Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Christianity
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: ...
More than once a week 3 6.82%
Once a week 19 43.18%
Once or twice a month 1 2.27%
Seldom 6 13.64%
Never 15 34.09%
Voters: 44. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-30-2011, 09:07 AM

4,437 posts, read 4,873,896 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by GoodToBeHome View Post
I go virtually every Sunday. Exceptions are sometimes vacation, illness, or weather.

Catholicism dictates that it is a mortal sin to miss church for no good reason. That's just the way it is.

Catholicism does not dictate that, the hiearchy dictates that, not many Catholics would agree with that; in fact my pastor has said if that is why you come to Mass that you should just stay home.

Could you tell me what good it does for a person to go to Mass if the reason they go is the threat of eternal punishment, do you actually believe in a God that is so egotisic and vain that he would condemn someone to hell if they did not show up at mass on Sunday.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-30-2011, 09:15 AM

A God that would do that would make Hitler look like a saint

Old 04-30-2011, 09:15 AM

889 posts, read 826,918 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ted08721 View Post
Catholicism does not dictate that, the hiearchy dictates that, not many Catholics would agree with that; in fact my pastor has said if that is why you come to Mass that you should just stay home.

Could you tell me what good it does for a person to go to Mass if the reason they go is the threat of eternal punishment, do you actually believe in a God that is so egotisic and vain that he would condemn someone to hell if they did not show up at mass on Sunday.
Who said that is why I go to Mass? By the way, if you are a reflection of your priest, he is an imposter, anyway.

Old 04-30-2011, 09:38 AM

11,825 posts, read 12,513,356 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Miss Blue View Post
People have many personal reasons for where and how they worship God..

God is pleased to hear from us no matter where we are.
If we are confortable with a group that is organized and follows a certain structured regimin that puts one in closer proximity to God, that is wonderful.

If we prefer to worship Him in the nature that he made specifically for us to see, feel and delight in the beauty he provided for our pleasure and we feel His nearness there that is also wonderful.

Many times people (even right here in the USA) worship alone, in silence because of circumstances that we may not know about or understand. God does, and their worship is just as worthy as the ones meeting together in buildings made for the gatherings of the church.

Because one has dropped out of religion done in buildings does not mean one has dropped God..

There is a reason why predators prey on the loners\weak. Either the prey is too oblivious, too careless, too self confident, too proud or in some cases been too injured.

People are no different.

A number of people come from being too injured by false teachers \ religions ( some of which are cults) and simply would rather be driftwood than to be "sucked" in again.

But whatever the reason .... they usually have several things in common,
  • an under estimation of their vulnerability 1 Peter 5:8
  • doctrinal unsoundness of the truth
    • the body isn't made up of one part 1 Corinthians 12:21
    • To accomplish the great commision requires more than driftwood Ephesians 4:16

Old 04-30-2011, 10:06 AM

Quote:
Who said that is why I go to Mass? By the way, if you are a reflection of your priest, he is an imposter, anyway.
Did I say YOU, better go back and reread my post.
Here we go again with you deciding who is and who is not Catholic.
Who do you think you are?

If they kicked out all the priests that would agree with my pastor there wouldn't be enough priests to say Mass in all the churches tomorrow.

Old 04-30-2011, 10:10 AM

4,323 posts, read 6,031,362 times
Quote:
You have turned your back on the Body of Christ. Regardless of your reasons, it is what it is. Christ didn't leave us a Bible. He left us a Church. You should go.
Actually, jesus not once taught from any church after He became Divine. A church is never necessary because God is within us all. All we have to do is listen to that still small voice within.

Old 04-30-2011, 10:28 AM

16,294 posts, read 28,564,335 times
Guess

Old 04-30-2011, 10:33 AM

37,340 posts, read 28,350,979 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Asheville Native View Post
Guess
Once a week ?

Old 04-30-2011, 10:49 AM

17,164 posts, read 11,419,353 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Reverend1111 View Post
Actually, jesus not once taught from any church after He became Divine. A church is never necessary because God is within us all. All we have to do is listen to that still small voice within.
There is much to be said for the importance of community, though. I don't think that churches, in general, do a very good job of fostering community in a way that's truly beneficial on most levels. For instance, in my experience in the denomination I've been with all my life, the main focus seems to be on making sure the members are in line with the denominational doctrine (because they believe that is what will "save" people). But I know there are some who are trying to change the focus for the better: the church as a relational community, where actively demonstrating Love to others (inside and outside of the community) is a main priority, rather than "getting new memebers". Imo, that's the best way to effect change within individuals, within the community, and within the world as a whole.

To answer the original question, I'm no longer a believer but I attend church regularly out of respect and love for my family. (I sometimes wonder if continuing to attend isn't a big part of the reason I'm still a heathen. )

Old 04-30-2011, 11:08 AM

13,640 posts, read 24,539,368 times
Quote:
You have turned your back on the Body of Christ. Regardless of your reasons, it is what it is. Christ didn't leave us a Bible. He left us a Church. You should go.
God knows I mean no disrespect for you nor any one on these forums but I believe "we" are the church.."we" are the bride of Christ..Where ever we are He is there with us simply because He dwells within and among us.He is the head of the church(bride of Christ) and we are the menbers no matter where we are.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Christianity