Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Christianity
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-05-2011, 11:18 AM

8,175 posts, read 6,924,107 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by sun queen View Post
I am struggling with Christianity in general -NOT my faith or belief in God or the Bible. However, God is love, but I don't see so much love among the people I know who say they are Christians. I see hatred, bitterness, intense dislike, intolerance, indifference and resentment. I make the quality decision every day to love... I practice it, but I got a long way to go... I have intense dislike and resentments toward some. And that is when I begin to wonder if maybe I am a backslider... too far away from God to be right even though I practice love and seek peace.

sun queen, I would say to stop thinking of it as being "backslidden". You're not backslidden. You're on a journey and you can't get to point B unless you're coming from point A. Try not to care too much about other people's actions, it has NOTHING to do with the reality of God, it has to do with THEIR own personal journey. Remember they are ALSO on this journey. Where you see hatred, bitterness, intolerance, etc. just realize these things are not proof of ANYTHING ABOUT God, it is only proof that they are struggling to understand God as much as anyone else.

You said, (and I FULLY agree) that "God is Love". Spend your time meditating and pondering LOVE. Make that the bigger part of your path and peace has more of a chance to enter in. Compassion and patience with others (which leads to the diminishing of that intense dislike and resentment you have towards some) will start to take stronger root.

and "strugging with christianity"... ha! As well you SHOULD! There is MUCH to struggle with in the Christianity that has been espoused by mankind.

Go back to the basics:

GOD IS LOVE.
1 Corinth 13 - meditate on it. It's a description of God.

The folks you have intense dislike for... try to take Miss Blue's words and incorporate that into your heart: dislike the actions, not the person.
Think of the people you have resentment for, and think of them as when they were children. Innocent, sweet, kind, gentle, etc. before the darkness of the world started to wrap around them. That child is STILL THERE buried beneath the hard scales that have formed from this world.
Find that child within yourself and within others.

You have a beautiful heart... you are not "backslidden". Again, you can't get to point B (love) unless you've been at point A. The stuff in between is your journey. Focus on love during your journey, let LOVE (God) be your journey.

hope this makes sense,
peace to you friend,
sparrow

p.s. Just wanted to add that whatever you overcome... you will be able to have more compassion and sympathy and help someone ELSE overcome these things as well. We're all in this together. AT some point in your future you may find you have overcome your resentment and love has filled the void. And you will stumble upon another traveler who is struggling with those issues you once had yourself. When our weaknesses have been turned into strengths... it is a joyous, and wondrous thing. God can turn anything around and make it something better. He turns our mourning into laughter. I've experienced that on more than one occasion. We not only mourn over death, but over weaknesses in our lives. Keep walking friend, lots of good things on the path ahead. Just keep focusing on love.

Last edited by .sparrow.; 05-05-2011 at 11:27 AM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-05-2011, 01:49 PM

4,883 posts, read 6,211,332 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by sun queen View Post
I am struggling with Christianity in general -NOT my faith or belief in God or the Bible. However, God is love, but I don't see so much love among the people I know who say they are Christians. I see hatred, bitterness, intense dislike, intolerance, indifference and resentment. I make the quality decision every day to love... I practice it, but I got a long way to go... I have intense dislike and resentments toward some. And that is when I begin to wonder if maybe I am a backslider... too far away from God to be right even though I practice love and seek peace.
Glad I'm not the only one that noticed this blatant reality that is prevalent in the realm of Christianity.

Sun Queen...you are a bright ray of sunshine in this forum and as long as you can recognize your behaviors when they don't line up with what Jesus taught and change them...you will become more and more Christlike until it is effortless...Gods mercies are NEW everyday...just keep at it and you will succeed where, sadly, most Christians fail. You've taken the first and most important step...realization.

Old 05-09-2011, 11:29 AM

25,080 posts, read 16,328,000 times
Sparrow and ChristyGrl, U move me and touch me with your encouragement... and so have the rest of the posters. I appreciate u all.. Thank you...
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Christianity