Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Christianity
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-04-2011, 05:03 PM

8,435 posts, read 10,526,082 times

Advertisements

I thought of this question in a recent thread but didn't want to derail it so here we are....

I hear people (Christians mostly) say that all you have to do is trust, believe, and/or have faith that God/Christianity is real yet I know countless humans that truly and with all their heart believe things that aren't true. Whether they are aware or not that the belief is erroneous.... What merit is it to believe, trust, or have faith in something?

I guess I'm asking why people say that is a requirement to be saved.... If I believe my husband is faithful, yet he's found cheating....what of my belief then? I just don't get how the belief, faith, or trust helps you when it comes to salvation.. Help?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-04-2011, 06:39 PM

14,076 posts, read 20,526,395 times
It's faith, trust and belief in Jesus Christ, not anyone else.

Old 05-04-2011, 10:19 PM

7,725 posts, read 12,618,642 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by katjonjj View Post
I thought of this question in a recent thread but didn't want to derail it so here we are....

I hear people (Christians mostly) say that all you have to do is trust, believe, and/or have faith that God/Christianity is real yet I know countless humans that truly and with all their heart believe things that aren't true. Whether they are aware or not that the belief is erroneous.... What merit is it to believe, trust, or have faith in something?

I guess I'm asking why people say that is a requirement to be saved.... If I believe my husband is faithful, yet he's found cheating....what of my belief then? I just don't get how the belief, faith, or trust helps you when it comes to salvation.. Help?
The only thing that gets you to Heaven is believing and confessing with your mouth that Jesus is the son of God and that he died on the cross for your sins. That is the requirement to be saved. There is no other way to God or Heaven. People are worshiping the virgin mary or acting like being a good person is enough. No. Jesus did not die on the cross for mankind so that we can reject him and live our lives the way we want to. He died on the cross so that God wouldn't have raged his wrath against us because of our sins and wiped us off the map. He died so we could live and go to Heaven with him. Jesus suffered a TERRIBLE TERRIBLE death for us. There is no excuse for you trying to find another way to God or go to Heaven through other means. God says the only way to Heaven is through his son, Jesus Christ.

Repentance is how you have mercy and are able to see the Lord and enter in the kingdom. The only unforgivable sin is the sin of blasphemy against the Holy Spirit. You can be forgiven for literally everything else. Divorce, cheating, cussing, lying, etc. God's mercy on mankind is full of unconditional love. If you fee like your not doing right by him, ask for forgiveness from the Lord and attempt to live right.

It's really that simple to be saved.

Old 05-04-2011, 10:43 PM

234 posts, read 238,317 times
Belief, faith and trust do not get anyone to heaven. The only way to heaven is through the Person you have belief, faith, and trust in. Your faith isn't in your belief or trust, it's in a Person. Jesus Christ. You trust Him to accomplish that which without Him is impossible. You trust Him for forgiveness, ( theological term 'justification',your license to heaven) and you trust Him for your change in habits and lifestyle ( theological term 'sanctification' ,your fitness for heaven).
And finally, you trust Him for your glorification at the second coming (your gift of immortality.)

Many people trust in their theology, their church, their traditions, their own good deeds, but there is only one way to salvation and eternal life.
John 17:3 And this is life eternal, that they might know thee the only true God, and Jesus Christ, whom thou hast sent.

John 14:6 Jesus saith unto him, I am the way, the truth, and the life: no man cometh unto the Father, but by me.

Old 05-05-2011, 03:56 AM

4,323 posts, read 6,023,692 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by katjonjj View Post

Belief in God, faith that when you ask for His Divine Love it will enter your soul and trust that all is working according to the will of God and not our will. When we rely on God to take care of us, all goes according to plan. When we rely on our own selves, things can get distorted to a point that we get frustrated and have to start all over again. Jesus showed us the way. Now it's up to us if we want to take that road or our own. When you get confused, take it to God and He will help you sort it out. It may not always be what you want but trust that God knows us better than we know ourselves. Just be Love and all things fall into place.

Old 05-05-2011, 04:03 AM

6,387 posts, read 6,367,648 times
I don't agree that belief is enough. There are many people who believe in Jesus Christ and carry a gun at the same time. WWJD??

We are all called to follow His footsteps, and to lead a peaceful life. Yet I have seen and still see so many who praise the Lord and support the death penalty. Either we follow Him, or we don't. We all must choose; it is impossible to keep our heads in the sand forever.

Blessings,
brian

Old 05-05-2011, 05:19 AM

14,076 posts, read 20,526,395 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ahigherway View Post
I don't agree that belief is enough. There are many people who believe in Jesus Christ and carry a gun at the same time. WWJD??

We are all called to follow His footsteps, and to lead a peaceful life. Yet I have seen and still see so many who praise the Lord and support the death penalty. Either we follow Him, or we don't. We all must choose; it is impossible to keep our heads in the sand forever.

Blessings,
brian

Some of Jesus' disciples carried swords and Peter even used his. The Lord did not rebuke him for carrying it, but for using it inappropriately.

And, even Jesus himself got quite violent with the money lenders, those who had turned the temple into a source of profit. And, He didn't have many nice, peaceable things to say about the Pharisees's either.

There is such a thing as righteous anger and righteous anger can result in righteous violence.

Old 05-05-2011, 06:19 AM

4,883 posts, read 6,210,831 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ahigherway View Post

Blessings,
brian
I agree with you Brian and I believe the scripture is pretty clear that it is way more than just having a belief in a person...it's about changing your LIFE AND THE WAY YOU LIVE IT!

Talking about it...is nothing but noise. Just saying...

Old 05-05-2011, 08:30 AM

8,435 posts, read 10,526,082 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ChristyGrl View Post
I agree with you Brian and I believe the scripture is pretty clear that it is way more than just having a belief in a person...it's about changing your LIFE AND THE WAY YOU LIVE IT!

Talking about it...is nothing but noise. Just saying...
That's kinda what brought about the question.... Why do people think that their belief excuses their bad behavior?

Thank you all for your insights.

Old 05-05-2011, 08:32 AM

889 posts, read 825,357 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by allenk893 View Post
People are worshiping the virgin mary...
Who would those be?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Christianity