Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Christianity
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 08-01-2011, 04:44 PM

63,809 posts, read 40,087,129 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by savedbysovereigngrace View Post
Christ did the offering of Himself as in a sacrifice. A Sacrifice and a Offering are one and the same. And the Offering was to God..
Nonsense. The sacrifice was to allow the religious ignorance, vengeance and injustice of the savage humans who killed Him with forgiveness. "Forgive them Father, they know not what they do." It is inconceivable to me that anyone could believe that God would require such a heinous scourging and death for ANY reason. That is not the God I love.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-01-2011, 06:10 PM

537 posts, read 457,037 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MysticPhD View Post
Nonsense. The sacrifice was to allow the religious ignorance, vengeance and injustice of the savage humans who killed Him with forgiveness. "Forgive them Father, they know not what they do." It is inconceivable to me that anyone could believe that God would require such a heinous scourging and death for ANY reason. That is not the God I love.
Many people have shared within these threads that Christ's atoning work was necessary for man's salvation.

What exactly did Jesus have to endure on man's behalf that we might become saved?

Old 08-01-2011, 07:05 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by JAA2310 View Post
Many people have shared within these threads that Christ's atoning work was necessary for man's salvation.
What exactly did Jesus have to endure on man's behalf that we might become saved?
He didn't HAVE to endure anything. Unfortunately, He was subjected to our ignorance and savagery during that barbarous era when His message of love was unwelcome because it threatened the power of the religious leaders and was disrespected as weakness by those seeking a King to overthrow the Romans. Enduring it WAS the sacrifice of love for us ALL. No greater love hath a man than . . .

Old 08-01-2011, 08:16 PM

Quote:
He didn't HAVE to endure anything. Unfortunately, He was subjected to our ignorance and savagery during that barbarous era when His message of love was unwelcome because it threatened the power of the religious leaders and was disrespected as weakness by those seeking a King to overthrow the Romans. Enduring it WAS the sacrifice of love for us ALL. No greater love hath a man than . . .
Understood. But did He make payment for sin on man's behalf so that we would not have to pay for our sins in some way?

The Bible speaks of Christ's atonement as His having been "delivered by the determined purpose and foreknowledge of God".

Jesus also said in John 12:27, "Now is my soul troubled; and what shall I say? Father, save me from this hour: but for this cause came I unto this hour."

So there was, indeed, a specific purpose in Christ's coming as Savior of the world...to atone for sin.

Last edited by JAA2310; 08-01-2011 at 08:41 PM..

Old 08-01-2011, 08:28 PM

Quote:
Understood. But did He make payment for sin on man's behalf so that we would not have to pay for our sins in some way?
The Bible speaks of Christ's atonement as His having been "delivered by the determined purpose and foreknowledge of God".
Jesus also said in John 12:27, "Now is my soul troubled; and what shall I say? Father, save me from this hour: but for this cause came I unto this hour."
So there was, indeed,a specific purpose in Christ's coming as Savior of the world...to atone for sin.
The sin (deficit) was our entire species inability to produce a perfect loving consciousness identical to God's (which is our purpose). Christ came to produce that perfect consciousness (perfect resonance = Identity) with His human brain. He corrected the deficit (atoned for it) so that the collective human consciousness would now have access to God consciousness.

Old 08-01-2011, 08:37 PM

6,822 posts, read 6,635,398 times
Quote:
The sin (deficit) was our entire species inability to produce a perfect loving consciousness identical to God's (which is our purpose). Christ came to produce that perfect consciousness (perfect resonance = Identity) with His human brain. He corrected the deficit (atoned for it) so that the collective human consciousness would now have access to God consciousness.
Anti-christ gospel. Mark it down folks and move on. Read the Bible for yourself and come to your own conclusion. Don't naively follow this lie.

Old 08-01-2011, 08:41 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by lee9786 View Post
Anti-christ gospel. Mark it down folks and move on. Read the Bible for yourself and come to your own conclusion. Don't naively follow this lie.
There isn't a single thing in there that is ANTI-Christ. Christ is our connection to God . . . the only Way we can join God is to attune our consciousness to His in "love of God and each other," period. His perfection covers our imperfections. What is ANTI-Christ about that?

Old 08-01-2011, 09:05 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by lee9786 View Post
I think the emphasis on God's love is wonderful. But I'd hate to see the bigger picture missed.

If we see just how terribly we've violated the law of God, and then see how wonderfully loving and merciful God was in saving us, the fact of our salvation should be that much greater.

Even a verse like Ezekiel 22:26 gives us an idea (see below):

Her priests have violated my law, and have profaned mine holy things: they have put no difference between the holy and profane, neither have they shewed difference between the unclean and the clean, and have hid their eyes from my sabbaths, and I am profaned among them.

The Bible does not hold back in its indictment against us for our wickedness. God plainly tells us, for example, in Isaiah 48:22:

"There is no peace," says the LORD, "for the wicked." And the antithesis of this is the peace we have in Christ as those who have come to Him for salvation (cf. Eph 2:14; Romans 5:1).

God is clearly not "playing", as it were, when it comes to the matter of sin. But, yes, His mercy, lovingkindness, grace....is much greater and more noteworthy than His anger against sin. And this is essentially because He took on a human nature, and in the person of the Lord Jesus Christ, made a way for man to escape the penalty he truly deserves for what he has done.

This is what makes Christ truly precious to the believer. His message of love and His awsome teachings are a joy and a blessing, indeed. But it is His atoning work on man's behalf that is the real story. That is the good news.

This is the essence of the "good tidings of great joy" that were brought to the shepherds that night when the birth of the long-awaited Savior was announced.

Old 08-01-2011, 10:19 PM

28,956 posts, read 16,357,412 times
Quote:
I think the emphasis on God's love is wonderful. But I'd hate to see the bigger picture missed.
In this hatred, you completely missed it; isn't that wonderful.

Old 08-01-2011, 10:34 PM

11,123 posts, read 6,388,135 times
Quote:
There isn't a single thing in there that is ANTI-Christ. Christ is our connection to God . . . the only Way we can join God is to attune our consciousness to His in "love of God and each other," period. His perfection covers our imperfections. What is ANTI-Christ about that?

Yep, let the same mind be in us that was in Christ Jesus.

We are to be of one mind with Christ
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Christianity