Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Christianity
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-15-2011, 09:09 AM

264 posts, read 456,615 times

Advertisements

I recently stormed out in the middle of my church's Sunday morning service after listening to a 30-minute "sermon" from a guest speaker.

The guest speaker was the head of a highly controversial political activism group who, after admitting he hadn't seen the inside of a church in 10 years, gave the type of lecture you would only expect to hear from an evening cable news political commentator. It appears that the church leaders invited this divisive personality to address a "sermon" on an issue which is only tangential to Christianity merely to grind a political axe.

Has anyone had a similar experience? I'm interested in spending Sunday mornings worshiping God, not having a political agenda shoved down my throat. In fact, this experience has upset me enough that I'm giving thought to leaving my church over it.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-15-2011, 10:34 AM

4,323 posts, read 6,009,623 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Econolodge-911 View Post
I recently stormed out in the middle of my church's Sunday morning service after listening to a 30-minute "sermon" from a guest speaker.

The guest speaker was the head of a highly controversial political activism group who, after admitting he hadn't seen the inside of a church in 10 years, gave the type of lecture you would only expect to hear from an evening cable news political commentator. It appears that the church leaders invited this divisive personality to address a "sermon" on an issue which is only tangential to Christianity merely to grind a political axe.

Has anyone had a similar experience? I'm interested in spending Sunday mornings worshiping God, not having a political agenda shoved down my throat. In fact, this experience has upset me enough that I'm giving thought to leaving my church over it.
Find a new one. They may be trying to go political and "sneaking it in" the Sunday service. God is alwys seperate from politics so if they decide they want to get political, even a little bit, leave and find another God centered church.

Old 05-15-2011, 12:15 PM

1,492 posts, read 2,682,846 times
yes and I would let them know WHY you decided to leave,too.freedom means the right to chose whom we want to vote for, without guilt trips or interference,just as we have the right to chose ,(or not to chose), religion here in this country.

Old 05-16-2011, 08:19 AM

13,640 posts, read 24,450,219 times
Well, I certainly never "stormed" out of a church service but I have not gone back because of hate speeches and actions towards everyone and everything not within their doctrine..

I never felt compelled to tell them why I left.. God knew why I left and I believe with all my heart that He led me to the door..

Old 05-17-2011, 02:28 AM

200 posts, read 251,622 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Econolodge-911 View Post

What is so sad here is how so many of these faithful will follow regardless of the fact that this person is one of the manipulators: one of those who's job is to find those flash-points with the evangelical, conservative folk and exploit them to further an evil agenda. Kind of like GWB/Dick Cheney/Karl Rowe (yeah, GWB was a "wonderful" Christian man, but what about the two mentioned who really drove the underlying policies?). You did the right thing! Our Lord and Savior is ABOVE the political BS of mortals (I reference Jerry Falwell who once mentioned Jesus, if he were openly dwelling the face of the earth at the time, would be a conservative republican).

Last edited by Snuffy63; 05-17-2011 at 02:29 AM.. Reason: Removed quotes from faithful.

Old 05-17-2011, 04:30 AM

1,492 posts, read 2,682,846 times
Jesus would be of neither party,imo.He didn't even answer political questions when He was on earth.He would be winning ppl over in the same ways He did when He was here..thru love and not politics.

Old 05-17-2011, 04:39 AM

3,576 posts, read 10,623,138 times
Never happened, but I can certainly understand why you'd be upset. Seems like leaving and finding a new church is a good idea.

Old 05-17-2011, 06:47 AM

1,040 posts, read 1,328,388 times
Has anyone ever read Daniel? Especially, Chapter 7. Daniels vision is of God, the Father's Christ, being given Kingship over the nations. Politics is definitely involved.

Old 05-17-2011, 06:50 AM

4,323 posts, read 6,009,623 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lionpainter View Post
Has anyone ever read Daniel? Especially, Chapter 7. Daniels vision is of God, the Father's Christ, being given Kingship over the nations. Politics is definitely involved.
God could care less about politics. It's a human condition. All God cares about is that we love. No politics there.

Old 05-17-2011, 07:01 AM

1,040 posts, read 1,328,388 times
Really, "One Nation Under God". That is what President Barack Obama said. How is it that I live in a house of cedar and have not paid a mortgage in 2 and a half years. Or property taxes?
Moderator cut: delete

Last edited by Miss Blue; 05-17-2011 at 11:39 AM.. Reason: reference to personal divinity was/will be deleted.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Christianity