Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Christianity
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-26-2011, 04:09 PM

723 posts, read 1,046,492 times

Advertisements

This thread is basically based on a discussion I was having with a Universalist. I do not recall the discussion in-depth. Although, I was reminded of the end of our discussion where I spoke as though I was the minority in my beliefs as opposed to Universalism which is the majority.............

Generally realizing that I was speaking in terms of posters on THIS forum, I came to realize that throughout the world we are both in the minority (as I do not believe in ET) when it comes to our beliefs. So my questions are not necessarily directed towards only UR's, but I am interested in hearing from any Christians who post on CD. When did you come to your beliefs? Was it before or after becoming a CD member? Did this forum help you discern what you believe to be truth? How many of you hold the same beliefs you have always held since before CD?

I would like to see a response by every Universalist (if possible). I am curious to know exactly how Universalism became a majority here on CD? I also thought it would be a good opportunity for all of us to thank another person who believes differently than ourselves for their roll in our walk with Christ!!

I can start.

I was raised to believe in a place called Hell where you were burned, and tortured with your worst fear for all eternity. Of course, my family was not really religious. My stepfather was the one who told me these things. I would later find out that he believes the same as I do now, and always did!! Why the extreme lying?? I couldn't guess why he would do such a thing, but God. I could understand God's reasoning for letting it happen. It forced me to seek the truth for myself. It only took the passing of my first child for me to seek it!! Through many quiet nights alone with only my bible did I come to my beliefs. Once I had established a base for my beliefs, I then started to search for others who believed as I do. That is where I found the CD forum. I can say that I have not changed much of what I believed before I became a member here, but I can say that many, many, of you have opened my mind to endless possibilities of a God who truly is ALL POWERFUL!!!!

There are soooo many here that I want to thank, but cannot remember all of them off hand........ So here goes my short list of those whom I whole heartedly would like to thank:

Phazelwood
pcamps
meerkat2
little elmer
ahigherway
twin.spin
sciotamicks
Ilene Wright
katjonjj
legoman
Eusebius
.sparrow.

GOD BLESS!!!
DALE

P.S. Ilene, I do not need your testimony I know it well!! JK / LOL
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-26-2011, 05:05 PM

9,455 posts, read 12,550,968 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ALMOST2L8 View Post
Generally realizing that I was speaking in terms of posters on THIS forum, I came to realize that throughout the world we are both in the minority (as I do not believe in ET) when it comes to our beliefs. So my questions are not necessarily directed towards only UR's, but I am interested in hearing from any Christians who post on CD. When did you come to your beliefs? Was it before or after becoming a CD member? Did this forum help you discern what you believe to be truth? How many of you hold the same beliefs you have always held since before CD?

I would like to see a response by every Universalist (if possible). I am curious to know exactly how Universalism became a majority here on CD? I also thought it would be a good opportunity for all of us to thank another person who believes differently than ourselves for their roll in our walk with Christ!!
One can ask the same question in regards to atheism being the majority view in the R&P section. While atheists comprise less than 5% of North Americans, I would venture to guess that well over half of the NA posters are atheists in this little section of CD. With that said, I think one reason is that 90% of Christians who hold orthodox views get weary of all of the UR stuff and leave. Simple as that. Just as Christians get tired of atheist stuff and leave this and other religious forums.

My beliefs-orthodox view- were established prior to coming here. Never really knew much about the UR theology After reading and considering the UR arguments I find them wanting and I disagree.

Old 05-26-2011, 05:05 PM

8,831 posts, read 11,625,672 times
Quote:

Ha ha you're too much!! I would like to hear from all the Universalists here also.....they've disappeared!! Thank you for saying that and I thank you too for sharing your life and hardships with all of us and it's good to see you here again!! I've missed you!

I know it seems like Universalists are the majority at this board but that is really far from being true. We're still the minority but we don't back down and that makes it seem as though we're in the majority. Just look around and you'll see.

God love you, you're loved and needed!! So......where do you stand right now as far as what you believe?

Old 05-26-2011, 05:21 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ilene Wright View Post
Ha ha you're too much!! I would like to hear from all the Universalists here also.....they've disappeared!! Thank you for saying that and I thank you too for sharing your life and hardships with all of us and it's good to see you here again!! I've missed you!

I know it seems like Universalists are the majority at this board but that is really far from being true. We're still the minority but we don't back down and that makes it seem as though we're in the majority. Just look around and you'll see.

God love you, you're loved and needed!! So......where do you stand right now as far as what you believe?
Ilene,
Perhaps you could be more specific.......

I could answer questions if you have them for me.

More than likely, if you read something from my past beliefs, it still rings true today!!

I have missed you too!! As well as others that I have had interaction with here on CD. Time is short for me on the forum, as I am working 2 jobs. I will post as much as possible. But I will definitely be reading the posts by everyone!!

GOD BLESS!!!
DALE

Old 05-26-2011, 05:29 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr5150 View Post
One can ask the same question in regards to atheism being the majority view in the R&P section. While atheists comprise less than 5% of North Americans, I would venture to guess that well over half of the NA posters are atheists in this little section of CD. With that said, I think one reason is that 90% of Christians who hold orthodox views get weary of all of the UR stuff and leave. Simple as that. Just as Christians get tired of atheist stuff and leave this and other religious forums.

My beliefs-orthodox view- were established prior to coming here. Never really knew much about the UR theology After reading and considering the UR arguments I find them wanting and I disagree.
I myself had never heard of Universalism until I became a member here. With that said, I too am weary of their belief system. Something just doesn't fit!!

Old 05-26-2011, 05:50 PM

9,455 posts, read 12,550,968 times
Quote:
I myself had never heard of Universalism until I became a member here. With that said, I too am weary of their belief system. Something just doesn't fit!!
For me it is not so much of the "eternal torment is wrong" thing. I don't lean towards annialation (ceaseing to exist), but I really have no quarral with that POV. Why? Because the orthodox view of Salvation is still there. Those who choose to be relationship with God thru Jesus, in this life, will spent eternity with God and those who don't, won't. Simple as that.

UR OTOH teaches that you don't need to choose Christ in this life to spend eternity with God. That is not what Jesus said. Many will be misled and not feel the need to accept Christ, because they think in the end they will be with God, regardless. With that said, any UR person who trusts in Jesus in this life will be saved. The blood of Jesus covers all (but one) sin.

Old 05-26-2011, 06:22 PM

175 posts, read 174,815 times
Howdy almost

Just wanted drop a line or two:

I too was raised in a home that believed in eternaltorture in a pit of fire, the baptist church i grew up in taught it and my parents was raised believing it, it was no other way to "see" it. However when i was about seventeen things just didn't "feel" right, questions about God and how He deals with His creation. it just didn't seem right what the church was teaching.

When i got out into the real world, working in the private sector and then into the military i realized i did not accept the gospel being preached, i grew to hate this God of christianity as they taught it, for 40 or so years i lived a life of treating others as i would like to be treated, i guess i was agnostic or if that was the true God then i wanted no part of it.

I have come to the knowledge (for about 6 or 7 years now) of the truth, and i did not find it in the confines of a brick and mortor bldg. i was "stopped" in my tracks as only God can do and He made me shout out for the truth, and i found it by "digging" for the truth through this amazing source of info, we call it the internet, i like you had never heard of UR until i stumbled accross info on the net.

There are some aspects i don't believe or agree with, but i believe that we are on the path where we are because that's where HE wants us.

There has been numerous websites, articles, writings from many that believe God is/has reconciled His creation, it's just a matter of His timing when ALL His plan comes to fruition.

Sorry to be long winded but this was a thumbnail sketch of what was on my itty bitty, i'll close with this thought (i found it on the net.....somewhere)

Mainstream christianity teaches that God foreknew who would come to the knowledge of the truth before the foundation of the world.

If that is true then that means that He started all of humanity in the Garden of Eden KNOWING that there would be the untold billions (unknown to man, He knows) would end up in the firey pit of hell and that makes Him the #1 monster of all times.

The church also teaches that God is ALL powerful and there is NOTHING He can't do (except save a man that doesn't want to be saved), if this was true He would know what it would take (throughout the course of ones life) for each individual to come to the knowledge of truth and love for God, but (i am not sure on this teaching of the church) He just won't.

That again makes Him #1 monster.

He is ALL powerful or He isn't

He could or He won't

If he won't then He is not very loving

Me personally, believe He is working out His plan for ALL humanity to come to the knowledge of the truth....as per 1st Tim 2:4

i think i agree with all of this

Peace in Gods' love

Old 05-26-2011, 09:28 PM

8,435 posts, read 10,531,736 times
Quote:
This thread is basically based on a discussion I was having with a Universalist. I do not recall the discussion in-depth. Although, I was reminded of the end of our discussion where I spoke as though I was the minority in my beliefs as opposed to Universalism which is the majority.............

I can start.

I was raised to believe in a place called Hell where you were burned, and tortured with your worst fear for all eternity. Of course, my family was not really religious. My stepfather was the one who told me these things. I would later find out that he believes the same as I do now, and always did!! Why the extreme lying?? I couldn't guess why he would do such a thing, but God. I could understand God's reasoning for letting it happen. It forced me to seek the truth for myself. It only took the passing of my first child for me to seek it!! Through many quiet nights alone with only my bible did I come to my beliefs. Once I had established a base for my beliefs, I then started to search for others who believed as I do. That is where I found the CD forum. I can say that I have not changed much of what I believed before I became a member here, but I can say that many, many, of you have opened my mind to endless possibilities of a God who truly is ALL POWERFUL!!!!

There are soooo many here that I want to thank, but cannot remember all of them off hand........ So here goes my short list of those whom I whole heartedly would like to thank:

Phazelwood
pcamps
meerkat2
little elmer
ahigherway
twin.spin
sciotamicks
Ilene Wright
katjonjj
legoman
Eusebius
.sparrow.

GOD BLESS!!!
DALE

Dale,

I'm honored to be on your list but hardly deserving!

My story: I grew up in a pentacostal church, all hellfire and tongues. I became an adult and realized I didn't like all the guilt that came along with it. I had serious self esteem issues as a result of never feeling good enough for my church.

A traumatic event caused me to escape by studying eschatology... I don't know why I chose that topic, but it changed the way I saw the bible. Not as present but as past accounts. It led me to study the bible for 2 solid years, along with every language I could and every text related to that time. In the end something audibly "clicked" when I read 1 Tim. 2:4 with my "new" eyes and mind.

The God I knew and loved wasn't the one the church described... He willed all to be saved. I think I visited the forum to find a place for civilized debate on these issues and many have helped open my eyes to more than I bargained for.

Old 05-26-2011, 10:12 PM

8,831 posts, read 11,625,672 times
Dale excluded me from sharing my testimony, so I won't but I would like to say that this board/forum is what brought me to where I am right now. If you wanna know where that is then dm me!! I'm more than happy to share with anyone who's interested. It may not be right away but don't worry, I'll respond. Godspeed.

Old 05-26-2011, 10:21 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ilene Wright View Post
Dale excluded me from sharing my testimony, so I won't but I would like to say that this board/forum is what brought me to where I am right now. If you wanna know where that is then dm me!! I'm more than happy to share with anyone who's interested. It may not be right away but don't worry, I'll respond. Godspeed.
I was just kidding, Ilene. Actually, I would love to hear more about your testimony!!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Christianity