Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Christianity
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 05-17-2011, 11:44 PM

207 posts, read 714,696 times

Advertisements

I was chatting with a friend of Facebook about sleep and said that I don't use sleep-aids to get to sleep (I do shift-work at the mines and I'm constantly bouncing from nights to days). I've tried sleep-aids/sedatives and noticed that I don't really get the quality of rest (groggy or not) that I do from natural sleep. I also noticed that I don't dream when using sleep-aids. I'm wondering if that's because sleep-aids suppress the spiritual (or the sub-consious) from sort-of 'coming-out' or expressing itself during sleep. I look at the person as whole as having 3 separate entities: the body, mind and spirit. The spirit is what God is mostly concerned with because it exists for all eternity and can never be destroyed. It will continue to endure, after death, in one of 2 places. I also see the spiritual person as more or less a separate person that must be redeemed by Christ's justification, but more important feed daily by reading of the Word and by prayer. My point is, during sleep, the spiritual person comes alive and becomes more aware of itself because during normal waking life, our spiritual person is suppressed by our 'flesh' - reason, logic, prejudices, presuppositions, etc. So dreams are just the spirit going threw your 'data-bank' and sort of just playing with memories (it has nothing better to do?) and creating meaningless scenarios which just jump from scene to scene. That's how my dreams are. They just don't make any sense. That's not to say I've never had spiritual experiences in dreams. In the Bible, God interacts with people in dreams because that's when the spirit is most awake and susceptible to the spiritual realm. I also believe that's why you can also come under demonic attack in dreams (night-terrors). I've had those and over the years I've learned to deal with them by rebuking them in the name of Jesus. So drugs will not give you the quality of sleep that you really need because they suppress the spirit (or sub-conscious for you humanists). The three parts of the whole person depend on each other in ways we don't fully comprehend. Matt 6:22,23 "The light of the body is the eye: if therefore thine eye be single, thy whole body shall be full of light. But if thine eye be evil, thy whole body shall be full of darkness. If therefore the light that is in thee be darkness, how great is that darkness!"

If you are feeding and growing your spirit with study and meditation of the Word then it the benefits will manifest themselves positively in your mind and body. Prov 3:24 "When thou liest down, thou shalt not be afraid: yea, thou shalt lie down, and thy sleep shall be sweet."
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-18-2011, 12:44 AM

1,492 posts, read 2,690,158 times
you probably do pass thru REM sleep when using meds,you just don't recall it because it is a deeper form of sleep when you use a sleep aid.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Christianity