Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Christianity
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-19-2011, 02:27 PM

14,076 posts, read 20,520,451 times

Advertisements

There's always a lot of talk about evidence of the truth of Jesus, or not, on these boards, so I thought I'd ask my fellow believers the above question.

What WOULD it take for you to come to the conclusion that you've been wrong and there really isn't a Jesus who was the Son of God?

For me, I think it would take His body. Show me irrefutable proof that someone has found His body and I'll concede it's all just a myth.

What about you?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-19-2011, 02:36 PM

5,303 posts, read 6,432,219 times
The problem is, that so many people who have come to Christ, seen the "unseen" guidance of His work in our/their lives. This is precisely what Christ was talking about when He said, blessed are those who could not see Him.....unlike Thomas..

Old 05-19-2011, 02:41 PM

14,076 posts, read 20,520,451 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by sciotamicks View Post
The problem is, that so many people who have come to Christ, seen the "unseen" guidance of His work in our/their lives. This is precisely what Christ was talking about when He said, blessed are those who could not see Him.....unlike Thomas..

Yes, I've seen that too and it's a powerful evidence. However, I also know that people see evidence in their lives of the reality of Vishnu or Buddha. If they didn't, they wouldn't dedicate their lives to them. Because of that, I think we should always at least consider the idea that we might be wrong. Basic intellectualism demands it.

So, in light of that, I asked the above question. What WOULD it take?

Old 05-19-2011, 02:45 PM

8,435 posts, read 10,521,971 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by stillkit View Post
Yes, I've seen that too and it's a powerful evidence. However, I also know that people see evidence in their lives of the reality of Vishnu or Buddha. If they didn't, they wouldn't dedicate their lives to them. Because of that, I think we should always at least consider the idea that we might be wrong. Basic intellectualism demands it.

Death certificate?

Old 05-19-2011, 04:33 PM

889 posts, read 825,027 times
Quote:

It's just a stupid question. Move on.

Old 05-19-2011, 04:34 PM

165 posts, read 138,827 times
Quote:
There's always a lot of talk about evidence of the truth of Jesus, or not, on these boards, so I thought I'd ask my fellow believers the above question.

What WOULD it take for you to come to the conclusion that you've been wrong and there really isn't a Jesus who was the Son of God?

For me, I think it would take His body. Show me irrefutable proof that someone has found His body and I'll concede it's all just a myth.

What about you?
You can't prove something DOESN'T exist.

You know that, right?

The burden of proof is not on atheists. It never has been.

Old 05-19-2011, 05:47 PM

9,455 posts, read 12,537,472 times
Quote:

What about you?
Been at this interweb debate stuff for over five years. I am still waiting for any evidence that would cause me to say I am wrong.

Old 05-19-2011, 05:49 PM

2,131 posts, read 4,912,564 times
Quote:

What about you?
A competing god makes its presence known and says that Jesus is just a myth.

Old 05-19-2011, 05:59 PM

13,809 posts, read 26,544,700 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BendBeav View Post
You can't prove something DOESN'T exist.

You know that, right?

The burden of proof is not on atheists. It never has been.
The burden of proof is not on agnostics or people who never knew the concept of a god. Otherwise atheism is a claim because not believing in a thing (Whether it's disbelief in extraterrestrial life or memes or the idea that Harappan is a writing system) is a claim. In the case of atheism it's a claim that goes against most of human history or experience. So yeah the burden is on you as much as anyone. Unless you're meaning the specific issue of Jesus, per the thread, rather than any kind of Deity or Supreme Being.

Anyway I don't think Jesus can be disproved, but if we're going down this route I suppose if we found complete written records of Galilee of his period and he is never mentioned that would be pretty devastating. And if we can go in the realm of fantasy if a time-viewing device was invented, and showed that Jesus didn't exist or was nothing special, that would be possibly inarguable evidence.

As for him existing we know from Pliny the Younger, Lucian of Samosata, and Celsus that Christians certainly existed by around 113 AD. I chose these names because they were all hostile to Christians so they would not have invented Christ out of personal piety. Christ is also not referred to, as I recall, as some ancient hero of legend by them. Celsus mocks the Virgin birth and claims Mary had sex with a Roman soldier. As Roman occupation doesn't appear to have occurred until 63 BC we can be pretty sure Celsus is not making him into a folk-legend from the age of Hercules or something. Generally I think we can be fairly sure from this, and other things, that someone named "Jesus Christ" inspired or formed a religion at some point between 63 BC and 113 AD. I obviously think we can be sure of a lot more than that, but I'm trying to be objective.

Last edited by Thomas R.; 05-19-2011 at 06:11 PM..

Old 05-19-2011, 06:26 PM

2,065 posts, read 2,160,192 times
Quote:

What about you?
His body can't be found because he had the spiritual power to disintegrate it. Jesus is alive as a spirit and spirits are as real as humans, except for no physical body, they look exactly the same way; however, they do become younger in their appearance the more their soul is purified.

If we follow Jesus' true teachings and pray for God's Divine Love, which is what he did to become a Divine man on earth, then he will come to us and allow us to feel his presence and love. He has done this with me and several of my friends who are receiving this Love.

So in order to verify this, you and everyone else will need to try the experiment... pray to open up your soul and allow the Holy Spirit to pour in God's Divine Love. Then call for Jesus and when he comes, make no mistake about it... you will know it's him.

P.S. He won't be dropping in from the clouds on Saturday, so if you're expecting that... best to just go on about your day.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Christianity