Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Christianity
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-22-2011, 03:31 PM

14,076 posts, read 20,460,391 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by 1984vt View Post
Thank you all for your replies. I have talked with her about her decision and the whys and it doesn't seem as she has been influenced other than "wanting Jesus in her heart" and "not needing to wait until she is an adult". I am just surprised at her convictions at such a young age-I certainly wasn't prepared at that age to understand and desire it.

Our preacher's eldest daughter accepted Christ at the age of 6 and nobody now doubts the authenticity of her redemption (she's now 35), especially her.

What did Jesus say about suffering the little children to come unto him? "...and forbid them not!"
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-22-2011, 09:09 PM

661 posts, read 1,180,888 times
No infants were baptized in the Bible. The chief example, Christ, was baptized at 30.

Old 05-23-2011, 06:23 AM

9,669 posts, read 9,935,234 times
It will depend on the Church were the child goes, If the child goes to a church were the gospel is preached and there is a evidence of the Holy Spirit were testimony going on and God is in the house, Then there would be not problem baptizing a younger child ....... But if the church has maybe one or two people who had experiences with God and Sunday Schools are empty and the church is fairly dry of Holy Spirit then I would have the child go and talk to the leader of the Church and have the child wait until he or she is older, because Jesus may not anoint the child if expectation on faith of salvation is not acted on .....and children my not even remember being saved when they reach their teen years ............

Old 05-23-2011, 07:23 AM

1,648 posts, read 3,255,503 times
Where is there a passage in the Bible that says "tomorrow" is a good time to get saved?

Old 05-23-2011, 07:46 AM

4,433 posts, read 4,848,429 times
The New Testament mentions whole households being baptised, one has to assume that would include both young and old, immediate family and extended family.
As Catholics we also look at it as becoming a part of our Christian community, we do not exclude infants from our community, later on they can reaffirm their commitment by taking part in the Sacrament of Confirmation.

In the Catholic Community the discussion is more on at what age should a person go through the Confirmation process.

Old 05-23-2011, 07:55 AM

We also do not look at being saved as a one time event, we look at it as a life time process.
On his way to Rome to be put to death Paul equates it to having ran a good race and now the prize is his.

Old 05-23-2011, 07:58 AM

On being saved as Catholics we believe that we have been saved, we are being saved and we hope to be saved.

Old 05-23-2011, 11:27 AM

88,077 posts, read 83,946,203 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ted08721 View Post
The New Testament mentions whole households being baptised, one has to assume that would include both young and old, immediate family and extended family.
As Catholics we also look at it as becoming a part of our Christian community, we do not exclude infants from our community, later on they can reaffirm their commitment by taking part in the Sacrament of Confirmation.

In the Catholic Community the discussion is more on at what age should a person go through the Confirmation process.
We do the same in the Episcopal Church (sometimes called "Catholic Lite", lol)

The Confirmation vows are virtually the same as the Baptismal vows the parents and congregation makes on behalf of the child.

Different traditions in different churches.

Old 05-23-2011, 12:44 PM

2,468 posts, read 3,115,633 times
From a child development perspective, 8 would be the youngest age.
That's the age when children begin to understand fantasy from reality, and abstract concepts, not just concrete.

Personally, it breaks my heart to hear stories of couples who were told that because they didn't get their infant baptized before they died, their baby will go to hell. Babies are innocent & baptism is supposed to be a beautiful symbolic ritual, not a "do or go to hell" mandate. Children, especially infants are innocent, they literally, can often do no wrong because they don't yet understand right from wrong. Of course, they learn & as Jesus, "increase in understanding" - then they become more accountable, as they get older.

Old 05-23-2011, 07:13 PM

27,898 posts, read 29,718,726 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 1984vt View Post
My 6 year old daughter wants to be saved. I myself did not make this decision until I was out on my own and in my twenties. I cannot help but feel she doesn't completely understand the redemption and Christ's sacrifice but, her sincerity and desire is very strong. I can't think of telling her no but am aprehensive about such a serious dedication at such a young age.

So, what is too young - I understand Catholics dedicate babies but, we are not Catholic.
Your six-year-old daughter already is saved. If she were to die today, she would inherit the kingdom of Heaven.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Christianity