Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Christianity
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 07-02-2011, 01:10 PM

63,803 posts, read 40,077,272 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by katjonjj View Post
Say you know God loves you but you fear hell. Is the love God has for you an illusion because of the fear of what he will do (hell) if you don't conform?
No your love of God is an illusion. God's love for us all is no illusion.
Quote:
Or is the fear of what he will do (hell) if you don't conform an illusion because God is love (i.e. loves you)?
This is the truth.

Old 07-02-2011, 01:15 PM

11,825 posts, read 12,491,540 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by rodgertutt View Post
No one will go to "hell" for eternity.
See my post #1145.
All of God's judgements will be age-during not eternal and will be corrective chastisement (kolasis aionian).
No one will then go to "heaven" for eternity either.

However, God will not treat the righteous and wicked alike. Not all are saved, that is only reserved for the righteous.

UR's wantonly use selective verses (not all of scriptures) to force God into saying the he will treat the righteous and wicked alike.

"God is on everyone who looks to him, but his great anger is against all who forsake him.Ezra 8:22

Old 07-02-2011, 01:18 PM

3,153 posts, read 3,406,855 times
Exclamation The greatest demonstration of God’s grace in action

Quote:
Originally Posted by twin.spin View Post
UR is the voice of Satan who insists that God will and should treat the righteous and wicked alike.
Satan can only be an instrument in God's hands.
Even Satan's greatest acts of opposition only further God's purposes.

C.S. Lewis wrote, “The greatest surprise for Satan will occur when he learns that he has been perfectly doing the will of God all along.”

Personally I think the greatest demonstration of God’s grace in action among the celestials will be when Satan bows in humble submission and love in front of His Lord and Saviour Jesus Christ.

Christ, Who taught His disciples to love their enemies, will display the richness of His loving heart and the efficacy of His blood, in the reconciliation of all of the invisible sovereignties which He created (Col. 1:16,20).

Wait until Satan finds out that all his antagonism will only heighten—on a day in the far future—his appreciation of God’s grace.

Old 07-02-2011, 01:20 PM

537 posts, read 456,964 times
Quote:
Yes, that is what 1Tim. 2:4 is saying.
Sooner or later all mankind will be saved from everything from which they need to be saved, including their stubborn will, because God Himself will achieve it.

Everyone will be saved, but those who need it will experience kolasis aionion which means age-during corrective chastisement. No one will experience it for eternity, because if they did, it wouldn't be corrective.

Greek scholar William Barclay wrote concerning kolasis aionion (age-during corrective chastisement) in Matthew 25:46
"The Greek word for punishment is kolasis, which was not originally an ethical word at all. It originally meant the pruning of trees to make them grow better. There is no instance in Greek secular literature where kolasis does not mean remedial punishment. It is a simple fact that in Greek kolasis always means remedial punishment. God's punishment is always for man's cure."

See what other Greek scholars say about it too.
AN ANALYTICAL STUDY OF WORDS
Chapter Eleven
Where does Christ fit into all this? He came for a purpose..."to save His people from their sins". What does the Bible mean when it speaks about eternal life, and those who will not have eternal life?

Old 07-02-2011, 01:25 PM

6,822 posts, read 6,634,329 times
Quote:
No one will go to "hell" for eternity.
See my post #1145.
All of God's judgements will be age-during not eternal and will be corrective chastisement (kolasis aionian).
What if you're exegesis is wrong? What if your sources are corrupt and wrong? At one time man thought the earth was flat too. They were wrong. Does the Bible say put faith in God or put faith in "Rodgertutt's" exegesis? < No offense just using this to make a point. Check our pride at the door. No where does God say "thou shall learn Hebrew and Greek". Therefore we can have confidence he's given us his word. Faith and trust are huge. I put these in the King James Bible. No esoteric interpretter needed. Not trying to be rude just making an important point. God is not the author of confusion.

Old 07-02-2011, 01:26 PM

3,153 posts, read 3,406,855 times
Lightbulb Both life aionion and kolasis aionion will come to an end

Quote:
Yes they will. But not because of the word aionios.
The first fruits of election, the remnant chosen out of each generation will be saved first. Then, by the time God's plan for the ages of time has been consummated everyone will have been saved from everything from which they need to be saved, including their stubborn will. Then eternity will continue.

Both life aionion and kolasis aionion will come to an end; then eternity will continue with all saved.

GOD'S PLAN FOR THE AGES OF TIME
THE EONS OF THE BIBLE WITH CONCORDANCE
The eons of the Bible With Concordance, God’s purpose of the eons.

Old 07-02-2011, 01:34 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by lee9786 View Post
What if you're exegesis is wrong? What if your sources are corrupt and wrong? At one time man thought the earth was flat too. They were wrong. Does the Bible say put faith in God or put faith in "Rodgertutt's" exegesis? < No offense just using this to make a point. Check our pride at the door. No where does God say "thou shall learn Hebrew and Greek". Therefore we can have confidence he's given us his word. Faith and trust are huge. I put these in the King James Bible. No esoteric interpretter needed. Not trying to be rude just making an important point. God is not the author of confusion.
The Bible can be studied. I believe God wants us to dig into His Word. The Hebrew and Greek can be a help to us in understanding certain things. I do agree, though, that our King James Bible (for example) gives us very helpful information to know God's truth through His Word.

My concern is with the idea that everyone is going to be saved. I had asked before what we are to do with the verses that speak of the distinction between those who become saved and those who do not. I think Rodgertutt is suggesting that all will mankind become saved.

Old 07-02-2011, 01:38 PM

8,435 posts, read 10,527,269 times
Quote:

However, God will not treat the righteous and wicked alike. Not all are saved, that is only reserved for the righteous.

UR's wantonly use selective verses (not all of scriptures) to force God into saying the he will treat the righteous and wicked alike.

"God is on everyone who looks to him, but his great anger is against all who forsake him.Ezra 8:22
Can you show evidence to first establish your "heaven" even exists as you imagine?

Old 07-02-2011, 01:41 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by katjonjj View Post
Can you show evidence to first establish your "heaven" even exists as you imagine?
Are you looking for physical evidence or evidence from the Scriptures?

Old 07-02-2011, 01:49 PM

8,435 posts, read 10,527,269 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JAA2310 View Post
The Bible can be studied. I believe God wants us to dig into His Word. The Hebrew and Greek can be a help to us in understanding certain things. I do agree, though, that our King James Bible (for example) gives us very helpful information to know God's truth through His Word.

My concern is with the idea that everyone is going to be saved. I had asked before what we are to do with the verses that speak of the distinction between those who become saved and those who do not. I think Rodgertutt is suggesting that all will mankind become saved.
The bible deals with 1st century people in 1st century situations. It does not address a future people except to say that "all things are made new" and "God wills all men to be saved."

Therefore, one can only assume all things are made new and all men will be saved.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Christianity