Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Christianity
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 06-01-2011, 05:18 PM

1,487 posts, read 1,707,091 times

Advertisements

I think most folks spend too much time on the word "Hell" and not on what this state of being is. Just as a child who is scolded and punished for a transgression(which seems like Hell to them at the time), that their respective parents thought needed instruction, so as not to repeat(hopefully)...so does the spiritual parent(God), do. But, that physical parent wouldn't keep the child in a constant state of punishment(instruction), because they(the child) would never grow and be able to learn from it. Seems to be(at least to me) the same way God does it. Just because the physical life ceases, doesn't mean the spiritual life does, and as the physical life teaches... so the spiritual one does, too. There is no end, so why would instruction end?

Old 06-01-2011, 05:50 PM

7,374 posts, read 8,759,564 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by twin.spin View Post
Pick up an KJV (non-mormon \ shriners version) and you'll have all of God's truth.
Pick up a NIV (1984 version) and you'll have all of God's truth.

Those who despise God and his word reject it's authoritative, inspired, completeness. They are enemies of Christ and his word.
It seems obvious to me that false religion creates enemies out of everyone who's understanding is not the same as yours. It brings division and destruction ...

I am certainly the enemy of the traditions of men which many subscribe to, and which they mistake for the gospel truth ... But i know that all enmity exists for a very good reason, and i try to appreciate everything, even the things that i do not agree with as having its own necessary value and purpose for being in the grand scheme of things.

My enemies are working for me in the long run, even though they don't realize it ... And vice versa. This is how change manifests to the good of all despite the tendency for everything to be corrupt.

Even the concept of hell itself is necessary, to make a valid point concerning the human condition and the extent to which the evil and vain imaginations of humans can manifest into such horrible and unthinkable doctrines and or teachings to which so many cling simply in order to have a sense of their own self worth. Death is not enough, the violence and thirst for vengeance needs must extend out not only indefinitely, but infinitely!

The teachings of hell and eternal torment also provide a stark and effective contrast to the real good news, that God is good and will accomplish he desire to save all people. It also provides convenient fear and reward tactics for the purpose of controlling some otherwise carnally minded people who need the promises of reward and retribution in order to motivate them to live in some sense of moderation. Just like how the law(even the misrepresentation of the law) is a school teacher, and it is good for controlling and teaching those who do not understand the higher spiritual truths.

Last edited by Ironmaw1776; 06-01-2011 at 06:33 PM..

Old 06-01-2011, 08:02 PM

28,091 posts, read 29,952,204 times
Quote:
Pick up an KJV (non-mormon \ shriners version) and you'll have all of God's truth.
The KJV is the KJV. What on earth makes you think the text of an LDS edition would be any different at all than the text of any other edition? They would be identical, twin.spin.

Old 06-01-2011, 09:27 PM

8,831 posts, read 11,621,075 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Katzpur View Post
The KJV is the KJV. What on earth makes you think the text of an LDS edition would be any different at all than the text of any other edition? They would be identical, twin.spin.
KJV onlyism. Yikes! I once knew a person who subscribed to that onlyism, and it drove him craziism. TS, let go and let God.

Old 06-01-2011, 11:24 PM

11,825 posts, read 12,490,212 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Katzpur View Post
No they are not identical......

my KJV doesn't have:
  • footnotes from:
    • BoM
    • Pearls of Great Price
    • D&C
  • chapter summaries that are from "Mormon perspectives" not found in King James Bibles published by other organizations
  • Maps not found in other KJV's
My KJV professes itself as complete, inerrent, inspired and enough for salvation.

Old 06-02-2011, 08:37 AM

7,374 posts, read 8,759,564 times
Quote:

my KJV doesn't have:
  • footnotes from:
    • BoM
    • Pearls of Great Price
    • D&C
  • chapter summaries that are from "Mormon perspectives" not found in King James Bibles published by other organizations
My KJV professes itself as complete, inerrent, inspired and enough for salvation.
Yeah the KJV was inspired and commanded to be written by a homosexual Power Monger(not that there is anything wrong with that) ... That doesn't make the pagan myth of hell which you so adore any more true!

Old 06-02-2011, 09:20 AM

28,091 posts, read 29,952,204 times
Quote:

my KJV doesn't have:
  • footnotes from:
    • BoM
    • Pearls of Great Price
    • D&C
You're concerned about the footnotes! Your paranoia over anything Mormon is so over-the-top it's not even funny. The text is identical. That's all that anyone reading the Bible should really be concerned with. The fact that a footnote may point out a related verse in another book is hardly worth quibbling over. And as for chapter summaries, if you find stuff like this objectionable, you've got a real problem:

Romans 5 "Man is justified through the blood of Christ -- Adam fell, and Christ atoned that man might be saved."
Romans 6 "Baptism is in similitude of the death, burial, and resurrection of Christ -- The wages of sin is death -- Christ brings eternal life."
Romans 7 "Law of Moses is fulfilled in Christ -- Paul delights in the law of God after the inward man."
Romans 8 "Law of Christ brings life and peace -- Those adopted as sons of God become joint-heirs with Christ -- God's elect are foreordained to eternal life -- Christ makes intercession for man."

Is there anything about any of that you take issue with? I just opened my Bible at random and posted four of the chapter summaries that are in italics before every chapter. Scary Mormon doctrine, huh, twin? And maps? Oh wow! That's a huge issue! A physical map of Palestine, a map showing the traditional route of the Exodus, a map of Solomon' twleve districts, a map of the kingdoms of Israel and Judah. Man, that stuff is really false doctrine. Seems to me maps could be useful to anyone reading the Bible.

Last edited by Katzpur; 06-02-2011 at 09:35 AM..

Old 06-02-2011, 09:26 AM

6,657 posts, read 8,127,889 times
I hate to break it to you twin.spin, but the KJV is not inerrant.

It still has this error:
[KJV] Matt 23:24 Ye blind guides, which strain at a gnat, and swallow a camel.

The correct translation is as follows:
[NIV] Matt 23:24 You blind guides! You strain out a gnat but swallow a camel.

The KJV would suggest that the figure of speech is referring to squinting at a bug, but eating a camel.

But the correct figure of speech is related to picking out small things: straining a bug out of your drink, while ignoring the camel you are eating. Penny wise/pound foolish kind of reasoning.

There are many other translation errors in the KJV, not the least of which is how it translates the word sheol with the word "hell".
Granted, most of these errors do not make a big difference one way or the other (except for the "hell" mistranslations), but you can't really call it inerrant.

Old 06-02-2011, 09:42 AM

17,966 posts, read 15,965,181 times
Legoman, and the camel was considered an unclean food to the Jews. So it was hypocritical to strain out a gnat while at the same time eating something hugely unclean.

Deu_14:7 Only this you may not eat of those bringing up the cud and of those bisecting the cloven hoof: the camel, the hare and the coney, for they are bringing up the cud yet do not bisect the hoof; they are unclean to you;"

Old 06-02-2011, 09:45 AM

6,657 posts, read 8,127,889 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Eusebius View Post
Legoman, and the camel was considered an unclean food to the Jews. So it was hypocritical to strain out a gnat while at the same time eating something hugely unclean.

Deu_14:7 Only this you may not eat of those bringing up the cud and of those bisecting the cloven hoof: the camel, the hare and the coney, for they are bringing up the cud yet do not bisect the hoof; they are unclean to you;"
Ah, thanks for that tidbit! Didn't know the camel was unclean. Makes sense with the figure of speech.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Christianity