Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Christianity
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 06-06-2011, 01:23 PM

5,303 posts, read 6,435,356 times

Advertisements

still trying to find the word Hell in the Bible....all I see is Lake of Fire...Gehenna...Sheol...and Hades...and none of them denote an eternal conscious tormenting place for post mortem souls.

Old 06-06-2011, 01:38 PM

6,657 posts, read 8,129,837 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by sciotamicks View Post
still trying to find the word Hell in the Bible....all I see is Lake of Fire...Gehenna...Sheol...and Hades...and none of them denote an eternal conscious tormenting place for post mortem souls.
Thankyou sciotamicks! (its fun agreeing with you once in a while )

Old 06-06-2011, 01:43 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Taratova View Post
You must know that the unbelievers will be caste into the lake of fire. Doesn't the word say that generally??Moderator cut: delete
Maybe you are referring to Rev 21:8?

Rev 21:8 But the fearful, and unbelieving, and the abominable, and murderers, and whoremongers, and sorcerers, and idolaters, and all liars, shall have their part in the lake which burneth with fire and brimstone: which is the second death.

But I was asking specifically about your statement:
Jesus said the unbelievers who reject his dieing on the cross as payment for their sins will be cast into the lake of fire

Nothing there in Revelations about "rejecting his dieing on the cross as payment for their sins".

In fact if you read the verse above it is more than unbelievers who go in the lake of fire. Murderers, sorcerers, liars, and other nasties all have their place there, along with the fearful. Interesting.

Old 06-06-2011, 01:52 PM

63,809 posts, read 40,087,129 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ceilinglamp View Post
I don't really care about hell. Our loving savior Jesus died for us so that we wouldn't have to care about it. I love God, I love my neighbor, and I trust that He has a good plan for me.
Amen! You have the right attitude. It is so simple . . . all else is human vanity and hubris.

Old 06-06-2011, 01:55 PM

17,161 posts, read 11,392,298 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by legoman View Post
In fact if you read the verse above it is more than unbelievers who go in the lake of fire. Murderers, sorcerers, liars, and other nasties all have their place there, along with the fearful. Interesting.

What a great point, Lego. (I'd have repped you, but can't.) I think how often FEAR played a huge part in the mental torment I suffered (still do sometimes) and it makes complete sense that I was/am taking a dip in the LOF at those times ... I'm surprised I never really paid attention to that word in that passage before.

Old 06-06-2011, 02:01 PM

63,809 posts, read 40,087,129 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Taratova View Post
Do you know there is a responsibility to God not to change the word?
We cannot change Jesus and He is the ONLY Word of God. But the scriptures we are to interpret as needed . . . as Jesus did. His parable of the "wineskins" is a direct appeal to not try to keep new generations of people in the old "wineskins" of belief. He changed the belief about the nature of God from the OT and He intended that we not continue to "drink milk" and ignore "solid food" as we lose our carnal (animal) attitudes and become more spiritual (knowledgeable).

Old 06-06-2011, 02:09 PM

5,303 posts, read 6,435,356 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by legoman View Post
Thankyou sciotamicks! (its fun agreeing with you once in a while )
Consistency drove me to this point...although I kicked and screamed for a bit..had to shed some bad mojo (creedalism)...no UR though still, however, it is clear, according to my premise of Consistent Preterism...that everyone has been reconciled. Now, whether or not the realization of that or not, has ramifications on the after life, I believe the scriptures are moot. So there!

Old 06-06-2011, 02:45 PM

Another good introduction study, for those wondering about "hell":

Honest Questions and Answers about Hell

You have to be willing to think about it though.

Old 06-06-2011, 03:38 PM

8,831 posts, read 11,623,201 times
[
Quote:
quote=Taratova;19470476]Oh yes, it is symbolic, It describes it as fire and an complete lake. Doesn't sound too good to me! Jesus described it as a place of torment and weeping and gnashing of teeth.
It is symbolic for God himself Taratova. He is the "consuming fire" and those that the Bible says are reserved for the "lake of fire" are reserved for God's consuming fire, which is NOT some eternal fiery hell. I don't believe it's even fire as we know it, but fire is used to describe it because it's the only thing we would sort of understand.

Quote:
By your dismissing it that there is no hell, you send many there. You believe all will be saved. Jesus spoke often of how others will send others to hell of perversion of the word.
By your beliefs you make the sacrifice of Jesus on the cross in vain because you believe we are all saved and hell does not exist.
I'm not dismissing spiritual correction, but I do dismiss the eternal torture chamber belief because that's not what the Bible says. It all depends on interpretation and the fact that so many things have been translated incorrectly. There is no perversion of the Word from my end, I believe the ET belief to be the perversion. Jesus' sacrifice was not in vain, how else would we be saved? He's the only way!!

Quote:
You say that Jesus was not needed at all. We just all get saved! Your message is NOT THE MESSAGE CHRIST GAVE US.
It's obvious since you have the typical ETer arguments that you don't know or understand the true nature of the belief of Universal Salvation. I would suggest you do a little research and try to understand what it is that we really believe.

Quote:
You have NO burden for others . You are not Christ like at all. You don't believe what Jesus told us in his very word. There IS A HELL!! You deny his truth daily in your group of non-believers and lead others to do the same. The others who you send to hell will be there with you and it will not go pleasant for you as you deny Christ's message that you must repent to be saved and accept Jesus as Lord and Savior.ONCE THEY ACCEPT CHRIST AND LIVE FOR HIM, THERE IS NO HELL OR DEATH FOR THEM!
Of course we have a burden for others, we want all to be saved now!! Why do you think we even bother to post here? How dare you say I'm not Christ like at all, you don't even know me. I'm more Christ-like now than I was when I believed in ET, just ask anyone who knows me!!

And as far as a group of "non-believers"......that's another typical ETer response out of ignorance to the fact that UR's are very much Christians and are spreading the love of Christ all over the place, unlike what I see from fundamentalist ETer's.

And Christian Universalists are not a group or a cult or anything even resembling something organized like most of religion.....we're just people who know that God is not going to torture most of His creation for all of eternity. There's no secret society or even UR churches, we all attend or have attended regular denominational churches and sit silently, knowing that what they are teaching about "hell" is so very wrong.

It's quite a lonely little equation if you're a UR. Everyone around you IRL more than likely still believes in ET and a lot of UR's, like myself, have not even been able to approach the subject with family and friends. I have one friend who sort of believes like I do but that's it.

It may seem like UR's are dominant at this board but that's not the case, we're just a handful of people scattered around the country who just happened to have found someplace to let us talk about it and that's C-D. Imagine how it feels to be called heretics and be silenced at all the other sites simply for believing that God is not going to torture people forever.

Quote:
Jesus died on the cross for the way that we will NOT GO TO HELL. It is his word and truth-all truth of what Jesus was saying in his word.
Jesus died on the cross so that we could be reconciled to God. He did a lot more than you think.

Quote:
Do you know there is a responsibility to God not to change the word?
No one has changed the word except the translators of the Bible. UR's just don't sit back and accept it, we researched it and have been very diligent in understanding what it all REALLY means. I suggest you do the same. There is plenty of material out there to study to truly understand the UR belief and why we are so adamant about it. Legoman just provided a good study in his last post.

Old 06-06-2011, 07:24 PM

2,057 posts, read 3,869,544 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MysticPhD View Post
We cannot change Jesus and He is the ONLY Word of God. But the scriptures we are to interpret as needed . . . as Jesus did. His parable of the "wineskins" is a direct appeal to not try to keep new generations of people in the old "wineskins" of belief. He changed the belief about the nature of God from the OT and He intended that we not continue to "drink milk" and ignore "solid food" as we lose our carnal (animal) attitudes and become more spiritual (knowledgeable).
Just to make sure you understand.... Jesus is not the Word of God. Christ (Anointing) is the Word of God.... and Jesus was the first begotten Son that was revealed in him the Word of God, or God himself. I know... it's tough to conceive... but here it goes!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Christianity