Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Christianity
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 06-06-2011, 07:54 PM

2,057 posts, read 3,856,583 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by legoman View Post
Another good introduction study, for those wondering about "hell":

Honest Questions and Answers about Hell

You have to be willing to think about it though.
I would most certainly love to discuss this topic with the writers of that website!

Old 06-06-2011, 09:44 PM

8,831 posts, read 11,582,561 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by migol84 View Post
I would most certainly love to discuss this topic with the writers of that website!
You can most certainly do that Migol84, that's probably available. It depends on who wrote it, I'll have to research that. If it was L. Ray Smith then he's really sick with cancer, so that's probably not a realistic goal at this point. But I'll check that and see.

Old 06-06-2011, 09:48 PM

Quote:
Ok, we're good here because L. Ray Smith didn't write it. Mercy Aiken and Gary Amirault wrote it so you can have all the discussions you want with them!! Alright! I hope you do, and report back to us.

Old 06-06-2011, 09:52 PM

8,435 posts, read 10,480,126 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Taratova View Post
yes, you wouldn't take your precious time to have a burden as Christ had a burden for his people.

As Jesus spoke-Oh Jerusalem , how I would gather you as a mother gathers her chicks , but you would not.

That is a burden and Christ loved them.
If I were in christs shoes I woulda died if that meant saving ALL men from any amount of torturous hell-fire. In fact, name a person and I'll take their place...

Oh wait, according to Christians, Christ DID do that!

Old 06-07-2011, 05:46 AM

6,387 posts, read 6,344,132 times
People have made the observation that Jesus spoke much about "hell," and they have also pointed out, that hell was almost never spoken of in the Old Testament. I think there is a reason for this.

Jesus came to reconcile the world to God, and He succeeded. ("For if, when we were enemies, we were reconciled to God by the death of his Son, much more, being reconciled, we shall be saved by his life." -Rom. 5.10)

That is, all of God's "enemies" were reconciled to Him through the blood of the only Begotten Son, Jesus Christ. We were all enemies, but now made nigh unto God through the Son.

Therefore, since we are all now "back into the house" (and Jesus knew that that was His mission to mankind), His words regarding punishment for disobedience are very important.

Because before Jesus' fleshly ministry, mankind was not in direct relation to God. But now we are. So, as a Father gives the car keys to his son, he gives both rewards and warnings. These were not given while the son was yet a boy, but only once he has reached the age of maturity.

Much of mankind doesn't act as though it is at the age of maturity, but nonetheless God has deemed us ready, and therefore He has given us the keys. Jesus' words were both of reward and warning, because He was giving all mankind the keys. With such priviledges comes responsability.

Just a thought..

Blessings,
brian

Old 06-07-2011, 06:29 AM

6,657 posts, read 8,093,219 times
Quote:
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ilene Wright View Post
Ok, we're good here because L. Ray Smith didn't write it. Mercy Aiken and Gary Amirault wrote it so you can have all the discussions you want with them!! Alright! I hope you do, and report back to us.
Yes you can probably email Gary directly.

There is also an active forum on tentmaker where people would be happy to discuss it.

Or we can discuss it here too! What were your thoughts?

Old 06-07-2011, 05:15 PM

5,303 posts, read 6,408,923 times
Quote:
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ilene Wright View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by legoman View Post
Yes you can probably email Gary directly.

There is also an active forum on tentmaker where people would be happy to discuss it.

Or we can discuss it here too! What were your thoughts?
Gary posts at Planet Preterist sometimes as well. Great guy.

Old 06-11-2011, 07:04 AM

869 posts, read 968,799 times
Quote:
legoman wrote: ....You have to be willing to think about it though.
Excellent advice! Unfortunately, for some that's tantamount to discarding a powerful weapon against Christianity and religion in general. When the prime directive is to do as much damage as possible by any means possible, then truth becomes both irrelevant and a disruptive inconvenience.

Old 06-11-2011, 10:23 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Radrook View Post
Excellent advice! Unfortunately, for some that's tantamount to discarding a powerful weapon against Christianity and religion in general. When the prime directive is to do as much damage as possible by any means possible, then truth becomes both irrelevant and a disruptive inconvenience.
You're right the belief in ET is a very powerful weapon against Christianity. Gonna take lots of work and effort to burst that bubble.

Old 06-11-2011, 10:45 AM

11,825 posts, read 12,434,921 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ahigherway View Post
People have made the observation that Jesus spoke much about "hell," and they have also pointed out, that hell was almost never spoken of in the Old Testament. I think there is a reason for this.

Jesus came to reconcile the world to God, and He succeeded. ("For if, when we were enemies, we were reconciled to God by the death of his Son, much more, being reconciled, we shall be saved by his life." -Rom. 5.10)

That is, all of God's "enemies" were reconciled to Him through the blood of the only Begotten Son, Jesus Christ. We were all enemies, but now made nigh unto God through the Son.

Therefore, since we are all now "back into the house" (and Jesus knew that that was His mission to mankind), His words regarding punishment for disobedience are very important.

Because before Jesus' fleshly ministry, mankind was not in direct relation to God. But now we are. So, as a Father gives the car keys to his son, he gives both rewards and warnings. These were not given while the son was yet a boy, but only once he has reached the age of maturity.

Much of mankind doesn't act as though it is at the age of maturity, but nonetheless God has deemed us ready, and therefore He has given us the keys. Jesus' words were both of reward and warning, because He was giving all mankind the keys. With such priviledges comes responsability.

Just a thought..

Blessings,
brian
Hell was talked about in the OT....but what can be expected that you would not see it in the OT when it is obvious the way God spoke about it in the NT.

"mankind was not in direct relation to God" ... in the OT

What do you call ......
  • Adam & Eve's eviction ... a UR experience
  • Cain's will to be banished over God's UR offer
  • Noah's insane weather forcasting
  • Tower of Babel
  • Abraham's adventures
  • The ten plagues
  • Pharaoh's army refusal to learn how to swim
  • Israel's failed military campains with subsequent multiple captivities
  • The falling walls of Jericho
  • King Darius' fasination with lions and their den
I really don't get it (actually I do ..just a phrase) do you people just get so wrapped up in the hysteria in proving just how wrong God is... that you mindless say things?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Christianity