Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Christianity
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 06-06-2011, 01:21 PM

33,465 posts, read 17,986,405 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by ChristyGrl View Post
And that my friends....says it ALL!!!!!!!!!!

I am thankful that my God is loving and there is absolutely nothing to FEAR.
Then why does the Bible say , the beginning of wisdom is the fear of God.. there is a healthy fear. To not polute the true message of God. If you do you are in danger of hell fire.

If you want the true wisdom , read the word of God and let the HOLY SPIRIT GUIDE YOU.. healthy fear is a good thing. It keeps one from doing harm to themselves.

Old 06-06-2011, 01:45 PM

17,156 posts, read 11,300,807 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Taratova View Post
Then why does the Bible say , the beginning of wisdom is the fear of God.. there is a healthy fear. To not polute the true message of God. If you do you are in danger of hell fire.

If you want the true wisdom , read the word of God and let the HOLY SPIRIT GUIDE YOU.. healthy fear is a good thing. It keeps one from doing harm to themselves.

You might think of it in terms of the words of Gal 3, Taratova ... fear/the law can keep one "under guard", even be a tutor. But that's only necessary until the faith of Christ (that God IS love, and there is no fear in love) makes the fear/law unnecessary.

Old 06-06-2011, 02:17 PM

4,883 posts, read 6,184,301 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pleroo View Post
You might think of it in terms of the words of Gal 3, Taratova ... fear/the law can keep one "under guard", even be a tutor. But that's only necessary until the faith of Christ (that God IS love, and there is no fear in love) makes the fear/law unnecessary.
Very nicely stated Pleroo...but I'll bet he won't believe that there is nothing to be afraid of from a loving God. But, then again, the God he professes belief in...isn't very loving at all. Just saying...

Old 06-06-2011, 02:28 PM

63,445 posts, read 39,695,513 times
Quote:
Then why does the Bible say , the beginning of wisdom is the fear of God.
The key word is "beginning" . . . NOT the end or even the middle. Our ignorant ancient ancestors were primitive savages who only responded to fear of authority (God, Pharoah, King, etc.). They had no conception of "love of God and each other" as the basis of SELF-CONTROL of their baser drives. The law was a schoolteacher for the childhood of our species. If you want true wisdom . . . grow up and learn to behave out of "love of God and each other" . . . not fear.

Old 06-06-2011, 02:55 PM

6,657 posts, read 8,084,478 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ChristyGrl View Post
Very nicely stated Pleroo...but I'll bet he won't believe that there is nothing to be afraid of from a loving God. But, then again, the God he professes belief in...isn't very loving at all. Just saying...
I always found it curious that the fearful have their part in the lake of fire:

Rev 21:8 But the fearful, and unbelieving, and the abominable, and murderers, and whoremongers, and sorcerers, and idolaters, and all liars, shall have their part in the lake which burneth with fire and brimstone: which is the second death.

Old 06-06-2011, 03:04 PM

4,883 posts, read 6,184,301 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by legoman View Post
I always found it curious that the fearful have their part in the lake of fire:

Rev 21:8 But the fearful, and unbelieving, and the abominable, and murderers, and whoremongers, and sorcerers, and idolaters, and all liars, shall have their part in the lake which burneth with fire and brimstone: which is the second death.
Oh...I'm quite sure he'll state that it won't apply to him...cause afterall...his fear is a healthy fear.

Old 06-06-2011, 03:17 PM

3,381 posts, read 4,169,921 times
Quote:

A good and loving father should warn his child about the dangers of crossing the street without looking, as his child may be run over ("punished") by a car. But, if that child ran into the street without looking ("rebellion") and got hurt or killed, would a good father set his child on fire (supernaturally keeping him alive forever) or send him/her into oblivion as punishment? Is that justice? Is that agape love?

Please take some time to do an in-depth study on the pagan origins of Christianity's and Islam's hell (they are very much the same). There is a reason Religion (and our world) is so out of whack. Consequences are real, but they always have a purpose.

Honest Questions and Answers about Hell
Ever Been to Hell and Back?
Jesus saves all mankind, the truly Good News, Christian universalism--Ultimate Reconcilation--Doctrine of Inclusion--Restitution of all--glorious gospel--Victorious Gospel of Jesus Christ

Love never fails. Love is kind. Love is gentle. Love is patient. Love does no harm.

Old 06-06-2011, 04:12 PM

4,323 posts, read 6,001,866 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pleroo View Post
God forgives. It's that simple. And this is what really doesn't compute about traditional Christianity... the idea that God could not or will not forgive people unless some criteria is met. If God is Love then it is his nature to forgive and he is not counting anyone's sins against them, nor keeping a record of wrongs. We deal with consequences for our sins because that is the natural law of sowing and reaping, not because God is punishing us.

And one of the natural consequences of thinking or acting out of non-love is fearing that God is angry with you and feeling separated from God.* Traditional Christianity seems to have never gotten over that fear, even though Jesus apparently came to show and tell people the Truth and told Christians to spread the good news: God FORGIVES, now live in Love. Why complicate it and why attach strings to it?

* ETA: Imo, that's where the whole sacrifice idea came in ... people were afraid because non-love left them feeling separated from God so they assumed God was angry with them. They wanted to appease what they wrongly perceived as a wrathful god and came up with the warped idea that God required something's or someone's death (certainly not their own!) in order to be able to forgive them.
Yes. He forgives the very second we do something that is out of harmony. It's us who have to forgive ourselves and others.

And I agree that is why the need for sacrifice comes into play with fundamentalists. To take the burden off of themselves when in all actuality the burden will always be upon them until forgiveness and they themselves reconnect to the Love that they are.

Old 06-06-2011, 04:13 PM

4,323 posts, read 6,001,866 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by stillkit View Post
I'd really like to continue these interesting discussions, but my Lord has called me out for a disaster relief mission once again, this time to Michigan.

I'll be back when I get back.
Be safe and I hope all ends well for all involved.

Old 06-06-2011, 05:05 PM

3,381 posts, read 4,169,921 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Reverend1111 View Post
I'm pretty sure that all those people you are referring to have indeed read the bible. I've read it. It doesn't mean we are on the exact same spiritual level as everyone else. And I don't recall anyone saying they hate God. You are making an assumption just because you disagree with others beliefs on God and the bible. It doesn't make you or anyone else right or wrong. It just means everyone is on a different level of upliftment.

I, personally, don't hate God. I absolutely adore and love Him. I've told Him how I feel if I don't like something, how I feel about Him if I have a bad day, I've even said I've been mad at Him. But that's between God and I and we've worked out our problems together just as a Father and daughter should do. So for you to accuse people of things is not for you but for others and God alone to work out. If they hate Him, let them as it will be worked out between them. You have no authority over anyone but yourself.

(I didn't know what to say. It was a perfect post. So I just smiled)
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Christianity