Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Christianity
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-30-2011, 12:55 PM

16,155 posts, read 12,849,571 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by legoman View Post
Hi Rafius,

If I may interject on this one point: that is a failed argument.

Infinite evil is not required to understand goodness. Evil is only a temporary necessity that is required only until the necessary good virtues (ie. compassion, patience, forgiveness, etc) have been learned.
Yo Lego. How goes the battle my friend?

It matters not how long it lasts. What matters is why an omniscient deity would create evil when he knew he wasn't going to be happy with the existence of evil (haven't you and I had this conversation before? ).
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-30-2011, 01:00 PM

6,657 posts, read 8,125,007 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rafius View Post
Yo Lego. How goes the battle my friend?
LOL neverending.

Quote:
It matters not how long it lasts. What matters is why an omniscient deity would create evil when he knew he wasn't going to be happy with the existence of evil (haven't you and I had this conversation before? ).
(Probably... )

Anyway the point is you cannot understand goodness without also understanding evil.

You cannot understand compassion without also having to understand suffering.
You cannot understand patience without also understanding what it means to wait a LOOONG time.
etc.

Old 05-30-2011, 01:10 PM

912 posts, read 826,785 times
Quote:
That is not what I said at all.

Let's try this from a different angle.

God is good.
Suppose you were God. How would you teach people to be good? How would you give people the experience necessary so they would understand why it is good to be good?
So then God teach's with a tool . A tool of evil , pain& suffering at the expence of others. A trick to emphasize the Love of God by demarcation....just like tricking myself by banging my head against the wall in order to enjoy my day with and without head pain in a comparrison.
Again a manipulative insecure God...in idea

Old 05-30-2011, 01:27 PM

16,155 posts, read 12,849,571 times
Quote:
Anyway the point is you cannot understand goodness without also understanding evil.
Why not? Why isn't it possible for an omnipotent deity to create a situation where goodness could be understood without the need for evil?

Old 05-30-2011, 01:42 PM

Quote:
Why not? Why isn't it possible for an omnipotent deity to create a situation where goodness could be understood without the need for evil?
He Did.....man continues to bang his head against the wall (evil)....for nothing

Last edited by Blue Hue; 05-30-2011 at 01:54 PM..

Old 05-30-2011, 01:53 PM

Quote:
Its called the logical law of identity.

A triangle has 3 sides. You cannot know what a triangle is unless you also know it has 3 sides.

Likewise, you cannot know what compassion is unless you also know that it involves helping and empathizing with someone who is suffering some evil.

If you wish to entertain the illogical to the point of violating the law of identity, then all words cease to have any meaning and then we can't even really have a discussion.

See what I'm getting at?

Omnipotence does not mean there are square circles or that God can make rocks too big that even He cannot lift them. It is the same with understanding goodness. An understanding of evil is intrinsic to the process.

Old 05-30-2011, 02:04 PM

Quote:
Its called the logical law of identity.

A triangle has 3 sides. You cannot know what a triangle is unless you also know it has 3 sides.

Likewise, you cannot know what compassion is unless you also know that it involves helping and empathizing with someone who is suffering some evil.

If you wish to entertain the illogical to the point of violating the law of identity, then all words cease to have any meaning and then we can't even really have a discussion.

See what I'm getting at?

Omnipotence does not mean there are square circles or that God can make rocks too big that even He cannot lift them. It is the same with understanding goodness. An understanding of evil is intrinsic to the process.
This philosophy denys progress in something or goodness (away from evil) ... evil is not neccesary. It is mans little invention ....not Gods.
Given thought is a submission in hopelessness . A neccesary evil. It also suggests by rule a neccesary self evil which we know is not neccesary. It is an illogical view blaming an all Loving God for man's invention in rejection of his becoming. trying to wiggle out of the discomfort in the growing process with un-natural wierd short-cuts. Evil.

Last edited by Blue Hue; 05-30-2011 at 02:17 PM..

Old 05-30-2011, 02:05 PM

9,229 posts, read 8,542,513 times
God created people and gave them free will -- the ability to choose. People choose to be good, or evil. I think it's pretty simple.

Old 05-30-2011, 02:07 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Blue Hue View Post
This philosophy denys progress in something (evil) & evil is not neccesary
It is a submission in hopelessness . A neccesary evil
Blue Hue you are totally not getting it.

Explain to me what compassion is without explaining what evil or suffering is. Try it.

Old 05-30-2011, 02:07 PM

77,005 posts, read 47,592,894 times
Quote:
For those who think God did not create evil, do you think evil existed before anything was created?
Darkness and cold existed before the universe was created. Or maybe I should not say they existed, because even today they do not exist, since they are only te result of removal of light and heat. In the same way evil did not need to ne created, it simply is, and always was the absence or good.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Christianity