Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Christianity
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-31-2011, 09:32 PM

13,933 posts, read 12,891,640 times

Advertisements

Alot of the time when I'm engaged in discussions with Christians on here I have told them that I used to be Christian but left the church when I got older because I no longer had faith. Alot of them would tell me that that's because I didnt have a "relationship with God"

What does it mean when you say that you have a relationship with God?

How do you know that you have this relationship?

What does it feel like to have this relationship?

What is it that you must do to have a relationship with God?

Is it a symbolic or literal relationship?

Thanks for the comments!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-31-2011, 10:37 PM

5,575 posts, read 6,500,449 times
//www.city-data.com/forum/chris...-when-they.htm

This is an almost exact repeat question from 6-29-11 by legoman. I thought this sounded familiar. Please click on link and you will be taken there and find your answers.

Old 07-31-2011, 10:45 PM

7,943 posts, read 6,063,228 times
you are bound to find some answers. maybe not the ones your looking for, but polythiests think they have "personal relationships" too... lol ask any two monotheists what their common partner has to say... and they will surely disagree. sad realities... for them, I suppose.

Old 08-01-2011, 06:45 PM

13,933 posts, read 12,891,640 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Michigan Transplant View Post
//www.city-data.com/forum/chris...-when-they.htm

This is an almost exact repeat question from 6-29-11 by legoman. I thought this sounded familiar. Please click on link and you will be taken there and find your answers.
Wow, these two threads are nearly identicle..... sorry bout that.

I usualy dont spend much time in the Christian forum but mostly out in the main forum. Should hyave run a search first i guess.

Old 08-01-2011, 07:36 PM

9,455 posts, read 12,540,287 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by WhipperSnapper 88 View Post
Wow, these two threads are nearly identicle..... sorry bout that.

I usualy dont spend much time in the Christian forum but mostly out in the main forum. Should hyave run a search first i guess.
But still a good question.

Relationship: Being connected in a mental and spiritual way. Someone who is present in your life on an ongoing basis. It's like you're neve alone. Having someone who cares about you and meets your needs, but sometimes not in the way you "want", Will be with you in the end and afterwards. Someone who who interupts your pity party, univited and says stop! Enough for now,,,,

Old 01-11-2012, 08:54 AM

33 posts, read 30,975 times
When I talk about having a relationship with Jehovah god Im talking about in a spiritual, mentally, and a emotional way.

Old 01-11-2012, 10:00 AM

10,213 posts, read 14,825,976 times
Actually, a personal, intimate relationship with the Living God, is similar in many respects to a real relationship with another person. It involves love, communication, dependence, truth and commitment.

For example, one may know all about the President, his family, his kids, dogs, political positions, etc., but, cannot truly say that they know (or are known by) the President. There is no real love, communication, dependence, truth or commitment in their 'knowledge.'

Similarly, many people know about God, the Bible, church, religion and philosophies regarding God; but, they do not truly have a personal relationship with Him (or He with them). There is no real love, communication, dependence, truth or commitment in their 'knowledge.'

Invariably, when people say, "I used to be a Christian, but,...." -- they mean that they attended church, gave lip-service to a belief in the Bible and claimed to be a Christian. Just as one does not stop loving their children, one, likewise, does not simply stop loving God.

If you want to have a true relationship with God, open your heart (not just your head) to Jesus Christ and ask Him to reveal Himself to you and give you the true joy, peace, love and truth that you seek. -- Without that, about the best you can do is 'religion', which is a poor substitute for 'relationship.'

Old 01-11-2012, 10:06 AM

10,295 posts, read 9,693,980 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jghorton View Post
Actually, a personal, intimate relationship with the Living God, is similar in many respects to a real relationship with another person. It involves love, communication, dependence, truth and commitment.

For example, one may know all about the President, his family, his kids, dogs, political positions, etc., but, cannot truly say that they know (or are known by) the President. There is no real love, communication, dependence, truth or commitment in their 'knowledge.'

Similarly, many people know about God, the Bible, church, religion and philosophies regarding God; but, they do not truly have a personal relationship with Him (or He with them). There is no real love, communication, dependence, truth or commitment in their 'knowledge.'

Invariably, when people say, "I used to be a Christian, but,...." -- they mean that they attended church, gave lip-service to a belief in the Bible and claimed to be a Christian. Just as one does not stop loving their children, one, likewise, does not simply stop loving God.

If you want to have a true relationship with God, open your heart (not just your head) to Jesus Christ and ask Him to reveal Himself to you and give you the true joy, peace, love and truth that you seek. -- Without that, about the best you can do is 'religion', which is a poor substitute for 'relationship.'

Old 01-11-2012, 10:07 AM

1,263 posts, read 1,389,221 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jghorton View Post

Amen!

Old 01-11-2012, 03:10 PM

299 posts, read 262,903 times
The Living God will establish a spiritual union within a naturally born human, but only if that human has complied with this prerequisite. Confess directly to God that you are truly sorry that Jesus' life was lost by bloodshed when he was crucified and be baptized in water to receive the forgiveness of past sins and the promise of the Holy Spirit living within you.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Christianity