Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Christianity
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-07-2011, 12:20 PM

63,779 posts, read 40,038,426 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by katjonjj View Post
the question Habakkuk tries to answer with his limited knowledge of the world:
Job 21:7 Why do the wicked live on, growing old and increasing in power?
Of course to someone who thought there was a god punishing them or blessing them with things like good weather, battles... IE PRIMITIVE views of nature/science. Yet you want to trust those guys knew what any god is like? Over what your own spirit within tells you about God? I find that utterly ludicrous!
What sin is covered if sinners are hated? We are all sinners, no one is righteous, not ONE. Why can't God help sinners to become "of God" like he did with you? Your idea of the god of exclusiveness is slightly appalling.
The simultaneous expression of belief that God is love and that God is exclusive is more than appalling . . . it is illogical and oxymoronic. Nice post.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-08-2011, 10:56 AM

672 posts, read 665,105 times
So God knows know Love outside of Christ Jesus ! Rom 8:39

39Nor height, nor depth, nor any other creature, shall be able to separate us from the love of God, which is in Christ Jesus our Lord.

So Jn 3:16 must be talking about the World that is in Christ Jesus !

Old 08-11-2011, 12:30 AM

672 posts, read 665,105 times
The Time of Love !

Ezk 16:6-8

6And when I passed by thee, and saw thee polluted in thine own blood, I said unto thee when thou wast in thy blood, Live; yea, I said unto thee when thou wast in thy blood, Live.

7I have caused thee to multiply as the bud of the field, and thou hast increased and waxen great, and thou art come to excellent ornaments: thy breasts are fashioned, and thine hair is grown, whereas thou wast naked and bare.

8Now when I passed by thee, and looked upon thee, behold, thy time was the time of love; and I spread my skirt over thee, and covered thy nakedness: yea, I sware unto thee, and entered into a covenant with thee, saith the Lord GOD, and thou becamest mine.

All whom God Loves, He Loves in Christ Jesus Rom 8:39

39Nor height, nor depth, nor any other creature, shall be able to separate us from the love of God, which is in Christ Jesus our Lord.

And because of this Love, He sent Him into the world that we might live through Him. 1 Jn 4:9

In this was manifested the love of God toward us, because that God sent his only begotten Son into the world, that we might live through him.

There comes a time of Love for each one of us when God says Live. Thats because we were dead in our Trespasses and Sins Eph 2:1; Col 2:13, because of God's Great Love with which He Loved us, He made us Alive ! Eph 2:4-5

4But God, who is rich in mercy, for his great love wherewith he loved us,

5Even when we were dead in sins, hath quickened us together with Christ, (by grace ye are saved )

God says to us if Christ died for us, Live ! Its your time of Love ! That is what God's Love accomplished through Christ Jesus our Lord. Through His Covenant Blood, the Blood of the Covenant Zech 9:11

As for thee also, by the blood of thy covenant I have sent forth thy prisoners out of the pit wherein is no water.

All for whom God Loved in Christ, shall be made to Live, and that everlastingly. None who will perish in their sins, was Loved by God !

Old 08-11-2011, 05:11 PM

37,337 posts, read 28,273,602 times
When the scales(the doctrines of men) have been removed from our eyes, you will know the reason he came was to demonstrate his love towards all men without exception. Are you a whosoever ? , then you're highly favored of God.

Is that the gnashing of teeth i hear ?.

Old 08-11-2011, 05:15 PM
DMV

559 posts, read 1,069,977 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by savedbysovereigngrace View Post
Romans 9:

13As it is written, Jacob have I loved, but Esau have I hated.

How can it be sincerely taught that scripture teaches that God loves all men without exception, when it specifically says of Esau, God Hated ?

And I got news for you, He did not only hate Esau, but all the workers of iniquity. ps 5:

5The foolish shall not stand in thy sight: thou hatest all workers of iniquity.

And they that work iniquity shall soon hear these words Matt 7:

23And then will I profess unto them, I never knew you: depart from me, ye that work iniquity.

Yes, these and those in ps 5 5 are the very same !
^^^ Seems like you've already answered your own question my friend.

Old 08-12-2011, 08:57 AM

4,883 posts, read 6,209,347 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pleroo View Post
Good news of great joy.
My sentiments EXACTLY...I can't understand nor can I comprehend how the "GOOD NEWS" turned into "BAD NEWS" and continues to remain "BAD NEWS" for sooooo many.

Old 08-12-2011, 10:32 AM

75 posts, read 101,150 times
Quote:
So God knows know Love outside of Christ Jesus ! Rom 8:39

So Jn 3:16 must be talking about the World that is in Christ Jesus !
Agreed...Jesus is the only ONE (man) God loves on this earth...and that includes the family God gave to Jesus, His only begotten son. When God sees me, he sees the one I cling to and trust, that is Jesus.

The prayer of Jesus, before calvary...

John 17:6-10
6 I have manifested thy name unto the men which thou gavest me out of the world: thine they were, and thou gavest them me; and they have kept thy word.
7 Now they have known that all things whatsoever thou hast given me are of thee.
8 For I have given unto them the words which thou gavest me; and they have received them, and have known surely that I came out from thee, and they have believed that thou didst send me.
9 I pray for them: I pray not for the world, but for them which thou hast given me; for they are thine.
10 And all mine are thine, and thine are mine; and I am glorified in them.

Peace...Rkin

Old 08-12-2011, 10:50 AM

8,166 posts, read 6,917,406 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ChristyGrl View Post
My sentiments EXACTLY...I can't understand nor can I comprehend how the "GOOD NEWS" turned into "BAD NEWS" and continues to remain "BAD NEWS" for sooooo many.

It's pretty bizarre, isn't it? Think of how much time we have wasted, how many lives have been destroyed, how many wars, how many murders, rapes, how much of this beautiful creation... people, animals, the earth has been ABUSED and trodden under foot. And look how much destruction and abuse has been done by those holding crosses in their hands. Look at how quickly the message was crucified. Look at how quickly Jesus was crucified. Think about it. Who crucified Jesus? The religious leaders of the day.

Think how things would be different if people were truly filled with the knowledge of the POWER of LOVE. Knowing that GOD IS LOVE. That LOVE is what created all. And all people LOVED their neighbor as theirself. Imagine if Love was not crucified on a daily basis.

Jesus' crucifixion and resurrection points to all of this, though and gives us hope. Though LOVE has been crucified.... that is not the end of the story. LOVE CONQUERS ALL. LOVE IS RESURRECTED.

He is the GOOD SHEPHERD. There is no where we can go that is TOO far into the darkness, that His hand cannot reach.

No matter how bad things get.... that is not the end of the story.

LOVE WINS.

No matter how far WE GO into this learning, No matter how FAR WE ALL WALK DOWN this PATH of the KNOWLEDGE of GOOD and EVIL, LOVE WINS.
and Non-love will become completely OBSOLETE. We will one day ALL see the big picture of what non-love did to EACH and everyone of us, and how LOVE OVERCAME. We will all see the big picture and non-love will become finally, completely and totally O-B-S-O-L-E-T-E.

No matter how DEAD Good may seem to be at any given moment, No matter how DEAD, LOVE may seem to be at any given moment.... Evil is ulitmately POWERLESS against LOVE. LOVE CONQUERS ALL.

LOVE WINS.

But I think this is the way it has to be, in order for creation to finally get it, I think we HAVE To walk this out together. To fully and clearly understand the POWER of LOVE, and the destructive nature of that which is OPPOSED to love. It just has to play out. We must experience it. But how far will we go? When will the tides turn...? When will more people wake up? Plenty of people HAVE woken up, and they come from ALL backgrounds, cultures and religions and non-religions. This verse always comes to my mind when I think of that:

After this I saw a vast crowd, too great to count, from every nation and tribe and people and language, standing in front of the throne and before the Lamb. They were clothed in white robes and held palm branches in their hands.

Sure some may say it points to something else. But for me, it puts the picture in my mind of all of those people in this world from all different backgrounds, no matter what label they wear, from all cultures, religion, non-religion who understand that LOVE is the most powerful thing there is and they are seeking out LOVE. IMHO, This is what being "In Christ" is. It isn't some impotent prayer to recite and rituals to perform. It is love overcoming that within us that needs to be overcome. And God doesn't see labels.

We know that God *IS* Love.

It fills me with hope, joy and love for my fellow man. And this is why to me, labels don't matter. If you follow love, THAT is what matters.

LOVE WINS. That is what gives us hope to keep going and keep putting as much love in this world as possible, because it most certainly is not in vain.
LOVE CONQUERS ALL.

peace.

Old 08-12-2011, 01:40 PM

3,153 posts, read 3,405,284 times
Post "Esau have I hated"

Quote:

Romans 9:13 "As it is written, Jacob have I loved, but Esau have I hated."

How can it be sincerely taught that scripture teaches that God loves all men without exception, when it specifically says of Esau, God Hated?
The word "hate" in Romans 9 concerning Esau should not take on the usual idea we have of bitter hatred.
Jesus said in Luke 14:26 "If anyone is coming to Me and is not hating his father and mother and wife and children and brothers and sisters, and still more his soul besides, he cannot be My disciple."

No, Jesus, in using the term "hating" in such a way as to mean that they were to be giving more attention to Him and His ministry and God and less to their father and mother.

He was not telling his disciples to actually have a bitter hatred toward their parents and not love them at all nor care for them at all.

Likewise, God did not show a bitter hatred toward Esau but in fact God blessed Esau greatly later on! It was just that God was showing greater attention to Jacob in blessing him rather than Esau at the time of getting the blessing of the first-born and thereafter. It was in that sense that "Jacob I love yet Esau I hate."

IMO, Calvinism is a cruel and unloving theology because it claims that God allows people to come into existence who, even though they can't do anything about it because they are totally depraved and are not one of the elect, deserve to suffer endlessly, and will suffer endlessly, except for a few that God will rescue from such a fate by His irresistible grace.

The Calvinist's god allows billions of people to come into existence and will not do anything to stop them from suffering forever.

How did John Calvin's beliefs affect his behaviour?

A snippet from
http://fascinatingpeople.wordpress.com/2008/12/17/a-tremendous-blasphemy-the-life-of-john-calvin-1509-1564/

"Calvin had a law voted that anyone who questioned his beliefs be executed. Those who breached his doctrines were punished or condemned. Most famously was his personal friend, Servetus. “For if he [Michael Servetus] came, as far as my authority goes, I would not let him leave alive,” Calvin expressed. And Servetus was sentenced to death. Calvin built the pyre himself and watched gleefully as Servetus screamed and begged God for mercy, enjoying the spectacle for several hours.

In addition to damning the living, one of Calvin’s reforms damns also their souls to eternal hellfire. The predestination theory which he espoused so fervently, declares: “God preordained…a part of the human race, without any merit of their own, to eternal salvation, and another part, in just punishment of their sin, to eternal damnation.”

John Calvin - not a bloke that I would like to have as my bosum buddy.

Old 08-12-2011, 01:45 PM

2,472 posts, read 3,196,723 times
Obviously not.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Christianity