Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Christianity
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 06-07-2011, 11:20 AM

9,895 posts, read 1,269,206 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike555 View Post
Because the Bible is the Word of God it has always been under Satanic attack. These attacks have taken the form of attempted physical destruction of the Bible as well as efforts to discredit it. Many make the claim that the Bible is not the word of God. These denials often come from those who claim to be believers in Christ. They will say something like there is only one Word of God and that is Jesus Christ. They will say that by recognizing and proclaiming the Bible to be the Word of God that you are guilty of idolatry.

Jesus Christ is the Word of God. He is the revealed Person of the Godhead. Old Testament appearances of God as the angel of Jehovah were pre-incarnate appearances of Jesus Christ. And at the right time in human history, in accordance with God the Father's plan, Jesus Christ came into the world as God incarnate. The God-Man. The unique Person of the universe.

The Bible is also the Word of God because it is God's message to man. It contains the words of God to man. The Bible is not merely a book detailing men's thoughts about what God is like. It is God's communication to men. His words are transmitted to us through its pages.

Jeremiah 36:1 'And it came about in the fourth year of Jehoiakim the son of Josiah, king of Judah, that this word came to Jeremiah from the LORD, saying, 2] ''Take a scroll and write on it all the words which I have spoken to you concerning Israel, and concerning Judah, and concerning all the nations, from the day I first spoke to you, from the days of Josiah, even to this day...17] And they asked Baruch, saying, ''Tell us please, how did you write all these words? Was it at his dictation?'' 18] Then Baruch said to them, ''He dictated all these words to me, and I wrote them with ink on the book.''

God gave His message to Jeremiah ---> Jeremiah dictated the message to Baruch ---> Baruch wrote the message ---> Baruch read the message in the temple.

Throughout this process, the message from God to Jeremiah, from Jeremiah to Baruch, to its being written on a scroll, it is the Word of God that is said to be both the original message as well as the end of the process.

This same process is seen in the New Testament in 1 Thessalonians 2:13 where Paul says, 'And for this reason we also constantly thank God that when you received from us the word of God's message, you accepted it not as the word of men, but for what it really is, the word of God, which also performs its work in you who believe.'

Peter recognized that all of Paul's letters had the same authority and weight as the Old Testament Scriptures. 2 Peter 3:15 'and regard the patience of our Lord to be salvation; just as also our beloved brother Paul, according to the wisdom given him, wrote to you, 16] as also in all his letters, speaking in them of these things, in which are some things hard to understand, which the untaught and unstable distort, as they do also the rest of the Scriptures, to their own destruction.

When He was tempted by Satan in the desert prior to beginning His public ministry, Jesus said to Satan, Matthew 4:4 ''It is written, 'Man shall not live on bread alone, but on every word that proceeds out of the mouth of God.' '' Where was this written? Jesus quoted from Deuteronomy 8:3. The words that proceed from the mouth of God are the words of God. The Scriptures are the word of God set down in writing and preserved forever for the benefit of all the generations of man.

When Jesus replied to a woman who had interrupted Him, He said in Luke 11:28 ''On the contrary, blessed are those who hear the word of God, and observe it.''

In Mark chapter 7, Jesus rebuked the religious leaders for invalidating the word of God by their tradition. Mark 7:13 'thus invalidating the word of God by your tradition which you have handed down; and you do many things such as this. They were violating God's command regarding one's duty to parents by sanctioning religious donations at the expense of helping one's parents. For Moses had said, 'Honor your father and your mother'; and, 'He who speaks evil, of father or mother, let him be put to death'. Jesus here was referring to the Mosaic Law as the word of God. The Mosaic Law had been given by God to Moses and Moses set it in writing. It is preserved in the Bible - the word of God for all time. The church of course is not under the Mosaic Law.

There are many references to the word of God in the Bible.

Psalms 119:97 'O how I love thy law! It is my meditation all the day.
98] Thy commandments make me wiser than my enemies, For they are ever mine.
99] I have more insight than all my teachers, For Thy testimonies are my meditation.
100] I understand more than the aged, Because I have observed Thy precepts.
101] I have restrained my feet from every evil way, That I may keep Thy word.
102] I have not turned aside from Thine ordinances, For Thou Thyself hast taught me.
103] How sweet are Thy words to my taste! Yes sweeter than honey to my mouth!
104] From Thy precepts I get understanding; Therefore I hate every false way.
105] Thy word is a lamp to my feet, And a light to my path.

Jeremiah 15:16 'Thy words were found and I ate them, And Thy words became for me a joy and the delight of my heart.

The book of Acts is full of references to the gospel being the word of God.

Acts 6:7 'And the word of God kept on spreading; and the number of the disciples continued to increase greatly in Jerusalem, and a great many of the priests were becoming obedient to the faith.

Acts 8:14 'Now when the apostles in Jerusalem heard that Samaria had received the word of God, they sent them Peter and John,

Acts 11:1 'Now the apostles and the brethren who were throughout Judea heard that the Gentiles also had received the word of God.

Acts 12:24 'But the word of the Lord continued to grow and to be multiplied.

Acts 13:5 'And when they reached Salamis, they began to proclaim the word of God in the synagogues of the Jews; and they also had John as their helper.

Acts 13:44 'And the next Sabbath nearly the whole city assembled to hear the word of God.

Acts 13:46 ''It was necessary that the word of God be spoken to you first; since you repudiate it, and judge youselves unworthy of eternal life, behold, we are turning to the Gentiles.

Acts 13:48 'And when the Gentiles heard this, they began rejoicing and glorifying the word of the Lord...

Acts 13:49 'And the word of the Lord was being spread through the whole region.

Acts 15:36 'And after some days Paul said to Barnabas, ''Let us return and visit the brethren in every city in which we proclaimed the word of the Lord, and see how they are.''

Acts 16:32 'And they spoke the word of the Lord to him together with all who were in his house.

Acts 17:11 'Now these were more noble-minded than those in Thessalonica, for they received the word with great eagerness, examining the Scriptures daily, to see whether these things were so.

The Bible is the word of truth.

2 Timothy 2:15 'Study to show thyself approved unto God, a workman that need not be ashamed, rightly dividing the word of truth.

2 Tim 3:16 'All Scripture is God-breathed (theopneustos) and is profitable for teaching, for reproof, for correction, for training in righteousness; 17] that the man of God may be mature, throughly furnished unto all good works.

All Scripture is God-breathed. The true concept of inspiration is that God's thoughts, His doctrines, His plan, His promises, and everything that God wanted us to know was communicated to the human authors of Scripture. Then, in the power of the Holy Spirit, they recorded this revelation in writing.

Under the principle of inspiration, the Greek noun θεόπνευστος - theopneustos - ''God breathed'' includes both inhale and exhale. In the inhale, the Holy Spirit communicated to the human authors, God's complete and coherent message. In the exhale, the human writers of Scripture so wrote that without waiving their human intelligence, their vocabulary, their personal feelings, their literary style, their personality, or individuality, God's complete message to man was permanently recorded with perfect accuracy in the original languages of Scripture.

The Old Testament Scriptures were endorsed by Jesus.

Luke 24:44 'Now He said to them, ''These are My words which I spoke to you while I was still with you, that all things which are written about Me in the Law of Moses and the Prophets and the Psalms must be fulfilled.''

After His resurrection, Jesus showed His followers all that was written in the Old Testament about the Messiah. About Him. The Law of Moses, the Prophets, and the Psalms are the three divisions of the Old Testament. Jesus showed them from different parts of the Old Testament, for example, Deut 18:15; Psalms 2:7; 16:10; 22:14-18; Isaiah 53; and 61:1-2a that He is the Messiah and that He had to suffer and die and rise again as prophesied (Luke 24:46).

Jesus anticipated the New Testament.

John 16:12 ''I have many more things to say to you, but you cannot bear them now. 13]''But when He, the Spirit of truth, comes, He will guide you into all the truth; for He will not speak on His own initiative, but whatever He hears, He will speak; and He will disclose to you what is to come. 14 ''He shall glorify Me; for He shall take of Mine, and shall disclose it to you.

Some people say that they are interested only in what Jesus said. And they disregard the epistles. They don't realize that what is written in the epistles are the words of God the Father given to the Holy Spirit concerning Christ, who communicated those words to the apostles who then communicated those words both orally and in writing.

Yes, the Bible is the Word of God. To disregard the Bible is to disregard God's message to man, and therefore, to disregard God Himself.
This is an excellent post Mike. Am I correct to assume that you believe 2 Tim. 3:16-17 that the Bible equips us THOROUGHLY? We need no other creeds, books, articles of faith, etc. All we ever need to know about our salvation and how to live a life pleasing to God can be found in the scriptures? I'm not debating here. I just want to know your thoughts on this. Regardlessof how you respond, I do think this is an excellent thread topic, and I completely get why you chose it. There are those on here who claim we worship the Bible, and put it above Jesus. They just don't get it! Maybe you can shed some light. I hope so.

Katie

Old 06-07-2011, 11:27 AM

63,797 posts, read 40,068,856 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SuperSoul View Post
I don't think anybody would claim perfection. Yet, I think I know what you mean.
You're concerned that people who deny the bible as the primarily source of authority are replacing it with self-worship, right?
Well, it's a concern I've had, anyway. I grew up with such strict religious beliefs & standards - & they helped instill good habits & values. When I realized that religion wasn't all I thought it was, I was tempted to throw it all out, yet if I would, I'd miss a good foundation or springboard of spirituality. Yet, if I clung to the fear & shame taught in that religion, my spiritual & psychological development would be hindered.
Some treat the bible like an authoritative parent - who they fear & who inspire shame. Maybe this is good while we're young, so we don't get hurt & do good. Yet, as adults, that fear & shame gets in the way & we need to realize & claim our rights & responsibilities for ourselves now.
The bible is like a mirror - it reflects back what's in our heart & mind - whether fear & condemnation or love & forgiveness.

Good points!
The bible isn't meant to be a history lesson, but a spiritual one.
Amen! Excellent post. The bold highlights the major misunderstanding of the Bible's role I have been trying to communicate. Thank you for pointing it out again.

Old 06-07-2011, 12:02 PM

33,571 posts, read 18,154,780 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Phazelwood View Post
You have no idea what your talking about. Where have I stated that the written word was a problem? I have pointed out that how people use that written word is a bigger issue and on top of that, you help make my point, you are talking about the spirit which goes beyond the written word.

Try to keep up, please.
The word is spirit.

Old 06-07-2011, 12:06 PM

5,925 posts, read 6,945,573 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Taratova View Post
The word is spirit.
I agree, so why are you arguing with people who disagree with the original post in this thread? The OP claims that it is impossible to gain Gods word without written words on pages of paper?

Old 06-07-2011, 12:09 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MysticPhD View Post
I couldn't agree more with you . . . but it is YOU who corrupts this understanding by substituting the Bible for Jesus and calling IT the Word. John did NOT say the Word was made Bible or the Word was made Scripture. or the Word was made Book. He said the Word was made FLESH which is a LIVING BEING JESUS CHRIST!!! Your teachers have led you seriously astray and they will have a heavy burden to account for.
My teacher is the HOLY SPIRIT .Do you read the Word of God?

Old 06-07-2011, 12:28 PM

Quote:
I agree, so why are you arguing with people who disagree with the original post in this thread? The OP claims that it is impossible to gain Gods word without written words on pages of paper?
If you do not read , how do you know God?
If you do not read the word of God , you do not edify yourself concerning the responsibility of following Jesus. To take up your cross and follow him. We have a job to spread the gospel and we have the commandment to study the word .

If you read your bible you would know what is required to being a vessel of God. We who are called are God's instruments since the Holy Spirit resides in us. As Jesus said, do we light a candle and put it under a bushel?

Christ said his people will conquer demons, and spread the Good News.
The true Christians know their calling. It is our Love of God that brings us into the realization that the world is lost without Christ and many are suffering because of the snares of Satanic bondage.

If one does love with Christ's love not just in word but in deed . To help those who need the love of God even if it is through a helping hand ,or something as small as a glass of water.

To be kind and gracious no matter what walk of life. We honor God by walking in love for one another. The Word of God is real and living in his people.

Old 06-07-2011, 12:43 PM

Quote:
If you do not read , how do you know God?
Through the spirit.

Quote:

If you do not read the word of God , you do not edify yourself concerning the responsibility of following Jesus. To take up your cross and follow him. We have a job to spread the gospel and we have the commandment to study the word .

If you read your bible you would know what is required to being a vessel of God. We who are called are God's instruments since the Holy Spirit resides in us. As Jesus said, do we light a candle and put it under a bushel?

Christ said his people will conquer demons, and spread the Good News.
The true Christians know their calling. It is our Love of God that brings us into the realization that the world is lost without Christ and many are suffering because of the snares of Satanic bondage.

If one does love with Christ's love not just in word but in deed . To help those who need the love of God even if it is through a helping hand ,or something as small as a glass of water.

To be kind and gracious no matter what walk of life. We honor God by walking in love for one another. The Word of God is real and living in his people.

All the rest of your post is a religious point of view that has nothing to do with the spirit at all. A persons spirituality is very difficult to put into words in the first place. The bible is useful for guidance, but it is not the totality of a spiritual walk with God. We say the word "God" because that is a word we bewen told to associate with what has been instilled in our heart. But many people have an understanding of the spirit that goes beyond words doing all the things you say and they have never read a bible. People impose spiritual depression upon others often without actually realizing it because they confuse their man imposed beliefs with being the word of God, and they are rarely the same.

Old 06-07-2011, 12:54 PM

Quote:
Through the spirit.

All the rest of your post is a religious point of view that has nothing to do with the spirit at all. A persons spirituality is very difficult to put into words in the first place. The bible is useful for guidance, but it is not the totality of a spiritual walk with God. We say the word "God" because that is a word we bewen told to associate with what has been instilled in our heart. But many people have an understanding of the spirit that goes beyond words doing all the things you say and they have never read a bible. People impose spiritual depression upon others often without actually realizing it because they confuse their man imposed beliefs with being the word of God, and they are rarely the same.
No , it is not a religious point of view. It is Christs view of us in his word. Read the word. It is all in there. Do you think I can find my own savior and create the Holy Spirit in me. NO! I am nothing . It is Christ -all Christ.

His instructions for his believers are in his word to us. He spoke them and I do not deny Christ.

Old 06-07-2011, 12:59 PM

Quote:
No , it is not a religious point of view. It is Christs view of us in his word. Read the word. It is all in there. Do you think I can find my own savior and create the Holy Spirit in me. NO! I am nothing . It is Christ -all Christ.

His instructions for his believers are in his word to us. He spoke them and I do not deny Christ.

Christ is merely an english word that represents what is already within you.

You also misunderstand what I am pointing out. You think I am saying you must find the spirit on your own, no, that is not what I am saying, I am saying that the written word is not necessary for the spirit to be revealed TO you.

Old 06-07-2011, 01:18 PM

33,227 posts, read 26,434,639 times
Quote:
Sure I do, the issue is that the bible is not needed for someone to be filled with Gods love. You are defeated by your own words and your forced to use words not in scripture to make your claims, fact is that no written word was ever needed for God to instill his spirit upon people. You have stated as such yourself and then only try to manipulate that into some doctrine that now people must listen to you to learn, hogwash.
No, you do not understand the issue. The issue is that with the completion of the New Testament canon of Scripture, God has, during the church-age ceased to communicate any additional matters of doctrine through other means. This fact has nothing to do with the fact of the Spirit filled spiritually maturing believer being guided by the Holy Spirit.

The issue is not whether God loves the believer whether or not he studies the Bible. God loves every unbeliever impersonally. He loves every believer personally. Whether the believer loves God or not depends on the extent to which he knows God. And that depends on knowing Bible doctrine by which means the believer comes to know God. You don't love God just because you say you do. If you are not obeying the commands to grow in grace and in the knowledge of Jesus Christ, and to study to show yourself approved unto God, as well as other commands, then you do not love God.

Quote:
Another false understanding. I do not have an aversion to commentary I am pointing out that the very fact that your need to provide words not in scripture to explain scripture contradicts the idea that ONLY through the bible can someone mature. You are not only using the bible, you are using the bible and YOUR words and appeals to human authority.
To the contrary. What I am saying is that no one can mature spiritually through the sayings of any religion or philosophy. For example, the words of Budda are meaningless as far as the Christian life is concerned. There is no spiritual value in the Koran. Staring at your naval in comtemplation while chanting 'ohm' over and over will not bring anyone closer to God. Only through the doctrines and principles that are found in the word of God can a believer mature spiritually. Explaining what scripture says does not contradict that fact.

Quote:
I have no problem with commentary, commentary is useful to show others what scripture mean to us. That is all you are doing, you are showing others what you believe about scripture, but it does not demonstrate that what you believe is truth.
Truth is absolute and has only one correct interpretation. The idea that no one can know the truth is part of what I think is called post-modernism. The lie is that truth is relative. The reality is that truth is absolute. To correctly understand the Scriptures requires properly comparing scripture with scripture and not isolating any one particular verse to build a doctrine on. Understanding that within the Bible is that which is literal, that which is allegorical, that which is poetic, that which is historical, that which is prophetic. Understanding that God's plan is dispensational in nature. One must set aside personal bias about what they think is true and be willing to listen to what the Bible really says.

Quote:
The premise is false. Folks pay attention here, this is where the deception come in quite craftily.

Your assertion here is only indicative of a claim that everything you believe is absolute truth. So it is very likely that someone who picks up a bible and starts reading it will not inherantly interpret it to mean what YOU say it means. So there is the fallacy, you will assert that because of that they need to listen to the teachers YOU listen to in order to become spiritually mature. The reality is that you are not spiritually maturing, you are only learning to parrot what someone else says the bible means.

So that is the falsehood of your statement.
That is a false assumption. You are under a mistaken belief that I ever implied that people need to listen to my pastor.

Spiritually maturing involves the fact that as the believer progresses spiritually, he will come to a better understanding of certain doctrines that he once did not understand. And also that as he comes to a better understanding, he may realize that he was incorrect about something that he once thought to be true.

Quote:
What can be asked here is if someone can come to spiritual maturity without believing everything YOU do and the answer is YES.
No. The question to be asked is if the believer is willing to study to show himself approved unto God, and rightly divide the word of truth and set aside personal bias and make the effort to learn what the Scriptures say.

Quote:
There is the inherant problem, you will have to use circular logic in order to demonstrate which pastor is worthy of teaching you and you will say that you test those spirits by reading the bible for yourself. That very fact shows that you can gain spiritual maturity without someone else leading you through some system of belief.
Acts 20:28 teaches that the Holy Spirit assigns a certain pastor to a certain congregation. 1 Peter 5:1-3 teaches that there are certain believers who are assigned to a certain pastor. God will lead the believer who is positive to the word of God to the right pastor. Most believers are not positive and if they go to a local church at all, it is one whose pastor does not even teach the word of God but instead has little devotional sermons.

You cannot grow to spiritual maturity without being under the teaching ministry of a prepared pastor teacher. You can make some progress, but only some.

Quote:
You have no idea what your talking about simply because your implying that what YOU believe is the only truth there can be from scripture again your reasoning only points back to the fallacy of your own claims. You claim authority by pointing to yourself as having that authority.
Again, properly understanding the Scriptures, rightly dividing the word of truth, depends upon those things I brought up earlier in this post.

Quote:
Whatever you want to call it, God can and does instill his spirit into peoples hearts without the written word, I meet them quite often.
If you are saying that you have met spiritually mature believers who have never learned the doctrines of the word of God, you have not. It may be that you are saying that you have met people who display a relaxed mental attitude toward other people and who don't judge, etc... But that is not in itself spiritual maturity. An unbeliever can be non-judgmental and display what you might call a loving attitude. But they are unbelievers and therefore are not saved. But this is really a sidebar and has nothing to do with the fact that the Bible is the word of God.

Since we both know that you are not going to believe much or any of what I am saying, I think that I have spent enough time on this with you.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Christianity