Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Christianity
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 06-07-2011, 07:02 AM

5,925 posts, read 6,943,763 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike555 View Post
To the contrary. It is you who do not and will not see the truth of the matter. The Bible is indeed the word of God as is Jesus Christ.

There are no apostles since the death of the apostle John. The gift of apostleship was given to the twelve for the purpose of establishing local churches at the beginning of this dispensation, and writing the New Testament. Apostles had authority over all the churches as opposed to a pastor who had authority only over his own church.

If by 'instilling his spirit into a human being' you are referring to the indwelling of the Holy Spirit, that comes at the moment of salvation through faith alone in Christ alone. As a result of gospel hearing, a person believes in Christ and is eternally saved. The gospel message is contained in the Bible. Now someone can read the gospel from the Bible and believe, or they can hear the gospel message from someone. Ultimately the source of the gospel message is God who had it recorded in the Bible.

Since the completion of the New Testament, God is no longer (during the church-age) communicating through angels, dreams, visions, prophets, or apostles. His message to the church is contained in the Bible which the believer must, under the filling of the Holy Spirit, transfer from the Bible into his soul where it is efficacious for spiritual growth.

There can be no spiritual growth apart from learning the doctrines and principles which are contained in the word of God. You are only deceiving yourself if you think otherwise.

Again your own words defeat you, before people wrote things down, it was orally transmitted, no written pages were needed in order to tell someone else about God.

You have again manipulated those facts in order to promote the religious doctrine that you agree with. This is proven by the fact that you make commentary using words not contained in scripture to tell people what YOU think the bible means. If the bible is what you believe it to be, then you would not need to write pages and pages of commentary to "explain" it.

There are people all over the world that naturally come to know what the written word Christ stands for because of God instilling in their hearts his word which is beyond written pages.

Your premise is that anyone who hasn't agreed with YOUR select doctrine is an unbeliever, so essentially you aren't actually following the bible at all.

Old 06-07-2011, 07:10 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by twin.spin View Post
I am not surprised that if a person (who doesn't believe that the Bible is the Word of God) holds the position their spiritual character isn't flawed.
It would stand to reason that if the Bible isn't the absolute authority...something\one fills the void.

No wonder people throw out the ridiculous claim that the Bible is "idolatry", it's a threat to the thing that filled the void....themself.

As I pointed out, most people are actually arguing against the premise that a particular persons doctrine is what the bible is conveying. The tone in which you and Mike and others speak concerning the bible is what sets the stage for the fallacy that you rest your points upon.

The stage being that when you say you believe a certain way and that the bible 100% supports your view then I would say that if indeed the bible is actually saying what spews out of your mouths, then no the bible is NOT the word of God.

Are you keeping up with that?

Old 06-07-2011, 07:14 AM

351 posts, read 354,962 times
Hey Mike how ya doing? I see you are catching a lot of heat here. One problem may be a definition of terms. The scriptures are the inspired words of God. They are true and they do not contradict each other ever.

Bibles are translation of the scriptures.

Some translations are better than other, some are pretty poor. It is impossible to translate one language to another with direct word substitution and make total sense. There are sentance structure differances and words meaning differances.

To get a true reading of the scriptures you need to check more than one translation and try to put it in context with the surrounding scriptures, and most important pray for God to open the scriptures to you like he opened the scriptures to the apostles. If God opens the scrirtures to you you will understand them, if he doesn't you won't, simple as that. If God does not open the meaning even the smartest people will not understand the scriptures. They will make no sense to them and seem to contradict each other and they will interpet them as they think they should be and that leads to conflict and disagreements. That is why people disagree on which Bible is closest to the scriptures. So check more than one source and pray for God to reveal the true to you.

Old 06-07-2011, 07:19 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ChristyGrl View Post
I honestly don't think he understands that FACT...he's stated several times that the Spirit can only speak to us through the written word of the bible and no other way...which is completely FALSE. I don't know where folks get these CRAZY ideas from because it certainly isn't from the bible.

It has nothing to do with anything other than people trying to convince others that only they are correct, what is actually funny about that is there are two people who have posted in this thread that disagree with one another and both claim that THEIR beliefs are what is 100% correct.

It is that behaviour that sets the stage for peoples comments about the bible, so as long as people like that stake claim to biblical authority, then people are going to argue that the bible is not the word of God, NOT because they actually have anything against the bible, but because they see that if the bible actually does support certain people doctrine then in their heart they know that is NOT GOD.

Old 06-07-2011, 07:45 AM

15,706 posts, read 11,767,786 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by sschulz View Post
Hey Mike how ya doing? I see you are catching a lot of heat here. One problem may be a definition of terms. The scriptures are the inspired words of God. They are true and they do not contradict each other ever.
Which scriptures? The Protestant Canon does not include all scripture. And I'd disagree that they never contradict. Coming up with excuses to explain away apparent contradictions doesn't mean there aren't any.

Old 06-07-2011, 08:10 AM

33,547 posts, read 18,143,148 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Phazelwood View Post
Again your own words defeat you, before people wrote things down, it was orally transmitted, no written pages were needed in order to tell someone else about God.

You have again manipulated those facts in order to promote the religious doctrine that you agree with. This is proven by the fact that you make commentary using words not contained in scripture to tell people what YOU think the bible means. If the bible is what you believe it to be, then you would not need to write pages and pages of commentary to "explain" it.

There are people all over the world that naturally come to know what the written word Christ stands for because of God instilling in their hearts his word which is beyond written pages.

Your premise is that anyone who hasn't agreed with YOUR select doctrine is an unbeliever, so essentially you aren't actually following the bible at all.
How you denounce the Word of God is an evil spirit that you cling to. Satan has lead you to this belief. It is amazing to me that you denounce the Word of God and putting your own beliefs in place to reject Christ the Word. You have denied Christ when you deny the Word. They are the same.

There will be many false Christs . The Bible is true. Do you realize what you believe?

You seek Christ here and there yet the Holy Spirit is the one who teaches us the Word which is Christ. His words are there . His Holy Spirit gives us guidance in the living message of Christ , plus Christ is the same yesterday, today and forever. The Word does NOT CHANGE! The Word is the foundation of Christianity and his people.

Old 06-07-2011, 08:11 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Taratova View Post
How you denounce the Word of God is an evil spirit that you cling to. Satan has lead you to this belief. It is amazing to me that you denounce the Word of God and putting your own beliefs in place to reject Christ the Word. You have denied Christ when you deny the Word. They are the same.

There will be many false Christs . The Bible is true. Do you realize what you believe?

You seek Christ here and there yet the Holy Spirit is the one who teaches us the Word which is Christ. His words are there . His Holy Spirit gives us guidance in the living message of Christ , plus Christ is the same yesterday, today and forever. The Word does NOT CHANGE! The Word is the foundation of Christianity and his people.

Again, you have no idea what your talking about, I have not denounced the word of God.

Old 06-07-2011, 08:25 AM

6,387 posts, read 6,366,046 times
Quote:
In the beginning was the WORD, the WORD WAS MADE FLESH (JESUS CHRIST) and dwelt among us. Jesus IS THE WORD!

Can't get any plainer that that! Jesus came down to speak the WORD to us.
If you read carefully, you will see that the Word of God was made flesh, not paper.

If the Bible is Jesus, then tell me, how much did your Jesus cost you at the bookstore? Did you buy Jesus on sale? Who printed your Jesus? Is your Jesus hardcover or paperback?

Peace,
brian

Old 06-07-2011, 08:29 AM

17,531 posts, read 24,687,243 times
Which Bible, I have seen at least ten different Bibles and now there is a new FOX News Conservative one. How can I accept as the word of god that which I know man has put forward in orde3r to achieve a political end

Old 06-07-2011, 08:31 AM

Quote:
You seek Christ here and there yet the Holy Spirit is the one who teaches us the Word which is Christ.

I'm wondering if you even realize the premise of the thread you are posting this in?

The OP says that what your saying is impossible, that you muist read written words in order for that to happen. Do you agree that written words are the only thing that makes what your saying possible?

If not, then you might want to slow down a little and just get away from posting in a thread while beating your religious chest.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Christianity