Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Christianity
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-06-2011, 08:38 PM

560 posts, read 1,291,884 times

Advertisements

Episcopal church in Bladensburg to convert to Roman Catholic parish - The Washington Post

The married priest is included. Would sacraments performed by a non-celibate priest have the same sacramental value as sacraments performed by a celibate priest?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-06-2011, 08:54 PM

1,040 posts, read 1,331,179 times
Absolutely, I'am married. That which is bound on Earth is bound in Heaven.

Old 06-06-2011, 08:56 PM

1,040 posts, read 1,331,179 times
Oh! yeah, more to come. A Kingdom is being built before you.

Old 06-06-2011, 09:49 PM

889 posts, read 825,586 times
It's GoodToBeHome. And there are more coming.

Snippet from article from above: (http://www.washingtonpost.com/local/...IKH_story.html)

"Leaders of the church said Monday that they were not leaving the Episcopal Church because of the ordination of gays and women — issues that have bitterly divided the American wing of the Anglican Church and coincided with stepped-up efforts by the Vatican to reach out to Anglicans. Instead, church members said, they were satisfying their longing for a clear religious authority by welcoming the leadership of Pope Benedict XVI."

“In the Episcopal Church, bishops in one place say one thing and in another say another,” explained Patrick Delaney, a lay leader from Mitchellville. “That’s the crux of it. Each bishop has its own kingdom.”

The Holy Spirit is working overtime.

Old 06-07-2011, 08:28 AM

179 posts, read 462,609 times
Even though it is not standard in the Western world, there are lots of married Roman Catholic priests among Eastern Europe and elsewhere that are married. Go to most Marionite, Byzantine Catholic, Eastern Catholic, etc parish and you will usually find a married priest. Eastern Orthodox, Oriental Orthodox, and Anglican priests are usually married as well.

I wonder if with the sexual abuse scandals and the shortage of Roman Catholic priests if the Vatican is considering encouraging a married priesthood again.

Old 06-07-2011, 08:36 AM

13,809 posts, read 26,558,648 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lucky★ View Post
Episcopal church in Bladensburg to convert to Roman Catholic parish - The Washington Post

The married priest is included. Would sacraments performed by a non-celibate priest have the same sacramental value as sacraments performed by a celibate priest?
Of course. I knew a married priest. Interestingly his daughter was very opposed to allowing Catholic priests to marry.

Old 06-07-2011, 10:45 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Amator View Post
Even though it is not standard in the Western world, there are lots of married Roman Catholic priests among Eastern Europe and elsewhere that are married. Go to most Marionite, Byzantine Catholic, Eastern Catholic, etc parish and you will usually find a married priest. Eastern Orthodox, Oriental Orthodox, and Anglican priests are usually married as well.

I wonder if with the sexual abuse scandals and the shortage of Roman Catholic priests if the Vatican is considering encouraging a married priesthood again.
They allow convert married pastors to become ordained priests. But priests cannot remarry or marry if they are not already married.

Old 07-01-2011, 12:44 PM

Here's the latest on the subject:
Episcopal Church in Maryland to Convert to Catholicism - FoxNews.com

Excerpt:
Deigh is happy to convert, saying, "I like it. To me, it's like going home. That's where the original church was. We are all one."

Parishioner Randy King says for him the conversion brings needed certainty. "We have a church that doesn't change. We don't have to worry one day or the other what is going to be said from the pulpit."

It's good to be home.

Old 07-01-2011, 02:32 PM

4,437 posts, read 4,867,259 times
meanwhile back at the ranch
Word From WEORC: ABOUT BRANDS

Old 07-01-2011, 06:45 PM

13,809 posts, read 26,558,648 times
I had a sense this could partly be that you're a tad annoyed by the idea of people entering orthodox Catholicism when they could stay in the more progressive of Anglo-Catholic Episcopalians.

Still we are discussing marriage and that article has what I think is a legitimate concern. Many priests are difficult when it comes to weddings. I don't think it's because they're celibate, but in this rare case I might agree it's relevant in some cases. My last priest was a sweet, but quite shy, Burmese man. He agreed to skip the whole "engagement encounter" thing for my sister, but I got the sense that was not to be "user friendly" so much as he didn't want to discuss married things or sex. The priests, like him, who are at the more "monastic/contemplative" end of the behavioral spectrum might occasionally be difficult. More often I've seen priests who have such concern about divorce they kind of end up discouraging people from marrying.

On the other hand though my parents had marriage counseling from a married priest and it did not go well. He just sided with my Dad as they were both husbands. Being celibates, ideally, can mean they can act more like a neutral party. A married priest might be prone to do what my parents priest/counselor did.

Last edited by Thomas R.; 07-01-2011 at 06:54 PM..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Christianity