Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Christianity
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-09-2011, 12:03 PM

63,809 posts, read 40,087,129 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by scgraham View Post
Love IS !! Not a word, but an action. How can people say that they love God and not obey Him? It's impossible. Jesus loves mankind (not their sin), and His actions were the evidence of His love. Therefore, if you love God, then you will get rid of sin, not to serve it any more; your action is evidence of your love. But, if your love is in word only, then you will continue to indulge in sin, the forbidden fruit.
The scriptures would beg to differ . . . it is a "state of mind" . . . or 1 Cor 13 would not describe actions done without love as worthless.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-09-2011, 12:14 PM

5,438 posts, read 5,944,684 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MysticPhD View Post
The scriptures would beg to differ . . . it is a "state of mind" . . . or 1 Cor 13 would not describe actions done without love as worthless.
A "state of mind" that brings forth love in action.

My little children, let us not love in word, neither in tongue; but in deed and in truth. - 1 John 3:18

When you take on the love in 1 Corinthians 13, you will measure up to 1 John 3:18. See how the scripture works in harmony? Therefore, we conclude that love is action, because the born again will love in deed and truth, not in lip service.

Old 06-09-2011, 12:24 PM

63,809 posts, read 40,087,129 times
Quote:
A "state of mind" that brings forth love in action.
But it is the "state of mind" (love) that defines the actions . . . not vice-versa.
Quote:
My little children, let us not love in word, neither in tongue; but in deed and in truth. - 1 John 3:18
When you take on the love in 1 Corinthians 13, you will measure up to 1 John 3:18. See how the scripture works in harmony? Therefore, we conclude that love is action, because the born again will love in deed and truth, not in lip service.
I understand your desire to emphasize works (and I agree) . . . but Love remains the "state of mind" that defines and leads to actions. If you use the actions themselves you can be led astray. "Giving to the poor" can be very unloving . . . if it is done for a tax deduction.

Old 06-09-2011, 12:41 PM

2,788 posts, read 5,092,366 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by pcamps View Post
Far more powerful than just loving those who love us.

Jesus Christ proved the reality of this power.

Jehovah had sent his only begotten son..so I may live forever..Jesus died for my sins..thats how much he loved me.

Old 06-09-2011, 12:58 PM

5,438 posts, read 5,944,684 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jeepgirl27 View Post
Jehovah had sent his only begotten son..so I may live forever..Jesus died for my sins..thats how much he loved me.
Do you love Him? It's not enough for Him to love you, but you must return that love.

John 15
[9] As the Father hath loved me, so have I loved you: continue ye in my love.
[10] If ye keep my commandments, ye shall abide in my love; even as I have kept my Father's commandments, and abide in his love.

Love is action.

Old 06-09-2011, 09:55 PM

2,469 posts, read 3,131,842 times
God is love.
What is love?

Old 06-09-2011, 10:47 PM

8,435 posts, read 10,528,565 times
Quote:
Do you love Him? It's not enough for Him to love you, but you must return that love.

John 15
[9] As the Father hath loved me, so have I loved you: continue ye in my love.
[10] If ye keep my commandments, ye shall abide in my love; even as I have kept my Father's commandments, and abide in his love.

Love is action.
What a burden you place on jeepgirl! It IS enough that he loves you. If I love someone and they don't return that love ... What is that to me? Not counting returns IS love... No record of wrongs...or rights. Just loving others as much as I love myself.

That is the only peace I have found.

This is why I hate to hear people say God wants "free will" love in return... No he doesn't. I know for a fact that it is MORE rewarding to GIVE love than receive it.

Old 06-10-2011, 01:55 AM

4,323 posts, read 6,024,660 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SuperSoul View Post
God is love.
What is love?
Love isn't a what, it's a who. Love is who you are. God is love and you were created from that Love. You are love made manifest. Our soul's purpose in this life is to be the love that we are.

Old 06-10-2011, 07:48 AM

2,469 posts, read 3,131,842 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Reverend1111 View Post
Love isn't a what, it's a who. Love is who you are. God is love and you were created from that Love. You are love made manifest. Our soul's purpose in this life is to be the love that we are.
Thanks, Reverend.
I agree that loving God, ourselves & others is our purpose... so it makes it even more important to define love.
How are we to be the love that we are?
What does it mean to love, as in the verb?

Old 06-10-2011, 08:53 AM

17,161 posts, read 11,392,298 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SuperSoul View Post
God is love.
What is love?

What obviously comes to mind is 1 Cor 13. Maybe that's too simplistic of an answer though.

Another passage that comes to mind is from 1 Jn 3:

18 Dear children, let us not love with words or speech but with actions and in truth.
19 This is how we know that we belong to the truth and how we set our hearts at rest in his presence: 20 If our hearts condemn us, we know that God is greater than our hearts, and he knows everything.

So, action is an important part of love.
But as I read this now, I also appreciate the idea that love must also include the TRUTH of NO CONDMENATION for ourselves or for others.... because God/'Love is greater than our hearts.

What I think that may mean is that at those times when I feel condemned by the fact that I'm not DOING enough because of my limitations (physical, emotional, psychological, circumstantial), those are the times I need to rest in the fact that God/Love in me is greater than me and it somehow trumps my weaknesses. And when I'm feeling judgmental towards someone else, or frustrated with them for not living up to my expectations, and I'm tempted to put condemnation on them, I need to remember the TRUTH that God/Love is in them too.

That's just what I'm taking away from this at the moment (maybe because I need to )... I could be off-base.

Anyway, this is a great question.

Last edited by Pleroo; 06-10-2011 at 09:02 AM..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Christianity