Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Christianity
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 06-12-2011, 04:01 PM

488 posts, read 1,251,348 times

Advertisements

so it is known that baptism is the outward and public expression of repentance and acknowledging Jesus as your Savior. Now I have a question about what we should really mean by 'public' for I am more inclined to believe that it is an outward/external expression of your faith rather than public. In most cases when someone receives water baptism (by immersion of course) some members of the denomination, as well as friends, relatives etc.. are present. In some cases, even photos are taken and videos are made, and after the process they clap and sing or whatever. However, In the book of acts you must have read the baptism of the Ethiopian man who was baptized by Philip.

And as they went on [their] way, they came unto a certain water: and the eunuch said, See, [here is] water; what doth hinder me to be baptized? (Acts 8:36)

And he commanded the chariot to stand still: and they went down both into the water, both Philip and the eunuch; and he baptized him. (Acts 8:38)

It just doesn't seem to me so public. The eunuch had no chance to invite anyone to see his baptism. He was actually travelling to Gaza reading the book of Isaiah and then he happened to meet Philip who explained this and that to him and then he was baptized.

The same thing we can recognize in the baptism of Paul.

And Ananias went his way, and entered into the house; and putting his hands on him said, Brother Saul, the Lord, [even] Jesus, that appeared unto thee in the way as thou camest, hath sent me, that thou mightest receive thy sight, and be filled with the Holy Ghost. And immediately there fell from his eyes as it had been scales: and he received sight forthwith, and arose, and was baptized. (Acts 9:17-18)

It seems to me that only Ananias and Paul were in the room. well this is something that we can't be sure of, but there are certainly more several scriptures depicting a baptism with no audience.

So, you think that being baptized with no-one present is as 'acceptable' as being baptized with hundreds of people around? I think what matters is that you received water baptism and not how many people saw or heard you acknowledge Christ as your Savior - This is something you can tell them at any time not necessarily during the process of baptism.

one more reason it interests me so, is I'm going to be baptized next week but the day it will happen is a very - how should I put it - 'busy day' and very few members of the denomination will be present (with no acquaintances at all). Do you think it should bother me?

thoughts?
Quick reply to this message

Old 06-12-2011, 04:09 PM

811 posts, read 809,981 times
A stdaium full
public means outward not in a crowded setting
If it meant a lot of people I'd have to redo it only 3 people were at mine, me, the preacher, and his wife
Why wait until next week? Find the time and do it now, only takes a few minutes

Old 06-12-2011, 04:22 PM

9,689 posts, read 10,012,828 times
Be Blessed that there are people who love you and want to come out and witness you baptism which can be a celebration of faith , that can help in a greater way, that you will believe and your conversion you will endure to the end ...... This celebration will give the Lord Honor into His command of His Word ........ There are church who baptize behind closed doors with some would say they need a conveyor rollers because many people did not remain in the church for very many years , some people went to this church to be baptized because their church did not baptize any body , so they went to the one which nobody came to hide from the church who did not have baptism

Old 06-12-2011, 10:34 PM

1,492 posts, read 2,689,746 times
I don't think it matters.the ppl there are ppl who care about you.. to support you and to share this moment with you...friends and family is not a public show.

Old 06-12-2011, 11:53 PM

28,090 posts, read 29,948,525 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by doesntspringtomind View Post
so it is known that baptism is the outward and public expression of repentance and acknowledging Jesus as your Savior.
Well, that's one way of looking at it. As far as I'm concerned, it's the way I entered into a covenant relationship with Jesus Christ and took His name upon me. I didn't do it to prove anything to anybody.

Quote:
one more reason it interests me so, is I'm going to be baptized next week but the day it will happen is a very - how should I put it - 'busy day' and very few members of the denomination will be present (with no acquaintances at all). Do you think it should bother me?
Not in the slightest. It's between you and your Savior. If you want to have a few close friends or family members there to share in the happy occasion, that's fine, but it's not necessary as that's not the point of your baptism.

Old 06-14-2011, 12:56 PM

488 posts, read 1,251,348 times
done! I've been baptized. Praise the Lord! Halleluia

Thanks for your responses

Old 06-14-2011, 05:05 PM

811 posts, read 809,981 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by VA palmetto View Post
Asheville native,

It seems you go out of your way looking to belittle others' beliefs. Some constructive comments would be nice once in a while.
ignore feature

learn it , live it, use it!!

Old 06-15-2011, 02:44 PM

63,793 posts, read 40,063,093 times
Default do you think it matters how many people are present at your baptism?

No.

Old 06-16-2011, 07:30 AM

5,925 posts, read 6,945,191 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by doesntspringtomind View Post
so it is known that baptism is the outward and public expression of repentance and acknowledging Jesus as your Savior. Now I have a question about what we should really mean by 'public' for I am more inclined to believe that it is an outward/external expression of your faith rather than public. In most cases when someone receives water baptism (by immersion of course) some members of the denomination, as well as friends, relatives etc.. are present. In some cases, even photos are taken and videos are made, and after the process they clap and sing or whatever. However, In the book of acts you must have read the baptism of the Ethiopian man who was baptized by Philip.

And as they went on [their] way, they came unto a certain water: and the eunuch said, See, [here is] water; what doth hinder me to be baptized? (Acts 8:36)

And he commanded the chariot to stand still: and they went down both into the water, both Philip and the eunuch; and he baptized him. (Acts 8:38)

It just doesn't seem to me so public. The eunuch had no chance to invite anyone to see his baptism. He was actually travelling to Gaza reading the book of Isaiah and then he happened to meet Philip who explained this and that to him and then he was baptized.

The same thing we can recognize in the baptism of Paul.

And Ananias went his way, and entered into the house; and putting his hands on him said, Brother Saul, the Lord, [even] Jesus, that appeared unto thee in the way as thou camest, hath sent me, that thou mightest receive thy sight, and be filled with the Holy Ghost. And immediately there fell from his eyes as it had been scales: and he received sight forthwith, and arose, and was baptized. (Acts 9:17-18)

It seems to me that only Ananias and Paul were in the room. well this is something that we can't be sure of, but there are certainly more several scriptures depicting a baptism with no audience.

So, you think that being baptized with no-one present is as 'acceptable' as being baptized with hundreds of people around? I think what matters is that you received water baptism and not how many people saw or heard you acknowledge Christ as your Savior - This is something you can tell them at any time not necessarily during the process of baptism.

thoughts?

Certainly it should bother you, if not enough people are there you could go to hell.

Old 06-18-2011, 05:42 PM

30,895 posts, read 36,946,537 times
No, it doesn't matter how many people attend.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Christianity