Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Christianity
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-18-2011, 12:44 PM

362 posts, read 318,644 times

Advertisements

Regarding Jesus’ phrase : "Ye have heard that it hath been said, Thou shalt love thy neighbour, and hate thine enemy. (Matt 5:43)

Quote:
Clear said in post #25 : “... nowhere in normative Judaism is it taught "to hate your enemies" (though it is taught to love your neighbor)

Pleroo remarked in post #27 : “I find this curious. I realize the phrase is not in the OT, but the actions governed by that belief sure are.
I agree with you that some religious individuals within Judaism “hated their ‘enemies’” (the sentiment expressed in the psalms) just as there are religious Christians who “hate their enemies” despite Jesus’ prohibition against this practice among us all. Yadin and other Jews correctly point out that the Christians seem to create “caricatures” of ancient Judaism by using hypocritical Abuses and descriptions of it AS Judaic doctrines in the same way that some religionists/non-religionists point out Christian hypocrisies as normative examples of what christianity teaches and does.

By the way Pleroo, your post #29 where you allowed yourself to “stand corrected” (whether you were in fact right OR wrong) was a very classy, very honorable thing to do in the midst of individuals who would have simply tried to cover up a mistake by further argument. Your credibility just went up on my scale and it was a good example of what all of us should do when we make a mistake.

Clear

Last edited by Clear lens; 06-18-2011 at 01:25 PM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-18-2011, 12:48 PM

28,956 posts, read 16,357,412 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pleroo View Post
I agree. I meant I stand corrected that the words themselves, to "hate my enemies", are not in the OT when, in fact, they are.
Yes, but those are only the thoughts of men.

Old 06-18-2011, 01:09 PM

28,956 posts, read 16,357,412 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Clear lens View Post
I agree with you that some religious individuals within Judaism “hated their ‘enemies’” (the sentiment expressed in the psalms) just as there are religious Christians who “hate their enemies” despite Jesus’ prohibition against this practice among us all.
Very true.

Quote:
By the way Pleroo, your post #29 where you allowed yourself to “stand corrected” (whether you were in fact right OR wrong) was a very classy, very honorable thing to do in the midst of individuals who would have simply tried to cover up a mistake by further argument. Your credibility just went up on my scale and it was a good example of what all of us should do when we make a mistake.
Your integrity has never been questionable.
But I will second the motion, "you are very elegant" in style and manner.

Old 06-18-2011, 02:27 PM

32,530 posts, read 22,029,149 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by VA palmetto View Post
In the new Testament, the writers were given the guidance of the Holy Spirit, which the Old Testament writers didn't have access to.
You're wrong there:
Psa 51:11 Cast me not away from thy presence; and take not thy holy spirit from me.

If the Old Testament writers did not have access to the Holy Spirit then what is David talking about in his psalm?...

Last edited by Richard1965; 06-18-2011 at 02:48 PM..

Old 06-21-2011, 11:01 AM

4,883 posts, read 6,211,332 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Richard1965 View Post
You're wrong there:
Psa 51:11 Cast me not away from thy presence; and take not thy holy spirit from me.

If the Old Testament writers did not have access to the Holy Spirit then what is David talking about in his psalm?...
EVERYONE has access to the Spirit...because it is WITHIN US ALL...Jesus taught us THE WAY to follow in which we can access it. This is a fact that the majority of Christians are truly ignorant of and it shows in their interpretations of the scriptures and the way they live their lives.

Old 06-25-2011, 02:05 PM

32,530 posts, read 22,029,149 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ChristyGrl View Post
EVERYONE has access to the Spirit...because it is WITHIN US ALL...Jesus taught us THE WAY to follow in which we can access it. This is a fact that the majority of Christians are truly ignorant of and it shows in their interpretations of the scriptures and the way they live their lives.
That is not the point i was making...

Old 03-14-2014, 08:12 AM

9 posts, read 9,118 times
About "hate thine enemies" - Jesus said "you have heard it said" not "it is written"

And about Christianity, after almost 2000 years, passed down through human hands and made up of humans, perhaps it has lost some of the gLory of its message, aNd, picked up some baggage along the way... most things ppl debate, are based on Christianity which is made up of people, as opposed to what the original intent of scripture written was.. which can be traced back closer to the original intent by looking up original words used - Hebrew for OT, Greek for NT

Old 03-14-2014, 09:44 AM

7,413 posts, read 6,228,034 times
There has been spiritual warfare behind the scenes, which is stated at the beginning of creation "...and darkness was on the face of the deep." (The fall of satan Isaiah 14:12). The first thing Satan accomplished in the garden was getting Eve to doubt the Word of God. He's still doing it today.

If the devil can get Christians to argue openly, that sends a bad testimony and witness to the observers and souls aren't saved; which is the only intent of the devil---to 'kill the spirit.' This is why there is so much contention with Christ followers, and not Buddhists, Mormons, Muslims, et al.

Old 03-14-2014, 09:53 AM

10,213 posts, read 14,832,045 times
Too many of these discussions base their merit on the wisdom of men instead of the power of God. Are we to presume that God's power was overcome by ancient ignorance ... or that God learned through human wisdom over the ages? I think not.

I Cor 2:4-5 ... my message and my preaching were not in persuasive words of wisdom, but in demonstration of the Spirit and of power, 5 so that your faith would not [b]rest on the wisdom of men, but on the power of God.

Old 03-14-2014, 12:14 PM

63,804 posts, read 40,077,272 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by daylux View Post
If the devil can get Christians to argue openly, that sends a bad testimony and witness to the observers and souls aren't saved; which is the only intent of the devil---to 'kill the spirit.' This is why there is so much contention with Christ followers, and not Buddhists, Mormons, Muslims, et al.
It is the "letter that killeth" . . . NOT the Spirit of the Gospel which is LOVE.
Quote:
Originally Posted by jghorton View Post
Too many of these discussions base their merit on the wisdom of men instead of the power of God. Are we to presume that God's power was overcome by ancient ignorance ... or that God learned through human wisdom over the ages? I think not.

I Cor 2:4-5 ... my message and my preaching were not in persuasive words of wisdom, but in demonstration of the Spirit and of power, 5 so that your faith would not [b]rest on the wisdom of men, but on the power of God.
Everyone seems to make this mistake because they treat the Bible as God and the letter as truth. It is the Spirit that is truth as your verse shows, jg. It is not God's power that was overcome. It was the Spirit of love that was overcome by savagery and barbarity. It is not God who has learned over the ages . . . but humans who have shed the ancient ignorance and superstitions of our ancestors cloaking the truth in savagery and barbarity. God's truth is CONTAINED in the Bible . . . but it is shrouded and cloaked in human ignorance and superstition. We who have shed that ignorance and superstition are able to find it with the help of the Comforter in the Spirit of "love of God and each other." That is sadly lacking in those who treat the Bible as God and the letter as truth . . . excusing Evil as Good by denying what God has "written in our hearts."
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Christianity