U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Covid-19 Information Page
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Christianity
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-29-2011, 11:53 AM

6,221 posts, read 6,978,448 times

Advertisements

What do people mean when they say they have a personal relationship with God?

Do you mean you know what God is like (how do you know)?
Do you mean you talk to God in your head, and He talks back?
Do you mean you feel His presence?
Do you mean you spend a lot of time in prayer and those prayers are sometimes answered (or not)?
Do you mean you feel thankful because you are saved (from whatever you think you need saving from)?
Or do you just mean you read the bible a lot?
Or something else?

I'm curious because I see that phrase a lot, and I wonder what people exactly mean by it.
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-29-2011, 02:07 PM

2,031 posts, read 2,873,749 times
In a nutshell, I talk to God all day long and he is involved in everything I do. He's my best friend.

Old 06-29-2011, 02:56 PM

22,029 posts, read 31,283,717 times
It means I know him intimately and He knows me. I talk to Him with my spirit and His spirit talks to me. Yes I feel His presence and know He is always with me.
Do you not have a personal relationship with Him?

Old 06-29-2011, 03:18 PM

9,275 posts, read 10,176,620 times
For me it means that God is involved in my life. He is a friend that never leaves me or forsakes me. It’s is like I am never truly alone. He also is at work in my life causing changes where I need/should change.

I feel I know God to a degree. Limited to be sure, but enough to have a true picture. Enough to understand.

This relationship is one reason the “best” arguments put forth by atheists fall flat for me. My thoughts in response are: but wait-your logic is flawed, because your premise (there is no God) is not correct. Not correct, because God reminds me of His reality. This I know. Not believe, but know.

Old 06-29-2011, 04:10 PM

8,543 posts, read 7,701,545 times
In Jeremiah 33: 3 The Lord God said ``Call to me and I will answer you and show you great and mighty things, which you know not``.... So this Jesus we are called to repent and turn from sin and Call on the Lord and continue to call of the Lord and when the Lord draws us , we can become Born Again into the Kingdom of Heaven ..... Then we are all called to claim the Baptism of Holy Spirit on our lives and when He comes the personal relationship into our lives can begin....The relationship with the Lord early on can seen One sided , but as time goes on and discernment of spirits is established the truth , ministries can be received and callings of the Lord will be developed ..... See with Jesus you share your body with the Lord Spirit and Jesus will never leave our forsake you , and God is like the spirit He put in you and took the authority of the dark spirits of the world away...... even though these dark spirits will come and haunt you , through prayer Jesus will rip them out and leave you with His Spirit time and time again in the world

Old 06-29-2011, 04:29 PM

488 posts, read 1,056,043 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr5150 View Post
For me it means that God is involved in my life. He is a friend that never leaves me or forsakes me. It’s is like I am never truly alone. He also is at work in my life causing changes where I need/should change.

I feel I know God to a degree. Limited to be sure, but enough to have a true picture. Enough to understand.

This relationship is one reason the “best” arguments put forth by atheists fall flat for me. My thoughts in response are: but wait-your logic is flawed, because your premise (there is no God) is not correct. Not correct, because God reminds me of His reality. This I know. Not believe, but know.

God is wonderful and He is definitely involved in my life too.. I share all my problems, emotions, all the little things - good and bad with Him.. He is the first on my mind , in my heart and soul when i wake up, yeah definitely it's like we are never truly alone. He is always with us, and of this I am sure

Old 06-29-2011, 05:43 PM
Status: "Does Anyone Know What They Are Doing Anymore?" (set 9 days ago)

3,945 posts, read 4,530,489 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by CantWait2Leave View Post
In a nutshell, I talk to God all day long and he is involved in everything I do. He's my best friend.
I agree. I talk to Him whenever I need to, silently or aloud as I'm trying to make decisions. I feel his presence whenever I feel calm over the decision I end up making. Kinda like, do I or don't I, this way or that way, I can't make up my mind. So I ask for God's will or input into my decision, and the one that makes me feel totally calm, with no back and forth debating, I know is the right answer. Try it sometime, you WILL feel his presence in your life.

Old 06-30-2011, 05:00 AM

1,893 posts, read 1,877,191 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by legoman View Post
What do people mean when they say they have a personal relationship with God?

Do you mean you know what God is like (how do you know)? Do you mean you talk to God in your head, and He talks back? Do you mean you feel His presence? Do you mean you spend a lot of time in prayer and those prayers are sometimes answered (or not)? Do you mean you feel thankful because you are saved (from whatever you think you need saving from)? Or do you just mean you read the bible a lot? Or something else?

I'm curious because I see that phrase a lot, and I wonder what people exactly mean by it.
I have a personal relationship with God. This happened a few years ago when I committed myself to Him and that I would follow Him. I receive His Love in my soul. God is spiritual and is a soul. We are spiritual beings living temporarily in a physical body. This is why we can have this kind of relationship with Him. We are His children and when we become dependent upon Him, then we really know what it means to experience this closeness.

When I talk to Him with my soul through my thoughts, I call Him either Father or Dear, and He always responds and answers all of my questions and helps me to sort things out with whatever I'm going through at the time. What is so wonderful about His advice is that it's always right.

I thank Him for His Love and for all the blessings that He gives me and I tell Him how much I love Him. I have changed so much in the way that I have a peace in my soul and not only a deep love for Him but for everyone else. Since last year, I am working on having patience and that is changing too, because I'm getting more of it.

I try to have prayer sessions every day lasting from 15 minutes to an hour. I don't read the Bible, but I do read Jesus' teachings at http://www.truthforallpeople.com.

Old 06-30-2011, 05:50 AM

2,108 posts, read 2,607,149 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr5150 View Post

I once had what I "knew" at the time to be a personal relationship with God just like you describe, and just like all the believers have described in this thread so far, and now I am an atheist. And many atheists today once believed they had the same type of relationship with God that you have now when they were believers.

I know that it is hard for those who currently say they know they have a relationship with God to fathom how someone who "had" a personal relationship with God could ever later think that, "God does not exist and therefore they never really had a relationship with God when they thought they did". I know there is the temptation for the believer to say, "Well, that person never really felt the way I do or experienced what I have experienced. How could they and then later doubt the existence of God?" But, I am telling you it is true.

When something eventually came up that really forced me to actually consider that God might not exist, I retreated to the safety of my personal relationship with God for reassurance that he really was there. And under those circumstances when I really need to find bedrock and absolute proof that God does exist as that would be the only thing that would be strong enough to beat my accumulating doubts, I found that my personal relationship was too ephemeral to offer a solid defense even in my own mind. It was not as solid as I believed it was.

I once wrote about this and I think it is completely on topic because it is about my personal relationship with God.

Quote:
I was a very deeply spiritual person and easily moved to tears when thinking of the Savior and the sacrifices I believed he made for me and the rich blessings he bestowed upon me. I had recognized the joy of the Spirit and the love for mankind I felt when reading the holy scriptures. And after turning eight, I had an experience which I considered to be a visitation of an angel.

When I was 14, my mother passed away. I felt very much alone and learned through that experience to lean on the Lord even more. I decided that I would do what was right because it was the path to happiness, not to please my dad or because of fear of punishment. I felt particularly close to Heavenly Father over the next few years, having had countless experiences of answered prayers, premonitions that were fulfilled, and marvelous insights. I truly felt like I had a deep and personal relationship with my Savior. I spoke with God continually throughout the day. I felt I knew Him personally as we had shared many private moments together in sacred prayer. I completely opened myself up to Him and hid nothing, and he had comforted me in the deepest reaches of my soul. My heart glowed with love for Him and that transformed me and led me to be loving toward others. He was my truest friend and confidant.
I've run out of time and have to go to work.

Last edited by Hueffenhardt; 06-30-2011 at 06:32 AM..

Old 07-01-2011, 12:55 PM
Status: "Does Anyone Know What They Are Doing Anymore?" (set 9 days ago)

3,945 posts, read 4,530,489 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hueffenhardt View Post
I once had what I "knew" at the time to be a personal relationship with God just like you describe, and just like all the believers have described in this thread so far, and now I am an atheist. And many atheists today once believed they had the same type of relationship with God that you have now when they were believers.

I know that it is hard for those who currently say they know they have a relationship with God to fathom how someone who "had" a personal relationship with God could ever later think that, "God does not exist and therefore they never really had a relationship with God when they thought they did". I know there is the temptation for the believer to say, "Well, that person never really felt the way I do or experienced what I have experienced. How could they and then later doubt the existence of God?" But, I am telling you it is true.

When something eventually came up that really forced me to actually consider that God might not exist, I retreated to the safety of my personal relationship with God for reassurance that he really was there. And under those circumstances when I really need to find bedrock and absolute proof that God does exist as that would be the only thing that would be strong enough to beat my accumulating doubts, I found that my personal relationship was too ephemeral to offer a solid defense even in my own mind. It was not as solid as I believed it was.

I once wrote about this and I think it is completely on topic because it is about my personal relationship with God.

I've run out of time and have to go to work.
I want to read the rest of your story, and I'm sure others do, too. What could be so devastating to you that you gave up your belief in God? I cannot fathom anything that terrible since it appears you were truly a child of God. God gives us ALL trials and tribulations, just because someone becomes, or is, a Christian does not make them immune from pain and suffering, it is really to be expected in this sinful, mortal world. Please, give me/us some idea of what happened to change your mind, soul, attitude, belief. Thank you, and God Bless You.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Christianity
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or