Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Christianity
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-06-2011, 08:14 PM

8,435 posts, read 10,527,269 times

Advertisements

What do YOU think the bible means by "eternal life?"

I know the definition given by scripture is pretty boring and slightly redundant, but I see all sorts of statements by posters that boggle my mind as if "eternal life" is really "immortality."

Does "eternal life" mean "immortality" and does "eternal damnation" then mean "eternal death?"

And if not, what is the opposite of "eternal life?"

Thoughts?

(Hopefully curiosity doesn't kill this Kat )
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-06-2011, 08:34 PM

8,831 posts, read 11,622,031 times
Curiosity won't kill the "Kat", just never stopping to ask questions will. I had something really profound to say but it left me so all I can say is I agree wholeheartedly and I'm interested to see where this goes.

Old 07-07-2011, 06:21 AM

4,323 posts, read 6,024,146 times
Well, it's not from the bible but we have received a message pertaining to eternal life. It is the closest I've ever found to ring true but it won't mean it's true for anyone else. It just makes sense to me and I agree with it.

"Divinity, on the other hand, also entails a characteristic, which we call life, but it is of a completely different nature, because it belongs to the Divine Kingdom. It is life, as the Father owns it, which doesn’t know a beginning nor an end, because it is eternal. When man’s soul acquires the Substance of God little by little, it also acquires simultaneously the corresponding attributes, and among them is life "eternal." I put the word eternal between quotation marks, because in the case of God it is so, but we know that our life has a beginning, therefore it is not eternal. But incorporating Divine Love, the human soul acquires this endless life, the same as God is endless. In the moment of the total transformation of the soul, there remains nothing more of the original substance, and there remains nothing of its original life, there is only eternal Divine life". The Spirit of Life. HR 27 Aug 2001

Old 07-07-2011, 08:39 AM

It's posts like this that seem to ignore the bibles definition of eternal life....

Quote:
Originally Posted by savedbysovereigngrace View Post
Gal 3:21

21Is the law then against the promises of God? God forbid: for if there had been a law given which could have given life [Eternal life], verily righteousness should have been by the law.

Those who have understanding, will realize that this scripture indicates that Eternal Life was never intended with Adam, for he was made under a law covenant. At best, Adam had he not sinned, would have continued in a state of natural life and happiness, but Gods Eternal Purpose of Eternal Life in Christ, far exceeded the Life God had designed for man, such life as the redeemed shall enjoy in heaven and the renewed earth. But this Eternal Life pertained to a Covenant of Grace, from everlasting, whereby God Promised Eternal Life Titus 1:2

2 In hope of eternal life, which God, that cannot lie, promised before the world began;

This Promise was before Adam was created under the covenant of works in the garden !

It was made before the world was, A Promise made to the Surety of the Covenant, Christ the Son of God, who existed as the Federal Head of His People, His Church, His Body, it was made to Him for them. He asked life of His Father for them in this Covenant, and the Father gave it to Him, even length of Days for ever and ever !

2 Tim 1:1

1Paul, an apostle of Jesus Christ by the will of God, according to the promise of life which is in Christ Jesus,

Ps 21:1-5

1The king shall joy in thy strength, O LORD; and in thy salvation how greatly shall he rejoice!

2Thou hast given him his heart's desire, and hast not withholden the request of his lips. Selah.

3For thou preventest him with the blessings of goodness: thou settest a crown of pure gold on his head.

4He asked life of thee, and thou gavest it him, even length of days for ever and ever.

5His glory is great in thy salvation: honour and majesty hast thou laid upon him.

Isa 53:10

10 Yet it pleased the LORD to bruise him; he hath put him to grief: when thou shalt make his soul an offering for sin, he shall see his seed, he shall prolong his days, and the pleasure of the LORD shall prosper in his hand.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ilene Wright View Post
Curiosity won't kill the "Kat", just never stopping to ask questions will. I had something really profound to say but it left me so all I can say is I agree wholeheartedly and I'm interested to see where this goes.
So far all the ones who seem to get all mixed up about this aren't posting. Hmmmmm
Thanks Ilene! And thanks to reverend for the insight.

Old 07-07-2011, 08:53 AM

17,161 posts, read 11,390,383 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by katjonjj View Post
What do YOU think the bible means by "eternal life?"

I know the definition given by scripture is pretty boring and slightly redundant, but I see all sorts of statements by posters that boggle my mind as if "eternal life" is really "immortality."

Does "eternal life" mean "immortality" and does "eternal damnation" then mean "eternal death?"

And if not, what is the opposite of "eternal life?"

Thoughts?
eternal life = spiritual life in this age as opposed to the spiritual death of existing without the realization that God/Love/the kingdom of heaven is in and with us.

Quote:
(Hopefully curiosity doesn't kill this Kat )
Well, if it does, there's always the resurrection. (Unfortunately, even the disciples couldn't figure out what resurrection really meant, so good luck with that one. Mark 9:10 And they kept that saying with themselves, questioning one with another what the rising from the dead should mean. )

Old 07-07-2011, 09:06 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pleroo View Post
eternal life = spiritual life in this age as opposed to the spiritual death of existing without the realization that God/Love/the kingdom of heaven is in and with us.

Quote:
Well, if it does, there's always the resurrection. (Unfortunately, even the disciples couldn't figure out what resurrection really meant, so good luck with that one. Mark 9:10 And they kept that saying with themselves, questioning one with another what the rising from the dead should mean. )

Old 07-07-2011, 12:09 PM

63,803 posts, read 40,077,272 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pleroo View Post
Quote:
Quote:
They were terrified of Spirits . . . which presented a real problem for them.

Old 07-07-2011, 03:12 PM

3,074 posts, read 4,725,532 times
Eternal life is conditional on the free will choice of each and every mortal. Freely choosing to do God's will does not so much consist in the negation of creature will - "Not my will but yours be done" - as it consists in the creature's positive affirmation: It is my will that yourwill be done. And when this choice is made , sooner or later will the God choosing creature find inner union (fusion) with the indwelling God fragment (soul). This fusion of Creator and creature is eternally joined in self-willed mutuality of expression-the birth of an eternal partnership between God and man.

Old 07-07-2011, 05:34 PM

5,303 posts, read 6,434,646 times
kat..it is always good to ruffle the feathers...I do it all the time

Old 07-07-2011, 08:00 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by sciotamicks View Post
kat..it is always good to ruffle the feathers...I do it all the time
Yes you do. Lol! I'll just keep quoting posts from ther threads and see what happens. So far no one seems willing to respond except eternal-life-the-John-17-definition-believers. Oh well!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Christianity