U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Covid-19 Information Page
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Christianity
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Search Forums  (Advanced)
Reply Start New Thread
 
Old 07-31-2011, 09:32 PM
 
Location: Ohio
13,900 posts, read 11,471,155 times
Reputation: 7258

Advertisements

Alot of the time when I'm engaged in discussions with Christians on here I have told them that I used to be Christian but left the church when I got older because I no longer had faith. Alot of them would tell me that that's because I didnt have a "relationship with God"

What does it mean when you say that you have a relationship with God?

How do you know that you have this relationship?

What does it feel like to have this relationship?

What is it that you must do to have a relationship with God?

Is it a symbolic or literal relationship?

Thanks for the comments!
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

 
Old 07-31-2011, 10:37 PM
Status: "Does Anyone Know What They Are Doing Anymore?" (set 14 days ago)
 
Location: Military City, USA.
3,954 posts, read 4,540,330 times
Reputation: 10656
//www.city-data.com/forum/chris...-when-they.htm

This is an almost exact repeat question from 6-29-11 by legoman. I thought this sounded familiar. Please click on link and you will be taken there and find your answers.
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 07-31-2011, 10:45 PM
 
Location: City-Data Forum
7,943 posts, read 5,114,108 times
Reputation: 1346
you are bound to find some answers. maybe not the ones your looking for, but polythiests think they have "personal relationships" too... lol ask any two monotheists what their common partner has to say... and they will surely disagree. sad realities... for them, I suppose.
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 08-01-2011, 06:45 PM
 
Location: Ohio
13,900 posts, read 11,471,155 times
Reputation: 7258
Quote:
Originally Posted by Michigan Transplant View Post
//www.city-data.com/forum/chris...-when-they.htm

This is an almost exact repeat question from 6-29-11 by legoman. I thought this sounded familiar. Please click on link and you will be taken there and find your answers.
Wow, these two threads are nearly identicle..... sorry bout that.

I usualy dont spend much time in the Christian forum but mostly out in the main forum. Should hyave run a search first i guess.
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 08-01-2011, 07:36 PM
 
Location: Sierra Nevada Land, CA
9,275 posts, read 10,186,624 times
Reputation: 15672
Quote:
Originally Posted by WhipperSnapper 88 View Post
Wow, these two threads are nearly identicle..... sorry bout that.

I usualy dont spend much time in the Christian forum but mostly out in the main forum. Should hyave run a search first i guess.
But still a good question.

Relationship: Being connected in a mental and spiritual way. Someone who is present in your life on an ongoing basis. It's like you're neve alone. Having someone who cares about you and meets your needs, but sometimes not in the way you "want", Will be with you in the end and afterwards. Someone who who interupts your pity party, univited and says stop! Enough for now,,,,
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 01-11-2012, 08:54 AM
 
33 posts, read 26,507 times
Reputation: 18
When I talk about having a relationship with Jehovah god Im talking about in a spiritual, mentally, and a emotional way.
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 01-11-2012, 10:00 AM
 
Location: Florida -
9,651 posts, read 12,086,833 times
Reputation: 19694
Actually, a personal, intimate relationship with the Living God, is similar in many respects to a real relationship with another person. It involves love, communication, dependence, truth and commitment.

For example, one may know all about the President, his family, his kids, dogs, political positions, etc., but, cannot truly say that they know (or are known by) the President. There is no real love, communication, dependence, truth or commitment in their 'knowledge.'

Similarly, many people know about God, the Bible, church, religion and philosophies regarding God; but, they do not truly have a personal relationship with Him (or He with them). There is no real love, communication, dependence, truth or commitment in their 'knowledge.'

Invariably, when people say, "I used to be a Christian, but,...." -- they mean that they attended church, gave lip-service to a belief in the Bible and claimed to be a Christian. Just as one does not stop loving their children, one, likewise, does not simply stop loving God.

If you want to have a true relationship with God, open your heart (not just your head) to Jesus Christ and ask Him to reveal Himself to you and give you the true joy, peace, love and truth that you seek. -- Without that, about the best you can do is 'religion', which is a poor substitute for 'relationship.'
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 01-11-2012, 10:06 AM
 
Location: On a road heaven bound !
10,295 posts, read 8,607,644 times
Reputation: 17794
Quote:
Originally Posted by jghorton View Post
Actually, a personal, intimate relationship with the Living God, is similar in many respects to a real relationship with another person. It involves love, communication, dependence, truth and commitment.

For example, one may know all about the President, his family, his kids, dogs, political positions, etc., but, cannot truly say that they know (or are known by) the President. There is no real love, communication, dependence, truth or commitment in their 'knowledge.'

Similarly, many people know about God, the Bible, church, religion and philosophies regarding God; but, they do not truly have a personal relationship with Him (or He with them). There is no real love, communication, dependence, truth or commitment in their 'knowledge.'

Invariably, when people say, "I used to be a Christian, but,...." -- they mean that they attended church, gave lip-service to a belief in the Bible and claimed to be a Christian. Just as one does not stop loving their children, one, likewise, does not simply stop loving God.

If you want to have a true relationship with God, open your heart (not just your head) to Jesus Christ and ask Him to reveal Himself to you and give you the true joy, peace, love and truth that you seek. -- Without that, about the best you can do is 'religion', which is a poor substitute for 'relationship.'
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 01-11-2012, 10:07 AM
 
1,263 posts, read 1,159,403 times
Reputation: 178
Quote:
Originally Posted by jghorton View Post
Actually, a personal, intimate relationship with the Living God, is similar in many respects to a real relationship with another person. It involves love, communication, dependence, truth and commitment.

For example, one may know all about the President, his family, his kids, dogs, political positions, etc., but, cannot truly say that they know (or are known by) the President. There is no real love, communication, dependence, truth or commitment in their 'knowledge.'

Similarly, many people know about God, the Bible, church, religion and philosophies regarding God; but, they do not truly have a personal relationship with Him (or He with them). There is no real love, communication, dependence, truth or commitment in their 'knowledge.'

Invariably, when people say, "I used to be a Christian, but,...." -- they mean that they attended church, gave lip-service to a belief in the Bible and claimed to be a Christian. Just as one does not stop loving their children, one, likewise, does not simply stop loving God.

If you want to have a true relationship with God, open your heart (not just your head) to Jesus Christ and ask Him to reveal Himself to you and give you the true joy, peace, love and truth that you seek. -- Without that, about the best you can do is 'religion', which is a poor substitute for 'relationship.'
Amen!

Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 01-11-2012, 03:10 PM
 
299 posts, read 228,245 times
Reputation: 50
The Living God will establish a spiritual union within a naturally born human, but only if that human has complied with this prerequisite. Confess directly to God that you are truly sorry that Jesus' life was lost by bloodshed when he was crucified and be baptized in water to receive the forgiveness of past sins and the promise of the Holy Spirit living within you.
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.


Reply
Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Message:

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Christianity
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or

All times are GMT -6.

© 2005-2020, Advameg, Inc. · Please obey Forum Rules · Terms of Use and Privacy Policy · Bug Bounty

City-Data.com - Contact Us - Archive 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14, 15, 16, 17, 18, 19, 20, 21, 22, 23, 24, 25, 26, 27, 28, 29, 30, 31, 32, 33, 34, 35, 36, 37 - Top