Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Christianity
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-18-2011, 09:23 PM

3,532 posts, read 6,444,301 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Phazelwood View Post
Yes, I understand that, however, what has determined that such an approach is rightly dividing the word? Seems all those theories are applied to scripture from outside of the biblical text and therefore shapes an asserted biblical intention. The biblical text is not seen to convey the structure we are often told is the right way, so what has determed it's correctness?
Do you know what rightly dividing to word of God means in the original text? Then I can answer your question.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-18-2011, 09:25 PM

3,532 posts, read 6,444,301 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by pcamps View Post
When it's rightly dividing us that we discern that of us which is the flesh and that of us which is God,then we are rightly dividing the word of truth.
I can say all scripture is given by inspiration of God, and it's profitable for reproof, for correction, for instruction in righteousness. I think that this bible verse is in the bible for a reason.

Old 09-19-2011, 02:01 AM

5,965 posts, read 7,041,330 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by forest beekeeper View Post
I suspect that every church misses the mark at some point in their doctrine. Which is why we see so many varieties of churches.

I do believe that there is one single set of doctrines that is 100% harmonious with the Word of God.

The church that we attend makes the claim of doing research to find and hold that 'rightly divided Word of God'; and they make a big deal of this point. However it does not take an expert to see that they are a business. In the business of making a profit and paying salaries. So it is filled with the 'hirelings' that Jesus the Christ warned us about.
Ummm, if you know they are hirelings, why do you attend? Do you think you should keep the place in business?

Old 09-19-2011, 02:05 AM

5,965 posts, read 7,041,330 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pleroo View Post
You certainly know how to get to the heart of the matter.
He does, doesn't he. Cuts clean through to the quick.

Old 09-19-2011, 05:54 AM

37,342 posts, read 28,412,992 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by antredd View Post
I can say all scripture is given by inspiration of God, and it's profitable for reproof, for correction, for instruction in righteousness. I think that this bible verse is in the bible for a reason.
It is.......for dividing us,so we correctly divide the scripture. You're wasting your time trying to correct,instruct and reprove someone else with the scripture,if the same scripture has not done the same unto us. There is an order to all this,like first take the plank out of your own eye.....then ?.

Old 09-19-2011, 10:04 AM

141 posts, read 125,543 times
Quote:

The problem with this is that Paul says scripture is "profitable", not exclusive.

As a matter of fact, he says right before this:

Now as Jannes and Jambres withstood Moses, so do these also resist the truth: men of corrupt minds, reprobate concerning the faith. But they shall proceed no further : for their folly shall be manifest unto all men, as theirs also was . But thou hast fully known my doctrine, manner of life, purpose, faith, longsuffering, charity, patience, Persecutions, afflictions, which came unto me at Antioch, at Iconium, at Lystra; what persecutions I endured : but out of them all the Lord delivered me. Yea, and all that will live godly in Christ Jesus shall suffer persecution . But evil men and seducers shall wax worse and worse , deceiving , and being deceived . But continue thou in the things which thou hast learned and hast been assured of , knowing of whom thou hast learned them;

It appears the ones who lack truth are the ones who resist Church authority, as in Jannes and Jambres who resisted Moses (and with Korah as well whom Jude reminds us). Paul continues with telling us that what is important is who we learn from.

Blessings,

augusta

Old 09-19-2011, 10:10 AM

37,342 posts, read 28,412,992 times
Quote:
I do too...to correct us from reproofing,correcting and instructing others before we have reproved,corrected and instructed ourselves
It also says "study to show yourself approved of God".

Old 09-19-2011, 10:23 AM

5,925 posts, read 6,965,910 times
Quote:
Do you know what rightly dividing to word of God means in the original text? Then I can answer your question.

I have no real problem answering your question, and I will, but first I have to ask why my belief on that issue has anything to do with your ability to answer the question?

Old 09-19-2011, 03:47 PM

299 posts, read 263,835 times
Quote:
"It is not those who hear the law who are righteous in God's sight, but it is those who obey the law who will be decalred righteous." Rom. 2:13

Old 09-19-2011, 05:08 PM

275 posts, read 398,261 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by forest beekeeper View Post
I suspect that every church misses the mark at some point in their doctrine. Which is why we see so many varieties of churches.

I do believe that there is one single set of doctrines that is 100% harmonious with the Word of God.

The church that we attend makes the claim of doing research to find and hold that 'rightly divided Word of God'; and they make a big deal of this point. However it does not take an expert to see that they are a business. In the business of making a profit and paying salaries. So it is filled with the 'hirelings' that Jesus the Christ warned us about.
This sounds much like a "fellowship" I attended a few years ago. A worldwide organization, they called themselves a "Bible Study and Research" group, and said that they didn't tell you what to do, they showed you the "right" way to "divide the word". They turned out to be a classic example of a cult. First they "lovebombed" new members. Then they slowly tried to separate you from people and activities outside the group. When they felt that they had become the focal point of your life, the whip came down: rules governing every aspect of your life. Tithing and "abundant sharing" were very important, of course.
Their interpretations were as full of holes as swiss cheese, and they couldn't respond to anything outside of their carefully scripted missives. It was truly amazing. I stayed around long enough to take their "foundational" class, and then bailed.
When it comes to any group who claims they have all the answers, my motto is "buyer beware".
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Christianity