Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Christianity
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 09-28-2011, 02:10 PM

5,965 posts, read 7,040,811 times

Advertisements

Luke 12
New American Standard Bible45But if that slave says in his heart, ‘My master will be a long time in coming,’ and begins to beat the slaves, both men and women, and to eat and drink and get drunk; 46the master of that slave will come on a day when he does not expect him and at an hour he does not know, and will cut him in pieces, and assign him a place with the unbelievers. 47“And that slave who knew his master’s will and did not get ready or act in accord with his will, will receive many lashes, 48but the one who did not know it, and committed deeds worthy of a flogging, will receive but few. From everyone who has been given much, much will be required; and to whom they entrusted much, of him they will ask all the more.

Amazing that people continue to attend verbally abusive places like this one:

Ga. Pastor: Churches Full of Fat Sheep, Super-Sized on Religion, Christian News

Old 09-29-2011, 06:28 AM

8,831 posts, read 11,652,136 times
Hmmm, yes........not a very popular message I'm sure. Fast food is destroying us as far as that is concerned but it's not very loving to call members "fat sheep" and "super-sized on religion" just because they don't go around beating down doors proselytizing. Not something that is going to win him more members, that's for sure.

Old 09-29-2011, 06:49 AM

37,342 posts, read 28,409,664 times
I actually agree a little with him in the sense that we have become "super sized on bible knowledge and religion",growing in the grace and knowledge of HIM,is the remedy.

Old 09-29-2011, 07:33 AM

6,822 posts, read 6,659,566 times
Luke 12:45-48

King James Version (KJV)

45But and if that servant say in his heart, My lord delayeth his coming; and shall begin to beat the menservants and maidens, and to eat and drink, and to be drunken;

46The lord of that servant will come in a day when he looketh not for him, and at an hour when he is not aware, and will cut him in sunder, and will appoint him his portion with the unbelievers.

47And that servant, which knew his lord's will, and prepared not himself, neither did according to his will, shall be beaten with many stripes.

48But he that knew not, and did commit things worthy of stripes, shall be beaten with few stripes. For unto whomsoever much is given, of him shall be much required: and to whom men have committed much, of him they will ask the more.

Old 09-29-2011, 07:46 AM

6,822 posts, read 6,659,566 times
I believe the scriptures tell us to be a witness (a noun) not necessarily to witness (a verb). We are to simply proclaim the truth and have a reason for the hope that is within us not push to "convert" anyone. With being Christian, we will have our opinion (a soft answer turneth away wrath). This opinion is likely to offend many regardless. So there will be time to give plenty of reasons for the hope that is within us.

No need to go door to door. I think this turns people away to an extant. I think prayer would be more effective followed up with intimate discussion with those you know. I don't think walking up to a complete stranger and asking them if they know Jesus is the way to do it. I think many would simply pass judgement quickly thinking another "religious" person is attempting to "push" their beliefs on them.

The holy spirit draws people to the message of Christ. Jesus tells us why.

John 3:18-20

18He that believeth on him is not condemned: but he that believeth not is condemned already, because he hath not believed in the name of the only begotten Son of God.

19And this is the condemnation, that light is come into the world, and men loved darkness rather than light, because their deeds were evil.

20For every one that doeth evil hateth the light, neither cometh to the light, lest his deeds should be reproved.

I know of a couple times where I thought of reading/researching the Bible in the past (God calling?), but decided not to because I knew it would convict me and require a change in my values and behavior.

"For the word of God is quick, and powerful, and sharper than any twoedged sword, piercing even to the dividing asunder of soul and spirit, and of the joints and marrow, and is a discerner of the thoughts and intents of the heart." Hebrews 4:12

Boy is that true. It is because it convicts our souls.

Old 09-29-2011, 08:10 AM

5,925 posts, read 6,965,549 times
I think it is a sin to beat your sheep.

Old 09-29-2011, 01:04 PM

11,961 posts, read 3,780,672 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Heartsong View Post
Luke 12
New American Standard Bible45But if that slave says in his heart, ‘My master will be a long time in coming,’ and begins to beat the slaves, both men and women, and to eat and drink and get drunk; 46the master of that slave will come on a day when he does not expect him and at an hour he does not know, and will cut him in pieces, and assign him a place with the unbelievers. 47“And that slave who knew his master’s will and did not get ready or act in accord with his will, will receive many lashes, 48but the one who did not know it, and committed deeds worthy of a flogging, will receive but few. From everyone who has been given much, much will be required; and to whom they entrusted much, of him they will ask all the more.

Amazing that people continue to attend verbally abusive places like this one:

Ga. Pastor: Churches Full of Fat Sheep, Super-Sized on Religion, Christian News
Quote:
The West Ridge pastor made it clear to churchgoers that if biblical knowledge is not causing them to love God and others, to serve, and share their faith, then they have been wasting their time.

"We've been left here on this earth for a purpose. We've been called to share the good news of salvation," he stressed.

But "some of us ... don't care and that's just the facts. We're indifferent to it because we've created a little [Christian] bubble for ourselves."

It's time to burst that bubble, Bloye said.

It's time to be "missional," he preached, defining the term as "living out the mission of Jesus in your community and in your world."

Bloye challenged the congregation to grow outward and to share the Gospel with everyone.
Heartsong, it seems to me he is challenging his congregation to love and witness that love.......

Old 09-29-2011, 01:25 PM

13,640 posts, read 24,570,233 times
This thread is closed ..

The article in the op said nothing about denominational bashing, or Christians bashing christians which is what this thread turned into.

There is a reason for the TOS of these forums..might help to read them again
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Christianity