Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Christianity
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-08-2011, 01:32 PM

8,435 posts, read 10,530,305 times

Advertisements

Do you think Jesus intended to start a new religion or was his purpose to crush the old one (sacrificial/pharisaical Judaism)?

Both?

Thoughts?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-08-2011, 02:01 PM

15,501 posts, read 17,081,696 times
Some things to think about.

As best as I can tell Jesus(as)'s followers considered themselves to be pious Jews and still kept the sabbath in the Temples.

No where did Jesus(as) ever denounce Judaism.

The teachings, we actually know Jesus taught are Judaic Teachings, very noticeable in the "Sermon on the Mount"

Old 10-08-2011, 03:17 PM

4,883 posts, read 6,213,026 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by katjonjj View Post
Do you think Jesus intended to start a new religion or was his purpose to crush the old one (sacrificial/pharisaical Judaism)?

Both?

Thoughts?
Jesus came to show people how to enter into the Kingdom, which is found within ALL of us and doesn't require anyone else but ourselves to get us into it. I believe Jesus was attempting to show the people that the old system they were using wasn't required...which is why he was killed.

BTW...I also believe that Christianty today in no way, shape or form resembles anything Jesus attempted to teach.

Old 10-08-2011, 03:23 PM

37,337 posts, read 28,299,599 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ChristyGrl View Post

BTW...I also believe that Christianty today in no way, shape or form resembles anything Jesus attempted to teach.
Neither do I. We have turned it into an institute, regretfully I include myself in the We.

Old 10-08-2011, 03:25 PM

2,526 posts, read 3,052,389 times
As best as I can tell, Jesus saw himself as a reformer of Judaism. After his death, some of his followers started a new religion which would eventually bear his name.

Old 10-08-2011, 03:49 PM

3,553 posts, read 5,155,423 times
Jesus actually started a movement that ended up whoring itself with the world. We can read Revelations to see this clearly. He preached His Kingdom, that was in the making since creation. He is now seated, as King. It is not of the old worldly systems where Satan rules. It is beyond the senses. The untrained eyes cannot see. The untrained ears, cannot hear. Nor do they want to, as they LOVE this world and the things in it. Darkness rather than Light.

So no, no new religion started. It is a Kingdom. And it is now.

Old 10-08-2011, 04:00 PM

37,337 posts, read 28,299,599 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by HotinAZ View Post
Jesus actually started a movement that ended up whoring itself with the world. We can read Revelations to see this clearly. He preached His Kingdom, that was in the making since creation. He is now seated, as King. It is not of the old worldly systems where Satan rules. It is beyond the senses. The untrained eyes cannot see. The untrained ears, cannot hear. Nor do they want to, as they LOVE this world and the things in it. Darkness rather than Light.

So no, no new religion started. It is a Kingdom. And it is now.
And it's within us, well at least that is where I see and enter into it.

Old 10-08-2011, 05:41 PM

9,690 posts, read 10,020,758 times
From the blessing of Isaac to the Pentecost of the upper room after the cross of Christ , all got a shadow of Jesus Christ to come , and Moses and the wilderness temple and the Temple of Solomon were an outline of Jesus and His anointing to come , ....Even the Law of God with the Ten Commandment were written by the hand of God...... And Jesus said in Matthew 5: 17...``Think not that I have come to destroy the law, or the prophets; I am not come to destroy but to fulfil.... for very truly I say to you un`til heaven and the earth pass , one jot, or one tittle will in no wise pass from the law, un`til all be fullfilled``..... .. So the law is to stay and for Believers of Christ the law is inbreds in the spirit that Jesus puts into his Believers when they are saved to help them get along in the world and be of the righteousness of Jesus Christ ...... See the Lord riped the veil in the temple at the days of Jesus Christ and eventually abandoned the old faith and took on a new faith were the temple of the Holy Spirit was able to go every were thorough out the world in believers and not limited in Jerusalem temple ......So if people keep to the old ways then the spirit would be gone and only a mysticism spirit that is not of Jesus Christ , But Jesus still has authority over Israel today and most countries that at least have a few believer in the nation, but Jesus children come from though of obedience and them only.................

Old 10-09-2011, 07:26 AM

3,553 posts, read 5,155,423 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by pcamps View Post
And it's within us, well at least that is where I see and enter into it.
It begins within through the moving of the Holy Spirit. It then will manifest itself to the world as a Light set on a hill for all to see. It is beautiful, and it is so powerful that not even the passing of this flesh can subdue it.

When more of the ture followers come together, there is community. But it is all within His Kingdom. It is just sad the world cannot see this, for where Jesus is, there is perfect liberty in Him.

Old 10-09-2011, 10:59 AM

2,754 posts, read 6,102,494 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by katjonjj View Post

Both?

Thoughts?
Neither.

I think He was only trying to tell us that, yeah, He was a Son of God, but that we too could be children of God if we only followed a few simple rules. The profound and eloquent simplicity of this message rubbed the Pharisees and the Sanhedrin the wrong way, of course, since they wanted to wield their powers so as to further their own agendas, a primary one being to have the Jewish citizens be beholden to them for a "link" to the Almighty.
You know, kinda like the Catholic Church has done.
But I would not go so far as to say Jesus want to "crush" the Pharisees. I think He was content enought to simply trip them up with His logic from time to time and make them look foolish and self-righteous.
I do not think Jesus was much of a fan of organized religions, and indeed if He were to come back down here today and you gave him a look at all the diffeent churches in the Yellow Pages, He would shake His head in dismay and tell you that this was NOT what He intended. Not at all, amigos.

Peace.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Christianity