U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Christianity
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: Is there blessed supernatural power in the literal proper name of "Jesus"?
Yes 7 50.00%
No 5 35.71%
I don't know 1 7.14%
No, but there is in the Messiah's transliterated from Hebrew name 1 7.14%
Voters: 14. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-14-2011, 11:31 AM

1,837 posts, read 1,814,423 times

Advertisements

What do think, believers in the Messiah? Is there supernatural spiritual power in the literal proper name of "Jesus"? I will leave the question simple and not go any further. I would love to know your answer to that question. From my experience in the many different denominations, I already know the statistical answer of the majority. But what do believers on the City Data Forum think?
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-14-2011, 11:42 AM

136 posts, read 285,369 times
"Jesus" is his Greek name. His contemporaries called him Yeshua (in Aramaic) and there are many spellings of Yeshua. I do believe there is power in His name, when He is addressed humbly, in prayer.

Old 10-14-2011, 12:27 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by nmweatherman View Post
"Jesus" is his Greek name. His contemporaries called him Yeshua (in Aramaic) and there are many spellings of Yeshua. I do believe there is power in His name, when He is addressed humbly, in prayer.
However you would transliterate the name, "Yahushua", into Greek would be the correct way to say it in Greek. Jesus, is not the way to transliterate it I'm sure. If you wanted to say "Hey-Zuess" maybe, but not Yahushua. I'm going to see if I can find any information on what I've just said. I'm sure there is someone who's thought of that before and the information can be found.

In the Greek they translated it, not transliterated it, to Iesous. That's pretty close to the false Greek god's name of Zuess, in english.

Here is what I believe:

Does A Name Mean Anything To God?

Hopefully I'll find what I'm looking for on the above subject and I'll post it here as well.

Old 10-14-2011, 12:31 PM

7,508 posts, read 4,144,162 times
I'm just going to answer the question according to what you asked. Coming from a Christian background and Shamanism ancestors, supernatural is very relevant to me. When I get spiritual attack through dreams, I always pray in the Name of Jesus to cast out any demons or evil spirits. I find myself saying Jesus' name in my dream and as I awake, and often times, my room feels "heavy" after I awake.

If you are asking if the name Jesus itself has power, I'm not sure but I think it's also the person. Jesus is God in human flesh.

Old 10-14-2011, 12:39 PM

Thanks AsainRice. Your participation, beliefs, and sharing is appreciated.

May Yahua's blessings be upon you. I bless you in the name of Yahushua, so be it.

Old 10-14-2011, 12:41 PM

Ok I found it! That was easy. The closest the Greeks could have come to transliterating the name is "ee-ay-soos" and this is where I got the information:

How the name

But does that mean we should say Jesus? Of course not. Just because the Greek language was limited and you couldn't transliterate the Messiah's name correctly, does that mean we english speaking people should? I love that name.

We speak English right? Should we transliterate from the Greek, when it comes to the name of the Messiah? That doesn't make sense to me.

Old 10-14-2011, 12:45 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by O-Ducky View Post
I'm going to see if I can find any information on what I've just said. I'm sure there is someone who's thought of that before and the information can be found.
Will check in to see what you have found! The name translates slightly differently into other languages. I believe Yehushua is Hebrew? I'm not language expert. I thought the Greek was Yesu Cristos (yay-sue = Jesus in English and other Romance languages). What I found interesting was in the beliefs of those who think Jesus spent His "hidden years" partly in India, where He was known as Issa (the possible Hindi translation of Yeshua or Jesus).

Whatever words, languages, or names, He is my Light. In private I call Him Yeshua from the Aramaic of His contemporaries. It is very possible that He also spoke in Hebrew (as He was a rabbi) and Latin and Greek, such was the nature of that part of the world then.

Last edited by nmweatherman; 10-14-2011 at 12:46 PM.. Reason: Punctuation

Old 10-14-2011, 12:52 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by nmweatherman View Post
Will check in to see what you have found! The name translates slightly differently into other languages. I believe Yehushua is Hebrew? I'm not language expert. I thought the Greek was Yesu Cristos (yay-sue = Jesus in English and other Romance languages). What I found interesting was in the beliefs of those who think Jesus spent His "hidden years" partly in India, where He was known as Issa (the possible Hindi translation of Yeshua or Jesus).

Whatever words, languages, or names, He is my Light. In private I call Him Yeshua from the Aramaic of His contemporaries. It is very possible that He also spoke in Hebrew (as He was a rabbi) and Latin and Greek, such was the nature of that part of the world then.
Oh right on!

Yes I did find some good information about it. I've posted it. When I want to find accurate information about things like this I always go to the Messianic Jews! Definitely not the Greeks...lol. I find that the Nazarites are the most trustworthy when it comes to knowledge about this stuff. They call it like it is and are not influenced by the pagan customs and traditions of man.

Elohim said: "Come out of her my people"

and the Messianic Jews said: "We have"

lol

Old 10-14-2011, 01:16 PM

Thanks, O-Ducky, that was a good reference with lots of info. I am fascinated by languages and history, especially biblical history!

Old 10-14-2011, 01:34 PM

5,925 posts, read 6,405,078 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by O-Ducky View Post
What do think, believers in the Messiah? Is there supernatural spiritual power in the literal proper name of "Jesus"? I will leave the question simple and not go any further. I would love to know your answer to that question. From my experience in the many different denominations, I already know the statistical answer of the majority. But what do believers on the City Data Forum think?

Considering the word Jesus in english is a translation I think it is also ok to believe that what Jesus represents also has power.

Scripture is where I draw the basic conclusion from. The reason I say that is because no matter how many disagreements there are over Jesus in general, everyone who seeks Jesus seeks to know what Jesus represents far more than just knowledge about a man on earth.

Phl 1:15 Some indeed preach Christ even of envy and strife; and some also of good will:
Phl 1:16 The one preach Christ of contention, not sincerely, supposing to add affliction to my bonds:
Phl 1:17 But the other of love, knowing that I am set for the defence of the gospel.
Phl 1:18 What then? notwithstanding, every way, whether in pretence, or in truth, Christ is preached; and I therein do rejoice, yea, and will rejoice.

Here was have someone who is simply glad that the name Jesus is being taught, even though it can be seen even in biblical times Jesus name was being used in ways other than what the truth may have been.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Christianity