Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Christianity
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-24-2020, 09:13 AM

1,754 posts, read 755,134 times

Advertisements

Blessed are the peacemakers.

Jesus called us to love our neighbors and true love is not passive, it is actions. Serving others, helping others, alleviating those that suffer.

So....this year has a lot of stress and that stress is likely to increase in a couple weeks for about half of the country.

It is important that we as Christians remember to go out of our way to be kind...the actions of love. Buy someone's groceries in the store for them. Open a door and smile (through your mask) for a stranger. Pick up some trash along the road. Call up people and be friendly...especially those with different ideologies. Bake your neighbor a pie. Listen to others politely.

Together we can make this a better end to a rough year!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-24-2020, 10:30 AM

31,373 posts, read 20,184,822 times
You can put me down for a pie, please.

Old 10-24-2020, 01:36 PM

88,584 posts, read 84,795,337 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by QuakerBaker View Post

Jesus called us to love our neighbors and true love is not passive, it is actions. Serving others, helping others, alleviating those that suffer.

So....this year has a lot of stress and that stress is likely to increase in a couple weeks for about half of the country.

It is important that we as Christians remember to go out of our way to be kind...the actions of love. Buy someone's groceries in the store for them. Open a door and smile (through your mask) for a stranger. Pick up some trash along the road. Call up people and be friendly...especially those with different ideologies. Bake your neighbor a pie. Listen to others politely.

I dunno about that one. Maybe I listen to too many Crime Junkie podcasts and watch too much Investigation Discovery, but opening your door for a stranger is not always a good idea. Not to mention the strangers who are simply annoying, like religious proselytizers, political types, and salespeople.

But that line reminded me of something funny I saw in AARP magazine. A columnist said he decided to go out walking in his neighborhood and put his mask on to be safe. He saw a woman with her small child playing out in their front yard. He stopped to watch them, and the love between the two was so sweet that it made him happy. He stood there watching with a smile on his face.

Then he realized that they couldn't see him smiling because of his mask and that he just looked like a creepy man staring at a woman and her child. LMAO.

Old 10-24-2020, 02:07 PM

33,230 posts, read 26,447,455 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mightyqueen801 View Post
I dunno about that one. Maybe I listen to too many Crime Junkie podcasts and watch too much Investigation Discovery, but opening your door for a stranger is not always a good idea. Not to mention the strangers who are simply annoying, like religious proselytizers, political types, and salespeople.

But that line reminded me of something funny I saw in AARP magazine. A columnist said he decided to go out walking in his neighborhood and put his mask on to be safe. He saw a woman with her small child playing out in their front yard. He stopped to watch them, and the love between the two was so sweet that it made him happy. He stood there watching with a smile on his face.

Then he realized that they couldn't see him smiling because of his mask and that he just looked like a creepy man staring at a woman and her child. LMAO.
I think she meant holding a door open for another person at some public place. If I'm about to enter Barnes & Noble for instance, I'll hold the door open if another person is also about to enter.

What I wouldn't do is to offer to buy someone else's groceries. If someone came up to me and offered to pay for my groceries I would find that odd and would refuse. Now if someone looked really in need that would be a different matter.

Old 10-24-2020, 03:13 PM

11,897 posts, read 3,699,863 times
Yep, the things we do for each other as individuals are important, it doesn’t need to be fancy or over the top but if we see someone Who has a need and we have the means to provide help Just do it without expecting anything back

So often we can get caught up in the rat race and forget about the simple things

Old 10-24-2020, 09:19 PM

3,055 posts, read 2,927,349 times
Quote:

Yes, thank you. All of us who follow the Lord Jesus need to be reminded that he has called us to love our neighbors and that includes our enemies as well those we are friendly with. To treat others as we would be treated, not as others have treated us. We need to be merciful to others because God has shown mercy to us.

Love is active; a genuine regard for others, for their well-being; to treat others as more important than ourselves. For how can we look down on others, or be quick in our temper toward them, when God has bestowed on us the incredible mercy of knowing our Lord and Saviour Jesus? Love for God will engender love for our neighbor. So let us walk closely with our Lord, sit at his feet in adoration and share with others our familiarity with him--his mercy, kindness and compassion.

Old 10-24-2020, 10:36 PM

88,584 posts, read 84,795,337 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Michael Way View Post
I think she meant holding a door open for another person at some public place. If I'm about to enter Barnes & Noble for instance, I'll hold the door open if another person is also about to enter.

What I wouldn't do is to offer to buy someone else's groceries. If someone came up to me and offered to pay for my groceries I would find that odd and would refuse. Now if someone looked really in need that would be a different matter.
I strongly believe that no one should have food withheld from them for any reason, but I wouldn't look at someone and assume they can't pay for their food. I support food pantries, soup kitchens, and organizations that rescue and redistribute food (and pay the truck drivers to deliver it) like City Harvest in New York City.

Old 10-25-2020, 05:12 PM

63,809 posts, read 40,087,129 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Basiliximab View Post
Yes, thank you. All of us who follow the Lord Jesus need to be reminded that he has called us to love our neighbors and that includes our enemies as well those we are friendly with. To treat others as we would be treated, not as others have treated us. We need to be merciful to others because God has shown mercy to us.

Love is active; a genuine regard for others, for their well-being; to treat others as more important than ourselves. For how can we look down on others, or be quick in our temper toward them, when God has bestowed on us the incredible mercy of knowing our Lord and Saviour Jesus? Love for God will engender love for our neighbor. So let us walk closely with our Lord, sit at his feet in adoration and share with others our familiarity with him--his mercy, kindness and compassion.
I love your beautiful Spirit!

Old 10-25-2020, 05:20 PM

10,036 posts, read 4,965,651 times
Quote:
It is important that we as Christians remember to go out of our way to be kind...the actions of love. Buy someone's groceries in the store for them. Open a door and smile (through your mask) for a stranger. Pick up some trash along the road. Call up people and be friendly...especially those with different ideologies. Bake your neighbor a pie. Listen to others politely.Together we can make this a better end to a rough year!
Yes, 'practical love' is important but even more so is Jesus' spreading the good news about God's kingdom - Luke 4:43.
Amid everything else, Jesus gave the instructions to follow as found at Matthew 24:14; 28:18-20; Acts 1:8.
So, besides all the neighborly good Samaritan acts, Christians are to tell other about the good news of Daniel 2:44.
God's kingdom is going to prove to be the final solution to mankind's problems.
So, we can either be ' part of man's problems or part of the solution ' by telling others about God's kingdom government in the hands of Christ Jesus for a coming thousand years - 1st Corinthians 15:24-26.

Old 10-25-2020, 05:25 PM

10,036 posts, read 4,965,651 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Meerkat2 View Post
Yep, the things we do for each other as individuals are important, it doesn’t need to be fancy or over the top but if we see someone Who has a need and we have the means to provide help Just do it without expecting anything back. So often we can get caught up in the rat race and forget about the simple things
Yes, 'caught up in the rat race and forget about the simple, or spiritual things ' such as listed at Galatians 5:22-23,
Besides doing the important good Samaritan things in widening out in showing practical love for others we need to couple that with doing the 'spiritual work' as Jesus instructed at Matthew 24:14; Acts 1:8 to tell others about the good news of God's kingdom (Daniel 2:44) as the coming lasting solution to mankind's problems.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Christianity