Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Christianity
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-30-2011, 10:24 AM

4,612 posts, read 4,895,179 times

Advertisements

What if a person believes in God and believes that Jesus was the son of God and is now in Heaven with this father.

The person also believes the Bible was written by humans who were seriously misguided. Sure, some of the stories about Jesus are mostly correct, but the rest is a bunch of garbage.

Is that person a Christian?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-30-2011, 11:19 AM

2,741 posts, read 8,885,092 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by hiker45 View Post
What if a person believes in God and believes that Jesus was the son of God and is now in Heaven with this father.

The person also believes the Bible was written by humans who were seriously misguided. Sure, some of the stories about Jesus are mostly correct, but the rest is a bunch of garbage.

Yep. A misguided one.

Old 10-30-2011, 11:25 AM

4,612 posts, read 4,895,179 times
Good, clear answer, Bud.

I should have added that my hypothetical person does not believe in the teachings of Mohammed, Joseph Smith, Rev. Sun Young Moon, or anyone else who tries to expand on Christianity.

He believe is the divinity of Jesus but ignores the rest of the silly blather in the New Testament.

Old 10-30-2011, 02:11 PM

10,213 posts, read 14,834,115 times
Default What then is the source of one's truth about Christ?

Quote:

What is the source of a person's knowledge of God and Christ ... if not the Bible? And, if it is the Bible, then how does one justify believing that part (page), yet, denying the rest? ----

I don't really have the option of 'picking and choosing' what parts/pages of God's Word, the Bible, that I will believe or discard ...unless, of course, "I" become the source of truth.

Old 10-30-2011, 03:06 PM

9,690 posts, read 10,018,190 times
For that person to be in Heaven He must have repented of sins, and resisted the carnal spirit to the Lord and loved the Lord and receive the Spirit of Christ into His heart ..... if he did not believe the whole Bible than he must have not preached division and caused himself to divide against Jesus and caused men to walk away from the truth , or he could have been lost to the Lord ....... If men do not believe in the frills of the Word of God that may only give ideas of the character of the Lord and His purpose ..... Then when he goes to Heaven he will be clued in to the truth and will live forever and a day in the Honor of the Lord and division will be gone and all will be one in Heaven under the Honor of the Lord .........

Old 10-30-2011, 03:15 PM

5,965 posts, read 7,018,151 times
There was actually no such thing as a "Christian" until certain people who followed Christ began to be persecuted for following his teachings and the word was used as a "pejorative". I think the word "Christian" now is so associated with hypocrisy that it is again almost a pejorative term. I do not believe the 66 books of the bible are the infallible/inner-ant word of God (though I do appreciate and have been taught by God through reading the scriptures). I don't care if anyone calls me Christian or unchristian ... what difference does it make in my life what others think?

Old 10-30-2011, 03:25 PM

76,971 posts, read 47,629,107 times
Quote:

I am assuming you are really asking if that person is saved, but the bolded part does not offer any information on whether or not the person is saved. Even the demons believe Jesus was the son of God, yet they are not saved. Personally I do not know any saved people who believe the Bible is mostly bunch of garbage.

We shall leave the judgment of other people's heart to God, but if you hear someone say the Bible is mostly bunch of garbage, there is a good chance the person is not saved.

Old 10-30-2011, 03:42 PM

28,956 posts, read 16,360,776 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Heartsong View Post
There was actually no such thing as a "Christian" until certain people who followed Christ began to be persecuted for following his teachings and the word was used as a "pejorative". I think the word "Christian" now is so associated with hypocrisy that it is again almost a pejorative term. I do not believe the 66 books of the bible are the infallible/inner-ant word of God (though I do appreciate and have been taught by God through reading the scriptures). I don't care if anyone calls me Christian or unchristian ... what difference does it make in my life what others think?
Many exalt themselves, or their belief system (B.S.) at the expense of another.

Old 10-30-2011, 04:15 PM

63,809 posts, read 40,087,129 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Finn_Jarber View Post
I am assuming you are really asking if that person is saved, but the bolded part does not offer any information on whether or not the person is saved. Even the demons believe Jesus was the son of God, yet they are not saved. Personally I do not know any saved people who believe the Bible is mostly bunch of garbage.
There is the favorite straw man of Fundamentalism. If you do not believe the current conglomeration of writings known as the Bible put together by men is 100% inerrant as interpreted, translated and transcribed . . . you must be among those who believe it is a bunch of garbage. Extremists bore me.
Quote:
We shall leave the judgment of other people's heart to God, but if you hear someone say the Bible is mostly bunch of garbage, there is a good chance the person is not saved.
Nothing judgmental there.

Old 10-30-2011, 04:17 PM

63,809 posts, read 40,087,129 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jerwade View Post
Many exalt themselves, or their belief system (B.S.) at the expense of another.
You crack me up, Jerwade!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Christianity