Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Christianity
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-17-2011, 11:10 AM

18,254 posts, read 16,963,369 times

Advertisements

POC meaning Point of Contention.

I have gradually shied away from giving money to charities. Everyone knows the scandals involving United Way, Robert Tilton, and hundreds of others. My philosophy has become "never put money into the hands of an intermediary because man, being by nature corrupt, will nearly always inevitably use that money for nefarious purposes (lavish spending on his/her own wants and desires)". I am even hesitant to put money into the hands of a down-and-out because I once gave money to a homeless man and made him promise to use it to buy some food. He swore on a stack of Bibles he would. Then I watched as he went into the liquor store across the street to buy a bottle of gin. Did i help him out or did I hurt him? Many will say that the good intention was enough, but that is to imply that I performed this good work in order to comply with James 2:14

Quote:
"What good is it, my brothers and sisters, if someone claims to have faith but has no deeds? Can such faith save them?"
Usually, when approached, I usually go out of my way to buy a subway or sandwich for him so I know he's at least getting something nutritious. I give money only as a last recourse, if buying food is impossible at the moment.

My wife, on the other hand, gives regularly to the Salvation Army and other charities. I've pointed out to her the likelihood that a large percentage of that money is going to pay for lavish salaries, offices, and perks for the Board of Directors, but she is adamant, saying that even if only 5% gets to the poor that is better than none at all getting to them. I counter that she is not being a good steward because no one in their right mind gives a buck knowing that only a nickle is likely doing some good.

We do not attend any regular church and do not feel a need to so I don't tithe, as I feel it is not applicable to Christians today. We watch Bayless Conley, who we feel is a cut above most televangelists I know I sound very cynical about organized religion and I even question Bayless after watching him tear down the entire Cottonwood facility to build a new multi-million-dollar "palace". Many say the good intentions is all that counts. I feel that the road to hell is paved with good intentions.

So would you good people tend to side with my wife, who has a good heart but little judgement about how her money is being used, or is my approach of putting food, water, clothing, etc directly into the hands of the needy better stewardship?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-17-2011, 11:32 AM

17,164 posts, read 11,417,968 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by thrillobyte View Post
So would you good people tend to side with my wife, who has a good heart but little judgement about how her money is being used, or is my approach of putting food, water, clothing, etc directly into the hands of the needy better stewardship?

i would tend to side with you both.

You're both following your own conscience and showing love the way you each feel is best, which is what charity is all about, right?

Maybe you could agree to each have your own funds available to you which you can disperse however and whenever you feel best?

Old 07-17-2011, 11:39 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pleroo View Post
i would tend to side with you both.

You're both following your own conscience and showing love the way you each feel is best, which is what charity is all about, right?

Maybe you could agree to each have your own funds available to you which you can disperse however and whenever you feel best?
Yes, our funds are separate, Pleroo, that it might be fulfilled which was spoken of by the prophets that "everything I have is hers, and everything she has is hers as well." via laws of intestacy and all that.

But seriously, do you feel that even if just a penny gets to the poor her money was well invested? I promise I won't tell.

Old 07-17-2011, 11:45 AM

17,164 posts, read 11,417,968 times
Quote:
Yes, our funds are separate, Pleroo, that it might be fulfilled which was spoken of by the prophets that "everything I have is hers, and everything she has is hers as well." laws of intestacy and all that.

But seriously, do you feel that even if just a penny gets to the poor her money was well invested?
I have mixed feelings about it, thrill ... and no definitive opinion. I just believe our understanding of how best to show love is going to change and grow over time... and we all need to respect and trust that process in each other, kwim?

Old 07-17-2011, 12:36 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pleroo View Post
I have mixed feelings about it, thrill ... and no definitive opinion. I just believe our understanding of how best to show love is going to change and grow over time... and we all need to respect and trust that process in each other, kwim?
Yes, and thank you for weighing in. It's a tough call, I know.

Old 07-17-2011, 03:23 PM

28,956 posts, read 16,407,564 times
You have the right to expect that the charities you support are transparent and accountable.
If there is no public disclosure, you may desire or want to assist people directly.

Old 07-17-2011, 03:41 PM

9,695 posts, read 10,043,447 times
If believers have faith in the promises of Jesus , He says he will bless them more that what they can give were Charity is a fruit of the Spirit and giving Charity with the good heart will break off selfishness, which is the will of God....... Look in the Book of Acts 10: 1-8, 19-33...... ``There was a certain man in Caesarea called Cornelius, a centurion of the band called the Italian band,..... A devout man, and one that feared God with all his house, which gave much alms to the people, and prayed to God always....He saw in a vision evidently about the ninth hour of the day an angel of God coming in to him and saying to him Cornelius.... And when he looked on him he was afraid, and said `What is it Lord?`...and he said to him Your prayers and your alms are coming up for a memorial before God... And now send men to Joppa and call for one Simon, who`s surname is Peter.....verse 33 Cornelius comes the Peter as God commands `Now there for are all here present before God, to hear all things that are commanded you of God ` ....... See here is a Gentile man who payed alms to the poor and prayed to God always and God through Jesus Apostle Peter was able to bless this man ......

Old 07-17-2011, 03:46 PM

28,115 posts, read 30,032,172 times
Quote:
POC meaning Point of Contention.

I have gradually shied away from giving money to charities. Everyone knows the scandals involving United Way, Robert Tilton, and hundreds of others. My philosophy has become "never put money into the hands of an intermediary because man, being by nature corrupt, will nearly always inevitably use that money for nefarious purposes (lavish spending on his/her own wants and desires)". I am even hesitant to put money into the hands of a down-and-out because I once gave money to a homeless man and made him promise to use it to buy some food. He swore on a stack of Bibles he would. Then I watched as he went into the liquor store across the street to buy a bottle of gin. Did i help him out or did I hurt him? Many will say that the good intention was enough, but that is to imply that I performed this good work in order to comply with James 2:14

Usually, when approached, I usually go out of my way to buy a subway or sandwich for him so I know he's at least getting something nutritious. I give money only as a last recourse, if buying food is impossible at the moment.

My wife, on the other hand, gives regularly to the Salvation Army and other charities. I've pointed out to her the likelihood that a large percentage of that money is going to pay for lavish salaries, offices, and perks for the Board of Directors, but she is adamant, saying that even if only 5% gets to the poor that is better than none at all getting to them. I counter that she is not being a good steward because no one in their right mind gives a buck knowing that only a nickle is likely doing some good.

We do not attend any regular church and do not feel a need to so I don't tithe, as I feel it is not applicable to Christians today. We watch Bayless Conley, who we feel is a cut above most televangelists I know I sound very cynical about organized religion and I even question Bayless after watching him tear down the entire Cottonwood facility to build a new multi-million-dollar "palace". Many say the good intentions is all that counts. I feel that the road to hell is paved with good intentions.

While I can understand your point of view, I don't share your degree of skepticism about organized charities. True, many of them are corrupt, but many are not. I think one point that you may have overlooked is that an organized charity that is truly focused on getting people's donations to the people who need them can do more good than many individuals giving independently to needy persons. The trick is finding an organization you trust. I do feel, though, that it's often more personally satisfying to give directly to someone in need.

Old 07-17-2011, 04:03 PM

3,943 posts, read 6,382,235 times
I say hand something directly to someone in need. We've given to charities only to find out that most of the $$$ go to the employees. What we do is get backpacks, and fill them up. Depending on the weather depends on what goes in the backpacks. We also put information in there about where they can go for assistance, a homeless shelter, etc...

We put canned food, washcloth, drinks, caps, socks, $5.00, toothbrush and paste, comb, peanuts, water, just things like that. It's incredibly rewarding.

Backpacks are on sale a lot, or you can get them through thrift stores or garage sales.

Old 07-18-2011, 08:09 AM

Quote:
You have the right to expect that the charities you support are transparent and accountable.
If there is no public disclosure, you may desire or want to assist people directly.
True, and Charity Navigator is an excellent starting point for getting an idea about how the monies are used and distributed:

Charity Navigator - America's Largest Charity Evaluator | Home

Quote:
If believers have faith in the promises of Jesus , He says he will bless them more that what they can give
Yes, I'm not disputing the need to give, just the need to be more discerning in where and how we choose to give. For example I wouldn't give a dime to TBN but I would give ten thousand dimes worth of food to a person in need.

Quote:
While I can understand your point of view, I don't share your degree of skepticism about organized charities. True, many of them are corrupt, but many are not. I think one point that you may have overlooked is that an organized charity that is truly focused on getting people's donations to the people who need them can do more good than many individuals giving independently to needy persons. The trick is finding an organization you trust. I do feel, though, that it's often more personally satisfying to give directly to someone in need.
Excellent response, Katzpur. And that's where Charity Navigator and other such rating websites become an excellent start. Can you believe an institution as benign and wholesome as the Salvation Army could get caught up in scandal?

Salvation Army needs to rebuild its image after botching Norman scandal - St. Petersburg Times

Quote:
I say hand something directly to someone in need. We've given to charities only to find out that most of the $$$ go to the employees. What we do is get backpacks, and fill them up. Depending on the weather depends on what goes in the backpacks. We also put information in there about where they can go for assistance, a homeless shelter, etc...

We put canned food, washcloth, drinks, caps, socks, $5.00, toothbrush and paste, comb, peanuts, water, just things like that. It's incredibly rewarding.

Backpacks are on sale a lot, or you can get them through thrift stores or garage sales.
That is the best idea I've heard, bar none, Jess5. Excellent. I'm going to check into that. Thank you much.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Christianity