Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Christianity
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-15-2011, 10:16 AM

62 posts, read 99,002 times

Advertisements

I realize there are racists and classists in every religion. Some are actually based off of it. My question is can you be a racist and be a christian at the same time?

Jesus came from an opressed group that was looked down upon at the time, was from a town that was looked down upon as a ghetto. He was raised in the ghetto, and did most of his good deeds and miracles in the ghetto. His disciples were also ruffnecks, except for the tax collector who was hated by most lower classes, but Jesus included him to show imo that he harbored no resentment towards the privlaged as well.

The bible also says "Love thy neighbor", couldn't neighbor be interpreted as neighboring countries, tribes, and races?

Also there is "God is love" and Gods statement that we are all created in his image.

So can you be a real christian and a real racist at the same time?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-15-2011, 10:25 AM

5,965 posts, read 7,021,857 times
I don't think a racist's heart is "right" with God. Though he may be a Christian, just one who is not very spiritually mature. God gives us time to "learn obedience" through the things we suffer. Some people have not suffered enough to learn all the lessons they have to learn - in fact, I think we can say that all of us are not yet done learning obedience through suffering. Sanctification is a process - not an instantaneous thing. Christians can be deceived about all kinds of issues. This does not mean they will not eventually come to the full knowledge of the truth.

Old 12-15-2011, 10:33 AM

939 posts, read 1,025,528 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by FurbyThug View Post
I realize there are racists and classists in every religion. Some are actually based off of it. My question is can you be a racist and be a christian at the same time?

Jesus came from an opressed group that was looked down upon at the time, was from a town that was looked down upon as a ghetto. He was raised in the ghetto, and did most of his good deeds and miracles in the ghetto. His disciples were also ruffnecks, except for the tax collector who was hated by most lower classes, but Jesus included him to show imo that he harbored no resentment towards the privlaged as well.

The bible also says "Love thy neighbor", couldn't neighbor be interpreted as neighboring countries, tribes, and races?

Also there is "God is love" and Gods statement that we are all created in his image.

I believe a person can become a Christian and not know they are wrong about race or class issues...but once they have become aware of the Bible's teachings on it if they refuse to change their minds on it I would have to question their faith.

Old 12-15-2011, 12:49 PM

63,844 posts, read 40,128,566 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Heartsong View Post
I don't think a racist's heart is "right" with God. Though he may be a Christian, just one who is not very spiritually mature. God gives us time to "learn obedience" through the things we suffer. Some people have not suffered enough to learn all the lessons they have to learn - in fact, I think we can say that all of us are not yet done learning obedience through suffering. Sanctification is a process - not an instantaneous thing. Christians can be deceived about all kinds of issues. This does not mean they will not eventually come to the full knowledge of the truth.
Amen!

Old 12-15-2011, 12:54 PM

6,222 posts, read 4,014,922 times
Quote:

Of course you can be a racist with any concept including evolution.

Old 12-16-2011, 06:24 AM

1,727 posts, read 2,549,582 times
Sure you "can". I don't know how they justify it in their minds, but there are plenty of Christian racists.

Old 12-16-2011, 07:10 AM

10,379 posts, read 10,924,893 times
There are no perfect "Christians", so yes it is quite possible for someone to be prejudiced and a Christian. Its possible because every person is, no matter how hard they deny it. People being born sinners one and all can be prejudiced not just based on race, but on sex, age, language, city or country of origin, weight, etc. "If we say we have no sin, we deceive ourselves and the truth is not in us."

Old 12-17-2011, 04:13 AM

32,530 posts, read 22,051,694 times
Quote:

You don't think Thomas was a rough-neck?...He was a Jew collecting taxes from his own people FOR the enemy, Rome, and he didn't do it from a nice comfy and safe office either, like our IRS does today...He was running around in the backwaters collecting taxes from Jews, so it was was worse for him being a Jew...You don't think that if he were not a rough-neck that he would not have ended up buried in some field in some backwater village?...

Old 12-17-2011, 12:01 PM

8,181 posts, read 6,933,064 times
What is a "Christian"?

Labels mean very little to me, so I find labels to just muddy things up more than clarify things.

It's what is in your heart.
The way of Christ, is the way of LOVE.
God IS Love.

What is "Christian"? Christ didn't come to bring more religions into the world. He didn't come here so that people could divide themselves up even more into their little groups "christians versus non-christians". He came to show us the path to the Father. God.
God is... what?
God is LOVE.

If you're asking, can you follow the path of LOVE and be a racist? Of course not.

This whole "Christian" label thing really confuses things. It's not the label that matters. It's not the religious (or non-religious) group that you belong to and are a "member" of... it's not what you SAY you believe. It's about your heart, your thoughts, words, actions, your mindset. It's all about LOVE.

This love and non-love within us is what is teaching us. The contrast within, our choices that we make all day long, within our minds, our hearts, our thoughts, actions, words.... all day long we are ACTIVELY choosing the NARROW path that leads to LIFE (by LOVING) and the WIDE path that leads to destruction (Witholding love, shrinking love, squashing love).

It is NOT LOVE that is in action when a human being looks at another fellow human being and in his heart thinks "surely this person is less valuable than me". That is a LACK of love. That is something that is on the wide road to destruction. That thought will one day be OVERCOME by love.

You just don't get your hand stamped "CHRISTIAN" and think your little feet are walking on on that narrow path. In fact, the next time your feet ARE on that narrow path (of love) look beside you and some will be shocked to see those walking right alongside them with the handstamp of "MUSLIM", "ATHEIST", "HINDU", "WICCAN", "BUDDHIST". etc...

peace,
sparrow

Old 12-17-2011, 12:03 PM

14,890 posts, read 17,174,505 times
I think that there is a difference between someone who may have some racist thinking that he or she needs to deal with with the help of God and one who promotes racism in the name of Christianity. God bless.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Christianity