Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Christianity
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 07-06-2017, 08:23 PM

12,918 posts, read 16,894,870 times

Advertisements

When I was a very young child I remember when one of our pets died, someone remarked with shock that it's sibling was showing no remorse. I didn't think that was completely true. I have seen animals showing sadness when their friend dies. But I do believe they get over it pretty quickly. They are realists. They understand that they have to find new friends. They know that they have no choice.

The problem with many human beings is that they often never get over family or friends that they have lost. And that to me is one of the greatest tragedies of life. God has given us the gift of life wherever we find it. If we follow God's way, we can find new friends and loved ones to replace those who have passed. Sadly, some people live with the false hope that they will reunite with past loved ones, because they have not accepted the truth. Some people don't even want to get a new pet when they have lost one.

But even the character of the messiah, while he was on the cross, told his mother to behold her new son, which was one of his disciples. He himself was giving her a "replacement" for himself. If you read that the way I think it was intended, it is a very different message than what the evangelical churches have always taught. They don't realize that the same spirit is found in everyone. The bad thing is that I believe they are trying to live on false hope. But because many of them have the same desires and hopes, and encourage each other with them whenever they meet, they don't consider that those might be false hopes.

They can't even accept God's greatest gift. It is the one miracle they don't believe in.

What do you think?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-07-2017, 08:06 PM

I can't believe no one has anything to say about this. I think it's pretty insightful, personally.

Old 07-07-2017, 08:22 PM

31,373 posts, read 20,242,237 times
I don't believe in a "God" as usually described. But I believe we are gifted and should make our best use of same.

One of our gifts should be the realization that we aren't particularly special in the universal scheme of things. Other dominant species preceded us.

Our descendants, or their conquerors, will succeed us.

We should do the best we can, with the tools we have at hand, to make the best lives we can, for as many as we can.

Old 07-07-2017, 08:38 PM

12,979 posts, read 9,692,345 times
Personally I don't understand what you are exactly trying to say. Are you saying the greatest gift, is to grieve the loss of a person you love, then being able to get over it quickly and move on with your life. Everybody grieves different than the next person, and you just can't compare people to animals on how they grieve. What is the false hope you are referring to?

Old 07-08-2017, 03:15 PM

106 posts, read 68,754 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ipaper View Post

Are you saying the greatest gift, is to grieve the loss of a person you love, then being able to get over it quickly and move on with your life[?] Everybody grieves different than the next person, and you just can't compare people to animals on how they grieve. What is the false hope you are referring to?

Yes, grieving process has no time limit. It runs it course differently for different people... but the false hope OzzyRules refers to appears to be: his perceived false hope that we'll eventually link back up with departed friends and family, when letting them go to embrace new family and friends is where it at on an advancing spiritual level.

Could be wrong here, though that's how it's coming across: Let them go, move on, fully embrace the new when you're able to.

Old 07-08-2017, 03:37 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Glu Glukan View Post
Yes, grieving process has no time limit. It runs it course differently for different people... but the false hope OzzyRules refers to appears to be: his perceived false hope that we'll eventually link back up with departed friends and family, when letting them go to embrace new family and friends is where it at on an advancing spiritual level.

Could be wrong here, though that's how it's coming across: Let them go, move on, fully embrace the new when you're able to.

Thanks for your viewpoint, still would like to hear from the OP also.

Old 07-08-2017, 03:41 PM

9,588 posts, read 5,060,041 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by OzzyRules View Post
When I was a very young child I remember when one of our pets died, someone remarked with shock that it's sibling was showing no remorse. I didn't think that was completely true. I have seen animals showing sadness when their friend dies. But I do believe they get over it pretty quickly. They are realists. They understand that they have to find new friends. They know that they have no choice.

The problem with many human beings is that they often never get over family or friends that they have lost. And that to me is one of the greatest tragedies of life. God has given us the gift of life wherever we find it. If we follow God's way, we can find new friends and loved ones to replace those who have passed. Sadly, some people live with the false hope that they will reunite with past loved ones, because they have not accepted the truth. Some people don't even want to get a new pet when they have lost one.

But even the character of the messiah, while he was on the cross, told his mother to behold her new son, which was one of his disciples. He himself was giving her a "replacement" for himself. If you read that the way I think it was intended, it is a very different message than what the evangelical churches have always taught. They don't realize that the same spirit is found in everyone. The bad thing is that I believe they are trying to live on false hope. But because many of them have the same desires and hopes, and encourage each other with them whenever they meet, they don't consider that those might be false hopes.

They can't even accept God's greatest gift. It is the one miracle they don't believe in.

What do you think?

I don't think anyone quite "gets" what your point is, exactly? Maybe you could elaborate a little more? Thanks. Peace

Old 07-08-2017, 04:06 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Glu Glukan View Post

Yes. That's a good way of putting it. Revelation says that the light of the "sun and moon" will no longer be needed. The sun and moon refers to our parents, whom most people will lose in their lifetime.

Old 07-08-2017, 04:22 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by OzzyRules View Post
Yes. That's a good way of putting it. Revelation says that the light of the "sun and moon" will no longer be needed. The sun and moon refers to our parents, whom most people will lose in their lifetime.
Both of my parents are gone, and I certainly look forward to seeing them again on the other side. I don't believe you totally ever get completely over it, but you just learn to deal with it and accept it as time goes on.

Old 07-08-2017, 04:27 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ipaper View Post
Both of my parents are gone, and I certainly look forward to seeing them again on the other side. I don't believe you totally ever get completely over it, but you just learn to deal with it and accept it as time goes on.
It took me roughly 30 minutes to grieve the loss of my father. It was the worst 30 minutes of my life. I didn't think I would ever be able to face such a thing. Anytime in my life up to that point in time, prior to that 30 minute segment of time, I felt the same way.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Christianity