Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Christianity
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 12-12-2011, 06:19 PM

1,906 posts, read 1,615,963 times

Advertisements

On another website, a friend was reminiscing about the part Burl Ives played in her holiday childhood through television.

A friend of hers replied that Mr. Ives had been a communist and an atheist.

I countered that he was also a great narrator of children’s stories.

My friend came back and said that Mr. Ives showed (his involvement in communism) to be false.

A bit later, I got a Private Message from this friend of my friend. He told me to consult Psalm 23.

Now, I'm no Christian by any stretch of the imagination, but I have a few Bibles, and I know what the 23rd Psalm is. So I was puzzled by the connections he was making. I looked over several sources just to be sure, and found nothing helpful.

I replied to him, saying I’d checked several different Bibles and couldn’t figure out what Mr. Ives’ alleged connection to communism and possible atheism had to do with the 23rd Psalm, and asked him if he could please clarify for me.

I haven’t heard from him since.

Did he direct me to the wrong Bible verse, or did I just not get it? Something else?

Help please.

Thank you.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-12-2011, 06:21 PM

987 posts, read 1,119,212 times
Tis a mystery to me.

Old 12-12-2011, 07:13 PM

5,965 posts, read 7,019,250 times
I can't really imagine what he meant, but I find that is not uncommon on these forums. People post things quite often that don't make any sense to me. It can be frustrating when people answer your question with a random bible verse, as if they do not want to speak plainly enough to actually communicate. Even more frustrating is when someone posts 3 random chapters of scriptures as their only response to a new topic. I usually don't bother reading those types of longish posts.

Old 12-13-2011, 04:31 PM

9,690 posts, read 10,020,758 times
Found that Burl Ives was a Freemason from a web pages that takes of that belief .... See the only Christian Burl Ives did was put out Christmas music with Santa Claus ``Joly Joly Christmas ``..... The only thing in Psalms 23 for miss quote for atheist is verse 4...``Yea though I walk through the valley of the shadow of death . I will fear no evil``...but any more would be faith In the living God of Jesus ....?....

Old 12-13-2011, 05:53 PM

1,534 posts, read 1,991,261 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by PatsCats View Post
On another website, a friend was reminiscing about the part Burl Ives played in her holiday childhood through television.

A friend of hers replied that Mr. Ives had been a communist and an atheist.

I countered that he was also a great narrator of children’s stories.

My friend came back and said that Mr. Ives showed (his involvement in communism) to be false.

A bit later, I got a Private Message from this friend of my friend. He told me to consult Psalm 23.

Now, I'm no Christian by any stretch of the imagination, but I have a few Bibles, and I know what the 23rd Psalm is. So I was puzzled by the connections he was making. I looked over several sources just to be sure, and found nothing helpful.

I replied to him, saying I’d checked several different Bibles and couldn’t figure out what Mr. Ives’ alleged connection to communism and possible atheism had to do with the 23rd Psalm, and asked him if he could please clarify for me.

I haven’t heard from him since.

Did he direct me to the wrong Bible verse, or did I just not get it? Something else?

Help please.

Thank you.
That IS a strange answer. Especially since the 23rd Psalm is about the life/walk of a believer.

May ppl think the 23rd Psalm is about dying when in reality it's about life; this life in the flesh.

The phrase 'valley of the shadow of death' is a Hebrew idiom. Every 'man' is born into this world and every man shall leave this world; in death.

And because of this the Scriptures says we walk under 'the shadow of death.' However everyone who knows The Giver of Life has no fear of death/dying for he has the promise/hope of resurrect/eternal life which is given to those who love and obey Him, and are faithful to the end.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Christianity