Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Christianity
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-28-2011, 08:55 AM

2,108 posts, read 2,898,542 times

Advertisements

Thread after thread on this forum contain the debates of Christian versus Christian. And quite often the tone isn't, "well, I understand it differently"; but instead we see quite often, "I'm right and you are wrong".

Aren't you all supposed to be talking to the same God, listening to the same Spirit, and studying the same "Word of God"? If you are all using the same Spirit to help you understand the scriptures, why do you so often come away with contradictory understandings? And if your argument is only some people are listening to the Spirit, and others just think they are, then why is that so, and how to you know that you are not among those that just think they are? Why do you think it is so difficult for your fellow Christians to find the Spirit and understand the scriptures correctly?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-28-2011, 08:58 AM

23,025 posts, read 34,423,375 times
Because not everyone is listening to the Holy Spirit.

Old 12-28-2011, 09:09 AM

5,925 posts, read 6,956,631 times
Because we are all unique individuals all with a different walk.

Old 12-28-2011, 09:19 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by I LOVE NORTH CAROLINA View Post
Because not everyone is listening to the Holy Spirit.
And as I asked in my original post, if your answer is only some people are listening to the Spirit, and others just think they are, then why is that so, and how to you know that you are not among those that just think they are? Why do you think it is so difficult for your fellow Christians to find the Spirit and understand the scriptures correctly?

Old 12-28-2011, 09:24 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Phazelwood View Post
Because we are all unique individuals all with a different walk.
That would make sense if we were talking about finding out what the best course of action is for you, etc. But, I am talking about Christian doctrine. Such as either Eternal Torment is true or Universal Reconciliation is true (or something else is true), and one's personal path has no bearing on which of these is the nature of reality and what is true Christian doctrine as taught in the Word of God and understood through His Holy Spirit.

Old 12-28-2011, 09:25 AM

23,025 posts, read 34,423,375 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hueffenhardt View Post
And as I asked in my original post, if your answer is only some people are listening to the Spirit, and others just think they are, then why is that so, and how to you know that you are not among those that just think they are? Why do you think it is so difficult for your fellow Christians to find the Spirit and understand the scriptures correctly?
God has provided the answers we need for every problem or misconception. Jesus is our teacher and through the indwelling presence of His Holy Spirit, He makes all things known to us. (John 14:26) He enabled us to discern truth from error. However, godly accuracy requires a desire and love for God's Word.

Old 12-28-2011, 09:31 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by I LOVE NORTH CAROLINA View Post
However, godly accuracy requires a desire and love for God's Word.
So, the people who have the Holy Spirit to give them the correct understanding of the scriptures, have a desire and love for God's Word, and those who don't have the Holy Spirit don't have a desire and love for God's Word?

What then of those people, with honest and sincere hearts, who really believe that they have a desire and love for God's Word, and believe they have the Holy Spirit, but they believe the Holy Spirit leads them to a different understanding of the scriptures, and thus Christian doctrine, than you?

Old 12-28-2011, 09:42 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by thebpseven View Post
Because the only information we have was given to us by human sources, and that information is not infallible.

Even your own question only allows two answers, which isn't much of a question, is it? The answer you want would have to be, "Yes, I completely follow the humanly written scripture that we are told by other humans that it is definitely the COMPLETE WORD OF GOD and nothing is omitted, missing, or added improperly by midguided humans."
Or, one would have to answer, "No, I do not completely base my faith on a written scripture, because I believe that God's aim for us and His will cannot possibly be contained in a book that we already know has errors in translation and information, among other things, and God's word does not have errors. Human's interpretation of God's word has errors, and I purely follow what I know IN MY HEART what God's word is."
To my understanding, I asked a few open-ended questions, that permit the responder to answer howsoever they wish. If I did only permit two answers, that was not my intent. I don't have any answers in mind that I want, other than that people really consider the questions and give their honest answers.

Quote:
Originally Posted by thebpseven View Post
God makes things obvious, He doesn't have to beat around the bush.
Well, here is my question, then, if God makes things so obvious, why can't a number of Christians see it? For instance, for many who believe in ET, they think ET is obviously the true doctrine, but to many who believe in UR, they think UR is obviously the true doctrine. It can't be that obvious if a number of Christians can't see it.

Old 12-28-2011, 09:45 AM

5,925 posts, read 6,956,631 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hueffenhardt View Post
That would make sense if we were talking about finding out what the best course of action is for you, etc. But, I am talking about Christian doctrine. Such as either Eternal Torment is true or Universal Reconciliation is true (or something else is true), and one's personal path has no bearing on which of these is the nature of reality and what is true Christian doctrine as taught in the Word of God and understood through His Holy Spirit.

The truth of what we all believe ultimatly is irrelevant to your question. If what I believe is true or if what you believe is true is not because we believe it.

We can believe differently because we are individuals, if I happen to agree with you that doesn't mean we are the same, or that what we agree on is true, it is a matter of our paths crossing and interacting as individuals and the choices we make in life.

Even amongst people that appear to believe the same, that might be in a general sense, but ultimatly everyone has a slight variation about what may appear to be common ground. Whether it is about Christianity, or any other religion or whether you are an atheist. All the different beliefs are because we are all unique individuals.

Old 12-28-2011, 09:53 AM

14,905 posts, read 17,212,127 times
Quote:
Well, here is my question, then, if God makes things so obvious, why can't a number of Christians see it? For instance, for many who believe in ET, they think ET is obviously the true doctrine, but to many who believe in UR, they think UR is obviously the true doctrine. It can't be that obvious if a number of Christians can't see it.
Hi, I don't believe that things are that obvious due to translation errors and also due to tradition, incorrect teaching, for example. Some may not search things out or pray for guidance. Many if not the majority of believers did believe in the eventual restoration of all (UR) in the early church but this changed during the Dark Ages, I believe. I also believe that God opens eyes and hearts to receive certain things in His own time. We are all at different levels in our walk and growing at different rates. God bless.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Christianity