Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Christianity
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-04-2012, 09:00 AM

3,066 posts, read 3,722,527 times

Advertisements

Is the Bible any different than the other major world religions' holy books?

Is that only proof that the Bible is divinely authored is that it says it is divinely authored?

If effect, don't all holy books make that same claim?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-04-2012, 09:05 AM

1,816 posts, read 2,513,047 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ancient warrior View Post

Is that only proof that the Bible is divinely authored is that it says it is divinely authored?

The Christian Bible is quite different from those of other religions, but the degree of differentiation is much larger between, say, the Bible and the Vedas than between the Christian Bible and other Abrahamic texts.

I can't rightfully speak for non Abrahamic texts, but generally all the Abrahamic ones claim that their holy book is the only correct one. This makes sense, as they are all referring to the same God. There will be many of the same stories/verses/morals in all of them.

I would suspect that non Abrahamic holy books do make the same exclusivity claims though.

Old 01-04-2012, 09:07 AM

939 posts, read 1,024,908 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ancient warrior View Post

The Bible has 66 books in it, by different authors, in different times. We have thousands of manuscripts dating back to about 125 AD, only about 60 years after the time it was written. Yet...they all have a single message throughout (Christ).

No other book comes close. The koran is the mindless ramblings of 1 man. the hadith is a compilation of his further sayings written by others.

the book of mormon is a book plagiarized from the Bible by Joseph Smith. There are many similarities between stories in it and the Bible. Ever wonder why if he translated it from golden plates that it was written in King James English?

Old 01-04-2012, 09:14 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheoGeek View Post
the book of mormon is a book plagiarized from the Bible by Joseph Smith. There are many similarities between stories in it and the Bible. Ever wonder why if he translated it from golden plates that it was written in King James English?
The Book of Mormon actually isn't a plagiarism of the Christian Bible - it is an addendum. Mormon's canon consists of the Christian Bible exactly as it is for other Christians, unchanged. (I believe they use the KJV, but I'm not certain. I am also unsure of what is popular among churches in terms of translation - is the KJV still readily used?) But they haven't changed the Christian Bible.

The Book of Mormon instead is supposed to act as a clarification of sorts. But it isn't superseding the Christian Bible.

Old 01-04-2012, 09:18 AM

5,261 posts, read 7,659,469 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Fillmont View Post
....The Book of Mormon.....a clarification of sorts.........
Bingo.

Old 01-04-2012, 09:19 AM

Ancient Warrior, you might want to consider posting this in the main Religion forum here too - you would get a more balanced response from those who have more knowledge of other holy books. In a Christian board, you're (rightfully) bound to really only get answers from one perspective.

Old 01-04-2012, 09:21 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Verna Perry View Post
Bingo.
Yep! The way I see it, the holy books of Christianity, Islam and Mormonism all serve as "clarifications" for things the previous group had erred on. It really is sort of fascinating to see the "evolution" of Abrahamic faiths as it has spread around the globe.

Old 01-04-2012, 09:30 AM

5,261 posts, read 7,659,469 times
Quote:
...The Book of Mormon.......a clarification of sorts.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Verna Perry View Post
Bingo.
Quote:
Yep! The way I see it, the holy books of Christianity, Islam and Mormonism all serve as "clarifications" for things the previous group had erred on. It really is sort of fascinating to see the "evolution" of Abrahamic faiths as it has spread around the globe.
No other book compares to the Bible...and no other book can "clarify" anything written in Scripture. Period .

Old 01-04-2012, 09:42 AM

939 posts, read 1,024,908 times
Quote:
The Book of Mormon actually isn't a plagiarism of the Christian Bible - it is an addendum. Mormon's canon consists of the Christian Bible exactly as it is for other Christians, unchanged. (I believe they use the KJV, but I'm not certain. I am also unsure of what is popular among churches in terms of translation - is the KJV still readily used?) But they haven't changed the Christian Bible.

The Book of Mormon instead is supposed to act as a clarification of sorts. But it isn't superseding the Christian Bible.
Actually, there is quite a bit of it that is plagiarized from the Bible. Joe just changed some of the names and a few details. He claimed it was a further testament...but it's clear that he stole several ideas from the Bible.

Old 01-04-2012, 09:47 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheoGeek View Post
Actually, there is quite a bit of it that is plagiarized from the Bible. Joe just changed some of the names and a few details. He claimed it was a further testament...but it's clear that he stole several ideas from the Bible.
I haven't read the Book of Mormon, but wouldn't any clarification have a certain level of sameness with the original text? A clarification isn't trying to upend the status quo, so wouldn't the some of the same ideas be present in both? I don't think any Christians claim that they plagiarized the Tanakh when they were assembling their Bible, even though they share/stole a lot of the same ideas.

Just playing devil's advocate here. I wish that the OP had put this in the main Religion Forum, as I'm afraid it won't do all that much good here in a Christian Forum.

Shrug.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Christianity