Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Christianity
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-10-2012, 12:42 PM

12,030 posts, read 9,341,078 times

Advertisements

Seriously; why would God need prayer?

I don't understand a God that needs prayer.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-10-2012, 12:53 PM

63,809 posts, read 40,077,272 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Julian658 View Post
This question and the similar one about worship proceed from the mistaken assumption that God needs ANYTHING from us. He doesn't . . . that includes the glory everyone keeps thinking they can give to God. God IS infinite glory and nothing we do can add to or subtract from His glory, period. Prayer and worship are for OUR benefit . . . not for God.

Old 01-10-2012, 01:02 PM

12,030 posts, read 9,341,078 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MysticPhD View Post
This question and the similar one about worship proceed from the mistaken assumption that God needs ANYTHING from us. He doesn't . . . that includes the glory everyone keeps thinking they can give to God. God IS infinite glory and nothing we do can add to or subtract from His glory, period. Prayer and worship are for OUR benefit . . . not for God.

I like your thinking! It makes sense to me.

It also removes the issue of fear from God.

Prayer is for our benefit (whether the prayer is answered or not is a moot point).

Old 01-10-2012, 01:25 PM

18,158 posts, read 15,626,323 times
Quote:
I like your thinking! It makes sense to me.

It also removes the issue of fear from God.

Prayer is for our benefit (whether the prayer is answered or not is a moot point).
Of course prayer is for our benefit. The Lord does not need prayer. In the end...I feel that prayer is a gift of the Lord. A way for us to give Him our troubles.

Old 01-10-2012, 01:36 PM

1,534 posts, read 1,990,697 times
Quote:

Not sure where you get the idea that God needs prayer.

But then I have to ask you what your definition of 'prayer' is?

Prayer is just talking to God.

Sometimes it's just to tell Him how much we love Him and appreciate Him/His blessings.

Sometimes it's just asking for wisdom/guidance.

Sometimes it's asking for help for ourselves, our families, friends, etc.

I talk to Him all day long. He's the first One I talk to upon waking and the last One I talk to before I fall asleep.

Old 01-10-2012, 01:47 PM

2,541 posts, read 2,541,592 times
Quote:

He wants our prayer because love is a two way communication. That is what love is. Heart to heart. It is not because He doesn't already know what we need but the greater need is that He wants a two way communication to our spiritual benefit and overall well being. Contact with Him will reflect automatically with our fellow man, wife, children, country, etc. He can not express Himself in fullness to a closed heart.

Old 01-10-2012, 01:56 PM

3,066 posts, read 3,722,926 times
Quote:

RESPONSE:

Neither do I.

If God cannot change, then praying for some intention would have no effect.

Old 01-10-2012, 02:01 PM

17,966 posts, read 15,966,764 times
Since the future is already set, prayer is to align us with what God is doing and has already planned not to align God with our plans.

Old 01-10-2012, 03:08 PM

5,925 posts, read 6,946,224 times
Quote:

The God in the Holy Bible don't need prayer. There may be some that teach that he does, but I am unaware of who that may be.

Old 01-10-2012, 05:15 PM

9,689 posts, read 10,015,913 times
God does not do any thing in the earth unless someone prays ... For every thing that belongs to Jesus belongs to believers who will pray.... There are some hopeless evangelist who may say `nobody gets saved by pray` ....but these same Evangelist who when someone comes to them to get save they will contradict their statement and ask Jesus to save the convert .....Jesus said in Matthew 7: 7-8....``Ask and it will be given to you, seek and you will find , knock and if will be opened to you .for every one ask receives and he that seeks find and to him that knocks it will be opened ``... There is a prayer of Jabez that contradicts all the religious thinking of not asking God for nothing ..... from 1 Chronicles 4: 10....``And Jabez called on the God of Israel, saying `Oh that you would bless me indeed, and enlarge my coast, and that your hand might be with me and that you would keep me from evil, that it may not grieve me!..And God granted him that which he requested``....See Jabez prayed and God answered that which he requested....... See God need our Prayer, Holy Spirit is called to Judge the faith and expectation of the request of our pray and if the faith and expecting is weak then the blessing will be weak or nil . BUT if the faith in the confidence is strong and our expectation is strong then the power of the blessing from God will be strong ....
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Christianity