Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Christianity
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: Do you believe the catholic church was the 1st church?
yes 21 29.58%
no 50 70.42%
Voters: 71. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-16-2012, 08:37 PM

44 posts, read 48,348 times

Advertisements

The catholic church was started in 325 ad.

Christ established his Church in ad 33.

Peter was not the first pope.

When Christ said i will give YOU the keys to the Kingdom of heaven he was talking to all of the apostles because he said in the gospel of John that all would believe on him through the apostles doctrine.

The keys we're not physical keys to a building they we're the Gospel. The doctrin that would come from God through the Holy spirit to the apostles.

God is the only one that can add you to His Church.

He does so when you Obey his Gospel.

The catholic church was however the first denomination.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-16-2012, 08:40 PM

5,261 posts, read 7,660,837 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Saltandlight View Post

When Christ said i will give YOU the keys to the Kingdom of heaven he was talking to all of the apostles because he said in the gospel of John that all would believe on him through the apostles doctrine.

The keys we're not physical keys to a building they we're the Gospel. The doctrin that would come from God through the Holy spirit to the apostles.

Amen!

Old 01-16-2012, 08:58 PM

Hi Verna. Hope we get some good discussion going here.

Old 01-16-2012, 09:07 PM

12,030 posts, read 9,341,078 times
Quote:

You shoot yourself in the foot by admitting that .

Church or religion is man made. And the Catholic church preserved Christianity by being the 1st church (or denomination).

Old 01-16-2012, 09:21 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Julian658 View Post
You shoot yourself in the foot by admitting that .

Church or religion is man made. And the Catholic church preserved Christianity by being the 1st church (or denomination).
The Church that Christ established was not a denomination.

A denomination is a division of the whole.

The Church Jesus established was complete in him and he is the head.

It is not man made.

The catholic church in it's beginnings persecuted true christians because they would not leave the Church Christ established and join with them.

Christ preserved christianity when he said in Matt. 16:18 I will build my church and the gates of hades shall not overcome it.

Old 01-16-2012, 09:47 PM

28,097 posts, read 29,963,441 times
Quote:
I think you're wrong about that. It may be the earliest one which continues to exist today. It may be the earliest one we have a name for. But there were literally dozens of differing groups of Christians by the end of the first century. I don't know what you'd call them, but I'd call them denominations.

Old 01-17-2012, 12:41 AM

889 posts, read 825,471 times
So whatever gets voted for more is the truth, huh? Appears to be typical protestant methodology to arrive at the truth. The majority agrees to a new false doctrine and the minority break off and start there own denomination. Par.

Old 01-17-2012, 01:03 AM

1,139 posts, read 1,775,773 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by GoodToBeHome View Post
So whatever gets voted for more is the truth, huh? Appears to be typical protestant methodology to arrive at the truth. The majority agrees to a new false doctrine and the minority break off and start there own denomination. Par.
Amen.

Old 01-17-2012, 03:06 AM

32,530 posts, read 22,029,149 times
Quote:

catholic simply means universal...Nad it is not you who gats added to the body for obeying the Gospel but it is Yehovaw Elohim Hawyaw that has added you to the body from the beginning and at His pre-appointed time called you and opened your eyes unto belief and saved you and added you to His body of believers...You can take no part or credit in this...at all...It is His Grace...

Old 01-17-2012, 03:13 AM

32,530 posts, read 22,029,149 times
Quote:
The Church that Christ established was not a denomination.

A denomination is a division of the whole.

The Church Jesus established was complete in him and he is the head.

It is not man made.

The catholic church in it's beginnings persecuted true christians because they would not leave the Church Christ established and join with them.

Christ preserved christianity when he said in Matt. 16:18 I will build my church and the gates of hades shall not overcome it.
You need a deeper study of these things...catholic is not a denomination...

cath·o·lic   /ˈkæθəlɪk, ˈkæθlɪk/ Show Spelled[kath-uh-lik, kath-lik] Show IPA
adjective
1. broad or wide-ranging in tastes, interests, or the like; having sympathies with all; broad-minded; liberal.
2. universal in extent; involving all; of interest to all.
3. pertaining to the whole Christian body or church.
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Origin:
1300–1350; Middle English < Latin catholicus < Greek katholikós general, equivalent to kathól ( ou ) universally (contraction of phrase katà hólou according to the whole; see cata-, holo-) + -ikos -ic

The Roman Emperor Constantine established himself as the head of the church around 313 A.D., which made this new "Christianity" the official religion of the Roman Empire. The first actual Pope in Rome was probably Leo I (440-461 A.D.), although some claim that Gregory I was the first (590-604 A.D.). This ungodly system eventually ushered in the darkest period of history known to man, properly known as the "Dark Ages" (500-1500 A.D.). Through popes, bishops, and priests, Satan ruled Europe, and Biblical Christianity became illegal. - http://www.av1611.org/jmelton/Catholic.html
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Christianity