U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Christianity
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Search Forums  (Advanced)
Reply Start New Thread
 
Old 01-17-2012, 11:20 PM
 
Location: The western periphery of Terra Australis
24,682 posts, read 50,531,164 times
Reputation: 11862

Advertisements

The latter is if you're a woman. We're not discussing homosexuality here...

I've often wondered about what Jesus meant when he talks about 'looking at another women with lust' as like committing adultery. I assume this analogy only applies to married men? In that case, or even in the case of single men, do you think it's sinful or carnal to get aroused by a woman, whether visually, by touch.etc?

I mean of course it's an inbuilt biological urge so can men really be blamed? Maybe it's about how far you take it or encourage it then? Is say, getting turned on by seeing a woman in a revealing outfit 'looking at her with lust'? Or is it actually desiring to have sex with her?
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

 
Old 01-17-2012, 11:51 PM
 
Location: Florida
5,261 posts, read 6,941,860 times
Reputation: 847
A good example of willful sin would be Adultery, which is an act of sin that occurs when a person chooses to set aside God's law and have sexual relations outside of marriage. Please take note that to commit Adultery is an act of sin, but the lust which precedes the decision is NOT AN ACT OF SIN, rather it is the manifestation of the Sin nature.

Jesus said:

"But I say unto you, That whosoever looketh on a woman TO lust after her hath committed adultery with her already in his heart." Matthew 5:28

Jesus was saying this: "The Pharisees have told you that you are committing Adultery only if you actually have relations with a woman,
but I say to you that it is the intent of your heart that God judges. If you look upon a woman lusting to have sex with her, and the only thing stopping you is the lack of opportunity, then you have already broken God's law in your heart."

The word TO means: "indicating intention, purpose or end." (Websters) If a man is looking on a woman with the intention of lusting after her then he certainly is not trying to avoid lust! He may be sure that his heart is still set upon evil. He may also be sure that if he would commit Adultery given the opportunity, he is not truly Born-Again because John says that "Whosoever is born of God doth not commit sin." (1 John 3:9)

Looking upon someone TO lust after them is a sin, but the Devil wants Christians to think that just looking at the opposite sex and feeling desire is also an act of sin. That is not true! It is simply the first stage of temptation. Temptation to commit sin does come through lustful desires, fantasies, etc. but those lusts are not in themselves an act of sin.

If lust (desire) itself is an act of sin then Jesus committed sin because the Bible says that "every man is TEMPTED when he is drawn away in his own LUST," and that Jesus was TEMPTED like as we are,".

Being tempted is not an act of sin....

...Amen.
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 01-18-2012, 12:17 AM
 
Location: The western periphery of Terra Australis
24,682 posts, read 50,531,164 times
Reputation: 11862
Thanks Verna, makes sense!
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 01-18-2012, 02:12 AM
 
Location: Omaha, NE
306 posts, read 649,239 times
Reputation: 69
The section on the Sixth Commandment in Luther's Large Catechism might be of some help too:

The Large Catechism - Book of Concord
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 01-18-2012, 03:11 AM
 
Location: US
32,193 posts, read 18,158,621 times
Reputation: 2157
Quote:
Originally Posted by Verna Perry View Post
A good example of willful sin would be Adultery, which is an act of sin that occurs when a person chooses to set aside God's law and have sexual relations outside of marriage. Please take note that to commit Adultery is an act of sin, but the lust which precedes the decision is NOT AN ACT OF SIN, rather it is the manifestation of the Sin nature.

Jesus said:

"But I say unto you, That whosoever looketh on a woman TO lust after her hath committed adultery with her already in his heart." Matthew 5:28

Jesus was saying this: "The Pharisees have told you that you are committing Adultery only if you actually have relations with a woman,
but I say to you that it is the intent of your heart that God judges. If you look upon a woman lusting to have sex with her, and the only thing stopping you is the lack of opportunity, then you have already broken God's law in your heart."

The word TO means: "indicating intention, purpose or end." (Websters) If a man is looking on a woman with the intention of lusting after her then he certainly is not trying to avoid lust! He may be sure that his heart is still set upon evil. He may also be sure that if he would commit Adultery given the opportunity, he is not truly Born-Again because John says that "Whosoever is born of God doth not commit sin." (1 John 3:9)

Looking upon someone TO lust after them is a sin, but the Devil wants Christians to think that just looking at the opposite sex and feeling desire is also an act of sin. That is not true! It is simply the first stage of temptation. Temptation to commit sin does come through lustful desires, fantasies, etc. but those lusts are not in themselves an act of sin.

If lust (desire) itself is an act of sin then Jesus committed sin because the Bible says that "every man is TEMPTED when he is drawn away in his own LUST," and that Jesus was TEMPTED like as we are,".

Being tempted is not an act of sin....

...Amen.
The Jews have stages of the mind that are not considered sin until the act is perpetrated...I think Jeshua was talking about the difference between looking at a woman as a beautiful creature as opposed to looking at her and fantasyising...Either way I push that out of my mind when it comes in and pray for strength to overcome it...
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 01-18-2012, 06:29 AM
 
Location: The western periphery of Terra Australis
24,682 posts, read 50,531,164 times
Reputation: 11862
Quote:
Originally Posted by Richard1965 View Post
The Jews have stages of the mind that are not considered sin until the act is perpetrated...I think Jeshua was talking about the difference between looking at a woman as a beautiful creature as opposed to looking at her and fantasyising...Either way I push that out of my mind when it comes in and pray for strength to overcome it...
What if your admiration of her causes physical arousal, without actually imagining having sex with her?
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 01-18-2012, 06:36 AM
 
Location: Florida
5,261 posts, read 6,941,860 times
Reputation: 847
Quote:
Originally Posted by Trimac20 View Post
Thanks Verna, makes sense!
you're welcome Trimac.

God Bless.
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 01-18-2012, 07:25 AM
 
Location: Northern Wisconsin
10,248 posts, read 9,395,740 times
Reputation: 18321
For a young man to have an erection is a pretty normal thing, especially seeing a pretty girl. It doesn't mean he lusts after her from the heart. Lust comes from the heart, a desire to take the woman sexually if she is not his wife.
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 01-18-2012, 07:50 AM
 
Location: NY
9,131 posts, read 17,324,985 times
Reputation: 11673
Quote:
Originally Posted by Verna Perry View Post
A good example of willful sin would be Adultery, which is an act of sin that occurs when a person chooses to set aside God's law and have sexual relations outside of marriage. Please take note that to commit Adultery is an act of sin, but the lust which precedes the decision is NOT AN ACT OF SIN, rather it is the manifestation of the Sin nature.

Jesus said:

"But I say unto you, That whosoever looketh on a woman TO lust after her hath committed adultery with her already in his heart." Matthew 5:28

Jesus was saying this: "The Pharisees have told you that you are committing Adultery only if you actually have relations with a woman,
but I say to you that it is the intent of your heart that God judges. If you look upon a woman lusting to have sex with her, and the only thing stopping you is the lack of opportunity, then you have already broken God's law in your heart."

The word TO means: "indicating intention, purpose or end." (Websters) If a man is looking on a woman with the intention of lusting after her then he certainly is not trying to avoid lust! He may be sure that his heart is still set upon evil. He may also be sure that if he would commit Adultery given the opportunity, he is not truly Born-Again because John says that "Whosoever is born of God doth not commit sin." (1 John 3:9)

Looking upon someone TO lust after them is a sin, but the Devil wants Christians to think that just looking at the opposite sex and feeling desire is also an act of sin. That is not true! It is simply the first stage of temptation. Temptation to commit sin does come through lustful desires, fantasies, etc. but those lusts are not in themselves an act of sin.

If lust (desire) itself is an act of sin then Jesus committed sin because the Bible says that "every man is TEMPTED when he is drawn away in his own LUST," and that Jesus was TEMPTED like as we are,".

Being tempted is not an act of sin....

...Amen.
I cannot rep you again, but love the knowledge you are able to explain and share! This is a terrific explanation!
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 01-18-2012, 08:02 AM
 
Location: The western periphery of Terra Australis
24,682 posts, read 50,531,164 times
Reputation: 11862
Quote:
Originally Posted by Prairieparson View Post
For a young man to have an erection is a pretty normal thing, especially seeing a pretty girl. It doesn't mean he lusts after her from the heart. Lust comes from the heart, a desire to take the woman sexually if she is not his wife.
That squares with me.
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.


Reply
Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Message:


Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Christianity
Similar Threads

All times are GMT -6.

© 2005-2021, Advameg, Inc. · Please obey Forum Rules · Terms of Use and Privacy Policy · Bug Bounty

City-Data.com - Contact Us - Archive 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14, 15, 16, 17, 18, 19, 20, 21, 22, 23, 24, 25, 26, 27, 28, 29, 30, 31, 32, 33, 34, 35, 36, 37 - Top