U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Christianity
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 01-20-2012, 05:58 AM

2,779 posts, read 2,357,202 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mrs. Skeffington View Post
In the past 60 years, the only two Presidents that come to mind that haven't been adulterers are Jimmy Carter and Harry Truman. Dwight Eisenhower had an affair with his driver during World War II (Kay Summersby, I think her name was). Even Lyndon Johnson, as stomach turning as that vision may be, had at least one mistress. Warren Harding had numerous affairs (if you've seen pictures of his wife, you can probably understand why). FDR had a mistress - I believe she was with him when he died.

In the 1890's, Grover Cleveland's campaign was racked with scandal when it was brought out in the open that he had fathered a child out of wedlock, although he was unmarried at the time. Years later, when he was in his late 40's, he married 21-year-old Frances Folsom, and she became First Lady.

What Newt Gingrich did, although not right, is nothing new. American history is chock full of Presidential infideltiies. The only reason they were not focused on, is because the public did not know about them.
And you know what? We're not asking any of these politicians to be our spiritual leaders. We're asking them to restore the American dream, get people working again, get energy costs under control. Sure it would be great to have a morally good guy as President but it's nearly impossible anymore. Even if a person is morally good, the media will invent things about the person or make them out to be idiots.

Who in their right mind would want to run for president? The media pretty much destroys any repub. candidate.

Kate
Rate this post positively

Old 01-20-2012, 06:00 AM

6,370 posts, read 6,321,263 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lucky★ View Post
Will an adulteress become the next first lady? Also, can she use the tiffany baubles to escape eternal damnation? Just asking
I supposed this is more a question about damanation then politics since it is posted in the Christianity forum. The great thing is that everyone will eventually be put on the path to righteousness. There is no such thing as eternal damnation.

If there were such a thing it would mean that God really couldn't save the most determined sinner.

Old 01-20-2012, 06:00 AM

73,519 posts, read 40,999,994 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by katiemygirl View Post
He says he has repented and has converted. Who are we to pass judgement? Millions of people commit adultery including presidents (Kennedy, Clinton). Have you so soon forgotten what went on in the oval office under the desk? Were you as judgemental then? Were you one who cried loudly for impeachment because of moral degredation? Are u suggesting one cannot repent?

Did you actually hear Newt say this or was it reported by the heavily biased media which has always been in the tank for the dems? Are you someone who believes everything the media tells you.

Kate
I just mentioned Clinton in my previous post. I am not a Democrat, so I have no reason to defend Clinton.

Gingrich has "converted" several times, so is that supposed to mean something? Voters have the right to know who the candidates are, and this guy is morally corrupt. And he is a flip-flopper, just like Romney. Both supported universal healthcare before it became popular to oppose it. If you like to vote Republican, then there are better candidates than him, but of course it is your vote, so you can use it any way you want.

Old 01-20-2012, 06:01 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Finn_Jarber View Post
It's not looking good with these guys. Both Romney and Gingrich would drive the same policies as the current guy, so it leaves only Ron Paul.
Not true. There's still Santorum who by the way seems pretty moral.

Old 01-20-2012, 06:10 AM

Quote:
Not true. There's still Santorum who by the way seems pretty moral.
Yes, I like Santorum, but I think I will be pulling for Ron Paul because he is the only candidate who seems to understrand the root causes for the nations problems, and he is the only one who has clearly thought out solutions for them. He is also the only one who spends his time talking about his solutions as opposed to spending it on tearing down the other candidates and Obama.

Old 01-20-2012, 06:11 AM

Quote:
I just mentioned Clinton in my previous post. I am not a Democrat, to I have no reason to defend Clinton.

Gingrich has "converted" several times, so is that supposed to mean something? Voters have the right to know who the candidates are, and this guy is morally corrupt. And he is a flip-flopper, just like Romney. Both supported universal healthcare before it became popular to oppose it. If you like to vote Republican, then there are better candidates than him, but of course it is your vote, so you can use it any way you want.
I personally like Santorum, but I don't think he can win. I've watched almost all of the debates and Santorum seems the most sincere of all. Morally, he is a good man.

I will vote for anyone over the current guy who really wants to be king, not president.

I would even vote for you Finn.

Actually, when you think about it, God is the one who appoints world leaders to accomplish whatever His purposes are. It doesn't matter what we say, think or do. This may be one of the few things we can agree on.

Kate

Old 01-20-2012, 06:14 AM

Quote:
I would even vote for you Finn.
Thanks Unfortunately I won't be able to produce a long-form birth certificate, so I guess I'm out.

Quote:
Actually, when you think about it, God is the one who appoints world leaders to accomplish whatever His purposes are. It doesn't matter what we say, think or do. This may be one of the few things we can agree on.
Yes, this it true.

Old 01-20-2012, 06:20 AM

Quote:
Yes, I like Santorum, but I think I will be pulling for Ron Paul because he is the only candidate who seems to understrand the root causes for the nations problems, and he is the only one who has clearly thought out solutions for them. He is also the only one who spends his time talking about his solutions as opposed to spending it on tearing down the other candidates and Obama.
I agree. I like him too, but I'm not for legalizing drugs. Not too crazy about his foreign policy either though I do agree with some of what he says.

I just don't see him getting the nomination. Our best hope is his son Rand. Maybe 2016 or 2020. I hope I'm still around.

Old 01-20-2012, 08:01 AM

13,636 posts, read 23,018,749 times
Threads about politics do not belong in this forum..Plenty of threads about upcoming elections in the P&OC and sub forums..

closed
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.