Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Christianity
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-14-2012, 08:48 AM

2,981 posts, read 2,915,735 times

Advertisements

I have a question
because I don't know how to understand this:

If it wasn't for Europeans
bringing The Catholic religion to 'The Americas'?
What religion would 'Native (mexican) Americans have?

Do Mexicans not want Europeans in America?
But, want their religion to stay?

I'm not trying to be 'smart'.
I'm just trying to understand cause
I'm not Catholic nor Mexican.

Isn't The Catholic religion from Ireland?

Sorry I don't know much about Catholics, Mexicans or the Irish.
Hope I didn't offend anyone.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-15-2012, 06:08 AM

9,670 posts, read 9,938,192 times
Native Central American religion was a religion of witchcraft worship were they would sacrifice people to appease the gods of their belief , like they would cut out the heart of people and kill many people in their religion ....See the Mayan culture was so corrupt that The Lord God judged it and it was disband one thousand years ago, only to be revised today by false prophet exploiters....... Christianity was brought to Americas by Jesuit Priests, German missionaries , and Spanish and English and France explorers Even Christopher Columbus was called and lead by Jesus Holy Spirit...

Old 01-15-2012, 06:29 AM

1,727 posts, read 2,539,711 times
hmmm Interesting. I hope more people reply to this thread. I'm not a history buff by any means, but I find this stuff interesting, as long as it doesn't require a lot of research on my part.

Old 01-15-2012, 09:23 AM

3,066 posts, read 3,704,077 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by hljc View Post
Native Central American religion was a religion of witchcraft worship were they would sacrifice people to appease the gods of their belief , like they would cut out the heart of people and kill many people in their religion ....See the Mayan culture was so corrupt that The Lord God judged it and it was disband one thousand years ago, only to be revised today by false prophet exploiters....... Christianity was brought to Americas by Jesuit Priests, German missionaries , and Spanish and English and France explorers Even Christopher Columbus was called and lead by Jesus Holy Spirit...
RESPONSE:

Actually, the Jesuits had nothing to do with it since the Jesuit order wasn't founded until 1534 and the Spanish conquest began in 1520.

"Franciscan influence in the Yucatán can be considered unique because they enjoyed sole access to the area; no other religious orders, such as the Jesuits or the Dominicans were competing for the territory.Essentially, this meant that there was no one to defy the goings-on of the Franciscans at this time. They were able to use whatever method they deemed necessary to spread their beliefs, although at the beginning they tried to follow the “conversion programme” that had already been used in Mexico. (From Wikipedia)

When that didn't work their methods became very unpleasant!

Incidently, didn't God demand appeasement by the human sacrafice of his Son? So God agreed with the Mayan's in principle.

Old 01-15-2012, 06:24 PM

12,030 posts, read 9,279,269 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by RevelationWriter View Post
Catholicism is the oldest Christian religion and the 1st Pope was the Apostle Peter. The church was based in Rome. Probably because the Romans allowed Christianity in the year 313.

Protestants appeared many centuries later in Germany (XVI century). The Protestant faith has its origins in Catholicism.

Europeans are either Catholic or Protestants.

Old 01-15-2012, 11:47 PM

2,981 posts, read 2,915,735 times
I forgot about Roman-Catholic.

Does anyone know who brought
The Catholic religion to America?

Did the Spanards bring The Catholic Religion to America?

Sorry I don't know about History.

Old 01-16-2012, 05:22 AM

3,553 posts, read 5,132,903 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Julian658 View Post
Catholicism is the oldest Christian religion and the 1st Pope was the Apostle Peter. The church was based in Rome. Probably because the Romans allowed Christianity in the year 313.

Protestants appeared many centuries later in Germany (XVI century). The Protestant faith has its origins in Catholicism.

Europeans are either Catholic or Protestants.
Actually, Peter NEVER accepted the man made title of pope. He was an Apostle, like the rest of the Apostles.

Old 01-16-2012, 05:51 AM

5,261 posts, read 7,627,883 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by HotinAZ View Post
Actually, Peter NEVER accepted the man made title of pope. He was an Apostle, like the rest of the Apostles.
Amen Hot !

Old 01-16-2012, 06:27 AM

10,379 posts, read 10,850,449 times
Catholicism was brought to America by many imigrants. Anyone from France, Spain or Italy, would have most likely been Roman Catholic. Most of the rest of the European countries would have had substantial numbers of Roman Catholics among their imigrant populations. For example, I grew up in a town in Wisconsin that was mostly of German ancestry. Most of the population was evenly split between Roman Catholics and Lutherans. Our town had three large Catholic parishes, all with schools. There were at least 10 good size Lutheran churches, a small Methodist church, an Episcopalian congregation, and one very small humble Baptist church.

Last edited by augiedogie; 01-16-2012 at 06:28 AM.. Reason: typo

Old 01-16-2012, 07:18 AM

88,120 posts, read 83,978,350 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by RevelationWriter View Post
I have a question
because I don't know how to understand this:

If it wasn't for Europeans
bringing The Catholic religion to 'The Americas'?
What religion would 'Native (mexican) Americans have?

Do Mexicans not want Europeans in America?
But, want their religion to stay?

I'm not trying to be 'smart'.
I'm just trying to understand cause
I'm not Catholic nor Mexican.

Sorry I don't know much about Catholics, Mexicans or the Irish.
Hope I didn't offend anyone.
I think the bolded is probably one of the more bizarre questions I've ever seen on the Religion forum. Sorry, Reverend, but that one made my jaw drop.

You surely aren't serious. Rome has been the center of Catholicism since the earliest centuries. Ireland was a converted country. (If you like to indulge in, and are capable of, reading books, How The Irish Saved Civilization by Thomas Cahill is entertaining and informative and will give you the background on the Irish adoption of Catholicism)

The SPANISH are the Europeans who first made contact with what is now Mexico--which is why Mexico and most of that part of the world speak Spanish. Imagine that.

The Spanish also carried viruses, primarily smallpox, to which the native people of the Americas had no immunity. They started to die right and left, and noticed that their own gods didn't seem to be preventing the disease from spreading, but that the Spanish god was apparently protecting his people, since the Spanish weren't dying from "the disease that leaves holes in the face". This observation helped greatly in the conversion process in a world where the existence of germs and immunity was unknown.

In the US, Lord Baltimore set up Maryland as a Catholic colony. ("Mary" land. Get it?)
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Christianity