Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Christianity
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-14-2012, 08:13 AM

2,981 posts, read 2,939,338 times

Advertisements

- Jesus Said, 'I and My Father Are One' - John 10:30

Why is it believed Jesus and His Father are Three?

- Jesus Said, I and My Father are One.

Why is it believed that Jesus said God and I are One?

- The Jews believed Jesus made Himself equal with God.
Because Jesus Said, I and The Father are One.
John 10:30,31
For Jesus meant, He is The Son 0f God. - v.36
When He said I and my Father are One.
Not that He was equal with God.

John 20:17 - Jesus made the distinction between:
- His Father, as our Father.
- And His God, as our God.

Why don't we?

In the NKJV it is written of Paul saying: Col.2:2
"attaining to all riches of the full assurance of the understanding to the knowledge of the mystery of God, *both of The Father and of The Christ in Whom are hidden all the treasures of wisdom and knowledge."

But a Greek rendering is: 'attain to all the riches of a full assurance of the understanding to the full knowledge of the mystery of God; in which are stored up all the treasures of wisdom and knowledge." - Col.2:2
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-14-2012, 10:38 AM

1,534 posts, read 1,994,184 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by RevelationWriter View Post
- Jesus Said, 'I and My Father Are One' - John 10:30

Why is it believed Jesus and His Father are Three?

- Jesus Said, I and My Father are One.

Why is it believed that Jesus said God and I are One?

- The Jews believed Jesus made Himself equal with God.
Because Jesus Said, I and The Father are One.
John 10:30,31
For Jesus meant, He is The Son 0f God. - v.36
When He said I and my Father are One.
Not that He was equal with God.

John 20:17 - Jesus made the distinction between:
- His Father, as our Father.
- And His God, as our God.

Why don't we?

In the NKJV it is written of Paul saying: Col.2:2
"attaining to all riches of the full assurance of the understanding to the knowledge of the mystery of God, *both of The Father and of The Christ in Whom are hidden all the treasures of wisdom and knowledge."

But a Greek rendering is: 'attain to all the riches of a full assurance of the understanding to the full knowledge of the mystery of God; in which are stored up all the treasures of wisdom and knowledge." - Col.2:2

While I do agree that the Father is not three, the word 'one' in Jn. 10:30 means essence.

This passage in 10:30 helps unfold the intimate relationship between the Father and Christ. They were one in nature [phusis] or as the Aramaic says one in kyanna; the Divine nature.

His Divine nature has Him stating things such as the above from John and also: I am in the Father, and the Father is in me," "If you have seen the me you have seen the Father," "Before Abraham was, I was."

His humanity had Him stating these things: "My teaching is not my own," "I can do nothing without my Father in Heaven," "Not my will, but Your will." These show us Christ was both 100% human and 100% divine.

His humanity has ppl saying things such as, "He couldn't have been the Father or He was talking to Himself." Was He talking to Himself? No, it was His human nature that submitted to the Father.

That He was God in the flesh can be seen in 1 Corin. 12:3, Here is the v. in the KJV:

3 Wherefore I give you to understand, that no man speaking by the Spirit of God calleth Jesus accursed: and that no man can say that Jesus is the Lord, but by the Holy Ghost.

Here it is in from the AENT:

3 I therefore explain to you, that there is no man that speaks by the Spirit of Elohim, who says, that Y'shua is accursed: neither can a man say that Master YHWH is Y'shua except by the Ruach ha Kodesh.

Now back to John 10:30 which shows the unity of Christ and the Father.
In order to understand this unity we must look back to the OT.

In Ex. 23:20-22 we find the only Messenger that God sent to Israel where He stated, "My Name is in Him." This shows us Christ has a superior Name as also stated in Col. 1:16-19, and Phil. 2:9-10.This show us this Messenger and Christ are one and the same, have the Name of God [Yah] rather than El/Eloah/Elohim.

Isa. 9:6 tells us the name of Messiah is "The Everlasting Father," who obviously is God Himself/YHWH. Also Isa. 11:1-2 tells us Messiah, as the Root of Jesse will have the Spirit of God/YHWH.

We see the Spirit of God and the Holy Spirit [Ruach haKodesh] are one and the same as seen in Psa. 51:1-11 and Isa. 63: 1-11.

Then we see in Zech. 12:10 the only begotten Son is killed, but God/YHWH is "pierced," et asher dakaru. The 'et' serves as a direct object pointer: it shows what part of the Hebrew sentence is receiving the action.

Isa. 53:1 is important for it shows us that Christ was the arm of God, [and the NT shows us He was God's Hand]. This is, I believe, the only acceptable form of "Godhead" in the Scriptures; not 3 seperate 'persons' because the 'arm' is not seperate from the rest of the body, and has no independent will. Thus we see Christ had 2 natures which communicate with each other; thus explaining why Christ is not talking to Himslef when He prays to the Father.

And also explains His words such as,"my teaching in not my own," and "I can do nothing without the Father."
Or the human [nature] is subject to the divine [not my will] which is the only way the Scriptures cannot be broken.

And also explains, "no one comes to the Father but by me."

John 5:26 For as the Father hath life in himself; so hath he given to the Son to have life in himself;

Christ being God's Hand and Arm also helps the words in John 1:3 make more sense:

3 All things were made by him; and without him was not any thing made that was made.

Old 01-14-2012, 10:48 AM

28,956 posts, read 16,413,669 times
One in Spirit.

Old 01-16-2012, 12:32 AM

It is to my understanding that
God was only known to Israel has their God or Husband.

And that Jesus came to Show Them The Father.

Scripture states that Jesus' (Name) will be ('Called')
'Wonderful Counslor, Mighty God,
Everlasting Father, Piince 0f Peace" - Is.9:

Like, they shall (Call) His (Name) Immanuel. - Is.7:14

Or, 'His (Name) is (Called) The Word 0f God' - Rev.19:13

I don't scripturally see that he is God Himself.
Yes, He is of God, and sent from God. born of The Holy Spirit as the Son 0f God.
Called of God to show us not that He is God.
But to show us His Father is our Father.

He came in The Father's Name, with His Father authority, and His Father Doctrine.
born of His Father's Holy Spirit. He did not refuse those who worshiped Him.
His Father bore witness of Jesus, as His Son; not as God Himself.

Old 01-16-2012, 11:08 AM

322 posts, read 317,602 times
Jesus came with a message of love and unity and yet we fight over letters and forms. our minds want to be right ...free your mind and let your spirit rejoice in the truth.

PEace love and unity amoungst all people.. no matter what

Old 01-16-2012, 09:40 PM

Jesus Said, the First and greatest Commandment is loving God.
Not each other 'no matter what'.

Jesus Said, if you love Me you will obey Me.

How can we Love Him
if we don't understand what He Said
so we can obey Him?

Old 01-16-2012, 09:56 PM

63,943 posts, read 40,226,851 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by RevelationWriter View Post
Jesus Said, the First and greatest Commandment is loving God.
Not each other 'no matter what'.
You are wrong . . . the second commandment is to love each other and there were no preconditions on the love!
Quote:
Jesus Said, if you love Me you will obey Me.
Yes . . . and He said "love God and each other."
Quote:
How can we Love Him
if we don't understand what He Said
so we can obey Him?
The above hardly seems like it requires a degree in rocket science to understand . . . "love God and each other," period.

Old 01-16-2012, 10:16 PM

- Do we realize how much Jesus taught about The Father?

- Or did Jesus teach about being God?

"Let your light so shine before men
that they may see your good works
and glorify your Father in heaven." - Matt.5:16

"...and pray for those who spitefully use you
and persecute you, that you may be
sons of your Father in heaven.." - Matt.5:45

"...therefore you shall be perfect
just as your Father in heaven...." - Matt.5:48

"...you charitable deeds may be in secret
and your Father Who see in secret
will Himself reward you..." - Matt.6:5

"...pray to your Father in secret and in secret
your Father will reward you" - Matt.6:6

"For your Father knows the things you have need of
before you ask Him." - Matt.6:8

"..therefore pray, our Father in heaven
hallowed be Your Name..." - Matt.6:9

"...forgive men their trespasses
your heavenly Father will also forgive you." - Mat.6:14

Old 01-16-2012, 10:18 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MysticPhD View Post
You are wrong . . . the second commandment is to love each other and there were no preconditions on the love!
Yes . . . and He said "love God and each other."
The above hardly seems like it requires a degree in rocket science to understand . . . "love God and each other," period.
Quoting yourself, is not quoting scripture. -

Old 01-16-2012, 10:18 PM

28,956 posts, read 16,413,669 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MysticPhD View Post
The first is as the second, there is no difference.

Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Christianity