Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Christianity
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-24-2012, 12:02 PM

12,030 posts, read 9,352,642 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Our Lady of Guadalupe

From Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia
This article is about the Mexican icon. For the Spanish icon, see Our Lady of Guadalupe, Extremadura.
Our Lady of Guadalupe Location Tepeyac Hill, Mexico City Date December 12, 1531 Witness Saint Juan Diego Type Marian apparition Holy See approval May 25, 1754 during the Pontificate of Pope Benedict XIV Shrine Basilica of Our Lady of Guadalupe, Tepeyac Hill, Mexico City, Mexico. Our Lady of Guadalupe (Spanish: Nuestra Señora de Guadalupe), also known as the Virgin of Guadalupe (Spanish: Virgen de Guadalupe) is a celebrated Roman Catholic icon of the Virgin Mary. Under this title, she is officially proclaimed by the Roman Catholic Church as the Patroness of Americas, Empress of Latin America and Protectress of the Unborn Children.[1]

Many Mexicans pray mostly to the Virgin of Guadalupe.

Are they saved?

Why not?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-24-2012, 12:29 PM

1,435 posts, read 1,554,813 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Julian658 View Post

Are they saved?

Why not?
You really want to start this? I can see it now....Our Lady is really Ishtar in disguise, the pagan "Queen of Heaven" from the OT, Mary (who Our Lady of Guadalupe is) is a goddess to Catholics, they are worshiping her, talking to the dead is a sin since they can't hear us, you should only pray to God through Jesus Christ, our one and only mediator....yada yada yada...

I am an Italian-American Catholic, but since Our Lady of Guadalupe is the patroness of all the Americas, I, too, sometimes pray to her, not to seek salvation through her, but for help and intercession with her son, Jesus, since to Catholics, the saints are not really dead, but alive in heaven with Christ, and just as a live person on Earth can help and pray for us, so can the live people in heaven.

Old 01-24-2012, 12:31 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by cmforte View Post
You really want to start this? I can see it now....Our Lady is really Ishtar in disguise, the pagan "Queen of Heaven" from the OT, Mary (who Our Lady of Guadalupe is) is a goddess to Catholics, they are worshiping her, talking to the dead is a sin since they can't hear us, you should only pray to God through Jesus Christ, our one and only mediator....yada yada yada...

I am an Italian-American Catholic, but dince Our Lady of Gudalupe is the patroness of all the Americas, I, too, sometimes pray to her, not to seek salvation through her, but for help and intercession with her son, Jesus, since to Catholics, the saints are not really dead, but alive in heaven with Christ, and just as a live person on Earth can help and pray for us, so can the live people in heaven.
I actually admire those folks that are so devoted they walk for miles on their knees to see the Virgin.

But, the main question is:

Do we really believe God would not offer salvation to those folks?

Old 01-24-2012, 12:34 PM

1,435 posts, read 1,554,813 times
Quote:
I actually admire those folks that are so devoted they walk for miles on their knees to see the Virgin.

But, the main question is:

Do we really believe God would not offer salvation to those folks?
Since I'm a Catholic, you know where I stand on that and what my answer is. Now lets see what non-Catholics, especially fundamentalists and sabbatarians say...

Old 01-24-2012, 01:29 PM

2,817 posts, read 3,464,753 times
many are very devoted. They even know that it is not found anywhere in the bible but they still have faith in her to listen to their prayers. I think, not sure though, that most of them think the dead are in heaven somewhere, and that this guadalupe is listening to them as a middle man. Salvation is given as a gift for all.

Old 01-24-2012, 01:39 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Torpedos View Post
many are very devoted. They even know that it is not found anywhere in the bible but they still have faith in her to listen to their prayers. I think, not sure though, that most of them think the dead are in heaven somewhere, and that this guadalupe is listening to them as a middle man. Salvation is given as a gift for all.
Exactly!

How could devotion to the Mother of Jesus be idolatry?

Old 01-24-2012, 01:55 PM

6,822 posts, read 6,641,367 times
She will have a central role in uniting the World Religions for the coming false peace.

Old 01-24-2012, 02:05 PM

3,066 posts, read 3,726,352 times
Quote:

Are they saved?

Why not?
RESPONSE:

The Virgin of Guadalupe story is a legend, not history. The image, which was taken from Virgin of Guadalupe in Spain (Guadalupe is a Moorish-Spanish name for a river in Spain), was introduced by the Spanish (it's even on Cortes' flag). Check your history.

["The first record of the painting's existence is in 1556, when Archbishop Alonso de Montufar, a Dominican, preached a sermon commending popular devotion to Our Lady of Guadalupe, a painting in the chapel at Tepeyac, where certain miracles had lately been performed."

"Days later he was answered by Francisco de Bustamante, head of the Colony's Franciscans and guardians of the chapel at Tepeyac, who delivered a sermon before the Viceroy expressing his concern that the Archbishop was promoting a superstitious regard for a painting by a native artist, Marcos Cipac de Aquino."

The Juan Diego story was added later.

Incidentally, the image's crown disappeared about 1890. It's believed a new painting was introduced at that time. (Archbishop Monufar had a copy of the image made and sent to King Phillip of Spain. It is housed in a cathedral and it still has it's crown.

Last edited by ancient warrior; 01-24-2012 at 02:10 PM.. Reason: removed brackets

Old 01-24-2012, 02:17 PM

5,965 posts, read 7,023,465 times
If they have the peace that passes understanding dwelling in their hearts, they are saved. If they are tormented by doubt, they are not saved. I think many people don't understand what "salvation" is.

Note: I'm not Catholic nor do I practice rituals or pray to Mary. But I believe all will be saved because of what Christ has accomplished for us. Some have the assurance of that while in these mortal bodies. Some do not. I consider every person on the planet my "neighbor". Consider the story Jesus told of the Samaritan and the scripture about entertaining angels unaware. What if we all considered those things before every action? It would change the world.

Old 01-24-2012, 04:56 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Heartsong View Post
If they have the peace that passes understanding dwelling in their hearts, they are saved. If they are tormented by doubt, they are not saved. I think many people don't understand what "salvation" is.

Exactly!!!!!!!!!!

God knows the heart.

Last edited by Julian658; 01-24-2012 at 05:10 PM..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Christianity