Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Christianity
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-08-2012, 08:52 AM

12,030 posts, read 9,377,731 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bideshi View Post
Please cite scripture where Paul was "big on celibacy". I am aware of none.
I am surprised!

Fundamentalists usually know the bible quite well. Or maybe you should have a talk to your preacher for having deceive you during his anti catholic sermon. Read above, it was already explained.

Perhaps the desire to be anti Catholic is so strong that there blindness to certain passages of the bible that support celibacy.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-08-2012, 08:59 AM

10,564 posts, read 12,852,477 times
Some controling Christians like to insist that Jesus and his buddies got together and did not drink wine - that it was grape juice....great - "hey Jesus - lets get the boys and chicks together and drink some juice" - NOT! The associates of Jesus were all young guys and woman..not old men with white beards...they drank - and they drank to much..and they got into a lot of trouble doing it - I am sure that Jesus and his buddies would get loaded and shoot their mouths off against the authorities.....finally Jesus knew it was time to sober up..

"I will not drink of the fruit of the wine - till I see the kingdom of heaven" _ He knew if he wanted to get things done it had to be done sober - I suspect...when he was questioned by Pontius Pilate - that Jesus might have been to drunk to defend himself....also - this business about being speared on the cross and water - coming out of the hole in his abdomen - may have been a liver problem...Once the liver starts to shut down from alcohol abuse - the abdoninal cavity attempts to compensate - and one of the side effects is huge amounts of water forming in the cavity - liver disease - YEP - I would say that Jesus - got into a lot of trouble drinking.

Old 02-08-2012, 08:59 AM

Quote:
The women mentioned (Priscilla, Lydia, etc.) in the New Testament church are not described as having any "rank". Peter had a wife and the RCC claims him as their first Pope!
Peter was the first leader, however at the time the term Pope was not used.

Quote:
And I tell you that you are Peter, and on this rock I will build my church, and the gates of Hades will not overcome it.
Popes and priests were allowed to be married until the 11th century. You need to study your history a bit more. Hope this helps.

Old 02-08-2012, 09:05 AM

16,431 posts, read 22,247,759 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Oleg Bach View Post
"I will not drink of the fruit of the wine - till I see the kingdom of heaven" .
Please don't misquote the Bible. It's "fruit of the vine".

Jesus never drank wine to the point of drunkeness. Drunkeness is a sin and Jeus was without sin.

Old 02-08-2012, 09:05 AM

20,457 posts, read 12,850,404 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Julian658 View Post
I am surprised!

Fundamentalists usually know the bible quite well. Or maybe you should have a talk to your preacher for having deceive you during his anti catholic sermon. Read above, it was already explained.

Perhaps the desire to be anti Catholic is so strong that there blindness to certain passages of the bible that support celibacy.
I'm not anti-Catholic, but with the current problems in the Catholic church, it seems this policy would be reconsidered, based on 1 Cor. 7:9

Old 02-08-2012, 09:06 AM

16,431 posts, read 22,247,759 times
Quote:
I am surprised!

You're surprised because there is no such scripture.

Old 02-08-2012, 09:11 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jimmiej View Post
I'm not anti-Catholic, but with the current problems in the Catholic church, it seems this policy would be reconsidered, based on 1 Cor. 7:9

It is poor form to quote a single verse out of context. Post the entire passage and see for yourself.

NICE TRY!

Old 02-08-2012, 09:18 AM

20,457 posts, read 12,850,404 times
Quote:
It is poor form to quote a single verse out of context. Post the entire passage and see for yourself.

NICE TRY!
8 Now to the unmarried and the widows I say: It is good for them to stay unmarried, as I am. 9 But if they cannot control themselves, they should marry, for it is better to marry than to burn with passion.

What's your point?

Old 02-08-2012, 09:29 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jimmiej View Post
8 Now to the unmarried and the widows I say: It is good for them to stay unmarried, as I am. 9 But if they cannot control themselves, they should marry, for it is better to marry than to burn with passion.

What's your point?

You are either genuinely confused or you are playing a game.

Quote:

1 Corinthians 7

Concerning Married Life

1 Now for the matters you wrote about: “It is good for a man not to have sexual relations with a woman.” 2 But since sexual immorality is occurring, each man should have sexual relations with his own wife, and each woman with her own husband. 3 The husband should fulfill his marital duty to his wife, and likewise the wife to her husband. 4 The wife does not have authority over her own body but yields it to her husband. In the same way, the husband does not have authority over his own body but yields it to his wife. 5 Do not deprive each other except perhaps by mutual consent and for a time, so that you may devote yourselves to prayer. Then come together again so that Satan will not tempt you because of your lack of self-control. 6 I say this as a concession, not as a command. 7 I wish that all of you were as I am. But each of you has your own gift from God; one has this gift, another has that.

BTW, I wish the catholic church allowed marriage in priests. IN some instances, they actually do, but it is rather complicated.

I simply post the above to provide you the background as to why they looked for celibacy in priests.

Old 02-08-2012, 09:42 AM

3,483 posts, read 4,056,990 times
Quote:
Please don't misquote the Bible. It's "fruit of the vine".

Jesus never drank wine to the point of drunkeness. Drunkeness is a sin and Jeus was without sin.
That's interesting logic.
Jesus never sinned.
Drinking "to the point of excess" is a sin.
Therefore - Jesus never drank "to the point of excess".

Now you just have to supply the proof for the first two claims. This thread has been about the 2nd claim, so it would be premature to use the 2nd claim as a FACT in an argument FOR that fact before the proof is given. Do you see? Oh my head..

I like that logic, though! Let's do it again....

Jesus never sinned.
Getting an abortion is a sin.
Therefore - Jesus never got an abortion.

Hee hee! Again, the logic works - and it doesn't even need a proof for the second claim, let alone the first claim.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Christianity