Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Christianity
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-08-2012, 01:47 PM

6,822 posts, read 6,635,398 times

Advertisements

As a relatively new Christian alone without mentorship, one thing that I was concerned about was finding a good church. The first thing I looked at, was all the denominations and Christian cults and came to the conclusion I needed to learn my Bible first. So I spent a couple months studying both Christianity and the Bible before I stepped foot anywhere. After praying for a while, I finally made a move and and entered a little independent Baptist church. It was a little family-run Spirit led church.

Talk about feeling out of place though. I was the strange guy nobody knew sitting in the back. Everybody was extremely nice. I think the strongest thing about the congregation is that they understand the concept of liberty in grace. I'm not being pushed into doing this or that, but the invitation is there as the Spirit leads.

This is in contrast to my experience in Catholism when I was a teenager. When I missed a Sunday service I was considered anathema that was unable to receive the Eucharist until confession to a Priest. << This Legalism is what absolutely kills one's enthusiasm to serve in newness of the Spirit progressing to Spiritual maturity. Of course, at that time, I wasn't even Saved Justified in Christ so the decision to leave was pretty evident.

Give a Christian liberty to grow in their pace.

Lostpacket does your Church get into studying the Word of God? I tell you, when you get into it your priorities all change.

Check this guy out.

Dr Chuck Missler: Genesis Chapter 6 - Days of Noah 1-8 - YouTube

Church should be about fellowship with each other to show agape/charity love, learning about God, and Worshiping him in the Son Messiah Jesus.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-08-2012, 02:07 PM

2,529 posts, read 4,351,497 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Finn_Jarber View Post
What kind of church was it? I never heard of such mentor approach.
My first thought was the International Church of Christ, as they do that mentoring thing. Then the OP said it wasn't the church that set up the mentors, so scratch that.

OP, I agree with Miss Blue. Just tell them you're moving back home, and wish them well.

Old 02-08-2012, 02:18 PM

63,809 posts, read 40,087,129 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Miss Blue View Post
Lostpacket, I think you should just tell that congregation that you are going back home and leave it at that..They need no other reason..And that is the truth so you will have said all you need to say.

In the meantime do what you are doing now and spend as much time with your family as you want to and need to..I am a believer but my family (children, grand children and great grandchildren) is a gift from Him.

For myself it is more worthy to spend quality time loving and raising the next generation to believe on Him, love Him and the rest of His miraculous creation so they may pass it on to their generation.

The church is not in that building, although there are members of His Church there, but they are not the ones who try to put guilt in your heart..

I have never heard of a church putting new comers with a "mentor"

The only "mentor" a believer needs is the one who dwells within us..The Holy Spirit..

I am glad you place so much value and love on family and that you are returning.

jmho
Amen!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Christianity