Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Christianity
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-21-2008, 05:41 PM

16,259 posts, read 24,761,129 times

Advertisements

Isn't this the day that the Lord Jesus Christ was crucified? Beaten, tortured, hung on a cross and murdered? So what is so "good" about it? Actually it should be called "Evil Friday" or "Dark Friday". Only when he rose on Easter Sunday was it "good".
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-21-2008, 06:25 PM

1,932 posts, read 4,792,505 times
On the very day in history when Jesus was crucified, yes, I'm sure the disciples felt it was the darkest day of their life .. of the entire history of the world. I can't begin to imagine the suffering our saviour suffered on the cross.

Simply the physical pain must have been excruciating.. but the spiritual suffering was much, much worse. To take on all the sins of the world .. past, present, future .. so horrible the pain and suffering he underwent for you, me and everyone born up to that time through today... simply unimaginable.

However, it is only because he arose on the 3rd day that we can put his crucifixion into perspective. Once it became clear to the disciples why Jesus had to suffer and die ... to conquer sin and death for them and us ... then they were able to see how necessary that terrible Friday was. What sinful man and satan tried to put a stop to, the ministry of Jesus, God used to glorify Himself in the most powerful display of love ever known.

It is simply because Jesus was crucified and resurrected that we can now look back and see that yes, it was a Good Friday after all. It is one of the most humbling, yet joyful, celebrations we can have. We call it Good Friday because it was necessary to cleanse us all and bring us into reconciliation with our Creator, our God.

Old 03-21-2008, 08:32 PM

23,015 posts, read 34,381,249 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mams1559 View Post
On the very day in history when Jesus was crucified, yes, I'm sure the disciples felt it was the darkest day of their life .. of the entire history of the world. I can't begin to imagine the suffering our saviour suffered on the cross.

Simply the physical pain must have been excruciating.. but the spiritual suffering was much, much worse. To take on all the sins of the world .. past, present, future .. so horrible the pain and suffering he underwent for you, me and everyone born up to that time through today... simply unimaginable.

However, it is only because he arose on the 3rd day that we can put his crucifixion into perspective. Once it became clear to the disciples why Jesus had to suffer and die ... to conquer sin and death for them and us ... then they were able to see how necessary that terrible Friday was. What sinful man and satan tried to put a stop to, the ministry of Jesus, God used to glorify Himself in the most powerful display of love ever known.

It is simply because Jesus was crucified and resurrected that we can now look back and see that yes, it was a Good Friday after all. It is one of the most humbling, yet joyful, celebrations we can have. We call it Good Friday because it was necessary to cleanse us all and bring us into reconciliation with our Creator, our God.
Very well put mams! Jesus knew what was ahead of Him, there is verse I think in Psalms, sorry I can't remember exactly where, that says He was beaten so bad He did not look human. Yet He did this for us, gave His live that we could live and He would have done it all even if I was the the only one who would believe or if you were the only one who would believe.

Old 03-21-2008, 08:45 PM

756 posts, read 2,574,826 times
it is good= by His stipes we are healed

Old 03-21-2008, 10:19 PM

14,882 posts, read 17,156,182 times
Here is a little info that I found on it.

Why is the Friday before Easter called GOOD Friday?

I believe that we can consider it as good because of the powerful work of God which took place through the sacrifice of Jesus. Jesus suffered so much in coming in the flesh and in taking on the sins of the world. He suffered evil at the hands of man but really it was all a part of God's plan, God's work and it was good. God bless.

Old 03-22-2008, 08:24 AM

1,250 posts, read 3,501,383 times
Mams, great explanation. I would also like to ad this verse...

Hebrews 12:2
Let us fix our eyes on Jesus, the author and perfecter of our faith, who for the joy set before him endured the cross, scorning its shame, and sat down at the right hand of the throne of God.

As ILNC was saying, Jesus knew what had to be done. He did it because He knew the result would bring joy to himself and to mankind.

Old 03-22-2008, 09:10 AM

11,825 posts, read 12,491,540 times
God said that the soul that sins, it shall die. God's law also demands perfection. We also receive our soul upon conception. So it is impossible for us to meet God's demand to be perfect. In todays language, we spiritually are DOA.

Romans 3:10 "As it is written: "There is no one righteous, not even one; (no one means not even one, babies too)

Ephesians 2:1,3 (New International Version) "As for you, you were dead in your transgressions and sins"

3 "All of us also lived among them at one time, gratifying the cravings of our sinful nature and following its desires and thoughts."

Yet God being just, will not over look sin. The wages of sin is death. This is this great barrier between humans and the perfect God, sin and death.

So what is the solution -- Good Friday!

Ephesians 2: 4-5, 13-16 "But because of his great love for us, God, who is rich in mercy, made us alive with Christ even when we were dead in transgressions.....But now in Christ Jesus you who once were far away have been brought near through the blood of Christ. For he himself [Jesus] is our peace, who has made the two one and has destroyed the barrier, the dividing wall of hostility, by abolishing in his flesh the law with its commandments and regulations. His purpose was to create in himself one new man out of the two, thus making peace, and in this one body to reconcile both of them to God through the cross, by which he put to death their hostility."

Old 03-31-2008, 09:19 AM

3 posts, read 6,082 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by KevK View Post
Isn't this the day that the Lord Jesus Christ was crucified? Beaten, tortured, hung on a cross and murdered? So what is so "good" about it? Actually it should be called "Evil Friday" or "Dark Friday". Only when he rose on Easter Sunday was it "good".

without Jesus' gruesome death on the cross, there wouldn't be a price that was paid so that we could be forgiven. Jesus' blood washed away all of my sin. He took on the weight of all that i have done wrong and paid the price for it once and for all on the cross. it's a great friday. an amazing friday.

Old 03-31-2008, 12:37 PM

1,703 posts, read 5,142,752 times
I have to say I don't understand why such an emphasis is put on good Friday. I personally do not celebrate good friday but Easter Monday, the glorious day Jesus was ressurected. The miracle of Jesus returning to his father. The miracle that He lives.

Old 04-04-2008, 05:00 PM

1,655 posts, read 3,398,076 times
Good friday = remembering the sacrifice Jesus made !
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Christianity