Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Christianity
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 02-19-2012, 07:16 PM

12,030 posts, read 9,341,078 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Hello! I made a video about this. I do not hate Catholics either. I have Catholic friends and my grandmother is one. But I am concerned. The Host makes some good points, and I have to agree.
Catholics have always prayed to Mary, that is part of the religion and I see nothing wrong with that.

Christian hate is not Christian.

• Jonathan Swift
    We have just enough religion to make us hate, but not enough to make us love one another.
  • Kurt Tucholsky
    Those who hate most fervently must have once loved deeply; those who want to deny the world must have once embraced what they now set on fire.
  • Coretta Scott King
    Hate is too great a burden to bear. It injures the hater more than it injures the hated.
  • Oprah Winfrey
    You cannot hate other people without hating your self.
  • George Bernard Shaw
    Hatred is the coward's revenge for being intimidated.
  • Rene Descartes
    It is easy to hate and it is difficult to love. This is how the whole scheme of things works. All good things are difficult to achieve; and bad things are very easy to get.
  • Martin Luther King, Jr.
    Hatred paralyzes life; love releases it. Hatred confuses life; love harmonizes it. Hatred darkens life; love illuminates it.
  • Napoleon Bonaparte
    A true man hates no one.
  • Lord Byron
    Hatred is the madness of the heart.
  • Stephen King
    Monsters are real, and ghosts are real too. They live inside us, and sometimes, they win.
  • Victoria Wolff
    Hate is not a good counselor.
  • Charles Caleb Colton
    We hate some persons because we do not know them; and we will not know them because we hate them.
  • Sir Walter Ralegh
    Hatreds are the cinders of affection.
  • Arnold Schopenhauer
    Hatred comes from the heart; contempt from the head; and neither feeling is quite within our control.
  • Kathleen Norris
    Hate is all a lie; there is no truth in hate.
  • George Eliot
    Hatred is like fire -- it makes even light rubbish deadly.
  • Henry Emerson Fosdick
    Hating people is like burning down your own house to get rid of a rat.
  • Ivy Culler
    Hate less; live longer.

Old 02-19-2012, 07:58 PM

Hmm:

The HATE video was removed. Not sure if it was the poster or the moderator. In any event I found this nice man who happens to be a fundamentalist give a nice discussion on hate based on:

1 John 3:15

I John Chapter 3 verse 15-16 (Part 1).wmv - YouTube

To the person that posted the hateful video. Please don't feel bad the Internet is full of similar HATE websites.

I really believe that we as Christians need to unite and leave differences aside. I have freely accepted that other Christians interpret the Bible differently and I have no issues.

Praying to the Virgin Mary is not hurtful to non-Catholics. However, for many Catholics it is part of their religious tradition and it would be fantastic if one day we would consider ourselves the children of God despite the differences. I have learned to admire the mode of worship of Arab Muslims, Mormons, and Jews and I know it is possible to accept others.

Old 02-19-2012, 09:33 PM

28,097 posts, read 29,957,386 times
Julian, I listened to about half of the video, and found most of it to be pretty decent and reasonable. It bothered me, though, when he said he didn't think believers could demonstrate God's love and that you can't demonstrate something you don't have. Now, I'm not quite sure what he meant by "believers." To him, are "believers" those who believe in the Abrahamic God? Must they be Christians or may they be Muslims and Jews? More important, from my own personal perspective, would this individual consider people to be "believers" only if their theology mirrors his exactly? Do you think he considers people who pray to Mary, etc. to be "believers"? I think he should, and I think he should consider me to be a believer. Somehow, I wonder if he does, though.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Julian658 View Post
I really believe that we as Christians need to unite and leave differences aside. I have freely accepted that other Christians interpret the Bible differently and I have no issues.

Praying to the Virgin Mary is not hurtful to non-Catholics. However, for many Catholics it is part of their religious tradition and it would be fantastic if one day we would consider ourselves the children of God despite the differences. I have learned to admire the mode of worship of Arab Muslims, Mormons, and Jews and I know it is possible to accept others.
I agree completely. Morever, I have noticed that this attitude is pretty common among Catholics, which is why I have always enjoyed conversing with my Catholic friends about religion. We can all learn something of value from someone who does not share our own beliefs.

Old 02-19-2012, 10:30 PM

63,809 posts, read 40,077,272 times
Quote:
I think some of us are destroying Christianity and we need to move ahead into a more conciliatory, benevolent, and kinder view of religious differences.

It is quite possible that hard core fundamentalism and a Catholic Church that changes very slowly will lead to the demise of Christianity. To that we can add Jewish and Muslim extreme views. These folks also believe they are correct.

I don't leave logic and reason behind when I look at religion and I have concluded that everybody worships the same God in a completely different manner. The Jews think they are correct and so does the Muslims and Christians.

Christianity as well as other religions is set up on fear, reward, and punishment. Everybody has a Nirvana and a hell. That is also pagan

Can you believe that some folks believe in hell?????????

My Catholic Church is no different, but I am encouraged by the high level of education of many of our priests who now see God in a different more progressive manner.

As long as there are fundamentalists that think Catholics worship Satan we are in trouble.

Can you believe that there are people that believe in Satan???????

We need to mature.

God Bless!
Amen, Julian . . . we certainly do need to mature and apply the accumulated knowledge of over 2000+ years to these ancient texts to understand the real spiritual messages within them. Retaining ancient ignorance is no sign of Faith . . . it is just a sign of ignorance.

Old 02-20-2012, 05:10 AM

9,895 posts, read 1,270,754 times
Quote:
Julian658;23055044]Katie: It is a figure of speech, a preaching tool. How in the world can God be jealous? That is a mundane primitive human sensation based on insecurity.
Julian,

I can understand why you don't think God can be jealous.

Jealousy is an ugly word in our language. It is selfish, suspicious and distrusts. It is possessive, demanding, and overbearing. We view jealousy as a horrible trait and we hate it. How can we possibly apply these traits to a loving God?

Yet, God very clearly states, "I am a jealous God."

“You shall not make for yourself an idol, or any likeness of what is in heaven above or on the earth beneath or in the water under the earth. You shall not worship them or serve them; for I, the LORD your God, am a jealous God” (Exodus 20:4-5).

The word jealous in the Old and New Testaments means intense zeal or fervor over something dear to us. Being jealous and being zealous are essentially the same thing in the Bible. God is zealous, and wanting to protect what is precious to Him. This is not the same as the "jealousy" we think of in our English language.

Remember when Moses came down from the mountain with the two tablets of stone only to find the people of Israel worshipping the golden image of a calf? God's jealousy was manifested through His servant Moses. Moses took the stone tablets, threw them to the ground, then burned the calf grinding it to powder. This was an expression of God's jealousy operating through Moses.

When things calmed down, God spoke to Moses and said,

“Watch yourself that you make no covenant with the inhabitants of the land into which you are going, lest it become a snare in your midst. But rather, you are to tear down their altars and smash their sacred pillars and cut down their Asherim—for you shall not worship any other god, for the LORD, whose name is Jealous, is a jealous God” (Exodus 34:12-14).

God says His name is Jealous! He zealously desires exclusive devotion and worship. Read what He says about Himself.

I am the LORD, that is My name;
I will not give My glory to another,
Nor My praise to graven images (
Isaiah 42:8)

God also says,

“I shall be jealous for My holy name” (Ezekiel 39:25).

As christians, we need to be jealous for Him. We should exalt Him above everyone and everything. We should be dedicated to living for His honor and zealously committed to doing His will.

Our goal should be to show the world that our God is the one true and living God!

So you see Julian, this is not a figure of speech. It is not a preaching tool. It is not a mundane primitive human sensation based on insecurity. You must do your own research on the word "jealous" in order to understand exactly what God means when He says, "I am a jealous God."

God Bless,

Katie

Old 02-20-2012, 05:28 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MysticPhD View Post
Amen, Julian . . . we certainly do need to mature and apply the accumulated knowledge of over 2000+ years to these ancient texts to understand the real spiritual messages within them. Retaining ancient ignorance is no sign of Faith . . . it is just a sign of ignorance.
Deleted by Katie -

Last edited by MissKate12; 02-20-2012 at 05:39 AM..

Old 02-20-2012, 05:44 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Katzpur View Post
Julian, I listened to about half of the video, and found most of it to be pretty decent and reasonable. It bothered me, though, when he said he didn't think believers could demonstrate God's love and that you can't demonstrate something you don't have. Now, I'm not quite sure what he meant by "believers." To him, are "believers" those who believe in the Abrahamic God? Must they be Christians or may they be Muslims and Jews? More important, from my own personal perspective, would this individual consider people to be "believers" only if their theology mirrors his exactly? Do you think he considers people who pray to Mary, etc. to be "believers"? I think he should, and I think he should consider me to be a believer. Somehow, I wonder if he does, though.

I agree completely. Morever, I have noticed that this attitude is pretty common among Catholics, which is why I have always enjoyed conversing with my Catholic friends about religion. We can all learn something of value from someone who does not share our own beliefs.
Hi Katz,

Haven't seen you in a while my friend. Hope you are well.

I have no clue what this video is that you have mentioned. Maybe it was posted after I shut down last night? I don't even see the page it was removed from.

Just wondering if you could give your opinion of God's statement, "I am a jealous God."

God Bless,

Katie

Old 02-20-2012, 06:01 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by katiemygirl View Post
Julian,

I can understand why you don't think God can be jealous.

Jealousy is an ugly word in our language. It is selfish, suspicious and distrusts. It is possessive, demanding, and overbearing. We view jealousy as a horrible trait and we hate it. How can we possibly apply these traits to a loving God?

Yet, God very clearly states, "I am a jealous God."

“You shall not make for yourself an idol, or any likeness of what is in heaven above or on the earth beneath or in the water under the earth. You shall not worship them or serve them; for I, the LORD your God, am a jealous God” (Exodus 20:4-5).

The word jealous in the Old and New Testaments means intense zeal or fervor over something dear to us. Being jealous and being zealous are essentially the same thing in the Bible. God is zealous, and wanting to protect what is precious to Him. This is not the same as the "jealousy" we think of in our English language.

Remember when Moses came down from the mountain with the two tablets of stone only to find the people of Israel worshipping the golden image of a calf? God's jealousy was manifested through His servant Moses. Moses took the stone tablets, threw them to the ground, then burned the calf grinding it to powder. This was an expression of God's jealousy operating through Moses.

When things calmed down, God spoke to Moses and said,

“Watch yourself that you make no covenant with the inhabitants of the land into which you are going, lest it become a snare in your midst. But rather, you are to tear down their altars and smash their sacred pillars and cut down their Asherim—for you shall not worship any other god, for the LORD, whose name is Jealous, is a jealous God” (Exodus 34:12-14).

God says His name is Jealous! He zealously desires exclusive devotion and worship. Read what He says about Himself.

I am the LORD, that is My name;
I will not give My glory to another,
Nor My praise to graven images (
Isaiah 42:8)

God also says,

“I shall be jealous for My holy name” (Ezekiel 39:25).

As christians, we need to be jealous for Him. We should exalt Him above everyone and everything. We should be dedicated to living for His honor and zealously committed to doing His will.

Our goal should be to show the world that our God is the one true and living God!

So you see Julian, this is not a figure of speech. It is not a preaching tool. It is not a mundane primitive human sensation based on insecurity. You must do your own research on the word "jealous" in order to understand exactly what God means when He says, "I am a jealous God."

God Bless,

Katie
That is why I never put much weight on the OT.

In the OT God is not portrayed in nice manner. This is probably part of the Jewish tradition and residual paganism. There is a lot of destruction and petty behavior. The symptoms of jealousy are obvious. I don't accept or see God in that manner. However, I don't have the eyes of people that lived a long time ago.

AS I said, some of the writers of the Bible don't do justice to God, but that is probably the best they could do.

Old 02-20-2012, 06:33 AM

Quote:
That is why I never put much weight on the OT.

In the OT God is not portrayed in nice manner. This is probably part of the Jewish tradition and residual paganism. There is a lot of destruction and petty behavior. The symptoms of jealousy are obvious. I don't accept or see God in that manner. However, I don't have the eyes of people that lived a long time ago.

AS I said, some of the writers of the Bible don't do justice to God, but that is probably the best they could do.
You missed the point. You cannot judge God by human standards. You can't make Him into what you want Him to be. God is very zealous for His people. He always has been and always will be.

Julian, men did not write the Bible. GOD DID! Men may have held the pen, but it was the Holy Spirit that guided their hands. The words of the Bible do not belong to men. They originate from God.

Jesus, Himself, constantly quoted scripture from the Old Testament. Do you think He thought of the Old Testament the way you think of it?

If you never pick up a Bible and read it, you can't possibly have a correct view of it. That would be like me telling you England is a bad place to visit. I've never been to England.

Have a great day!

God Bless,

Katie

Old 02-20-2012, 07:52 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by katiemygirl View Post
You missed the point. You cannot judge God by human standards. You can't make Him into what you want Him to be. God is very zealous for His people. He always has been and always will be.

Julian, men did not write the Bible. GOD DID! Men may have held the pen, but it was the Holy Spirit that guided their hands. The words of the Bible do not belong to men. They originate from God.

Jesus, Himself, constantly quoted scripture from the Old Testament. Do you think He thought of the Old Testament the way you think of it?

If you never pick up a Bible and read it, you can't possibly have a correct view of it. That would be like me telling you England is a bad place to visit. I've never been to England.

Have a great day!

God Bless,

Katie

The Bible, in particular the OT cannot be the ultimate word of God. What you see is the interpretation of the men regarding God.

Quote:
  1. "I do not permit a woman to teach or to have authority over a man. She must be quiet." (1 Timothy 2:12)
  2. "Go, now, attack Amalek, and deal with him and all that he has under the ban. Do not spare him, but kill men and women, children and infants, oxen and sheep, camels and asses." (1 Samuel 15:3)
  3. "You shall not let a sorceress live." (Exodus 22:18)

The God that I know and love is not like that. That is why for me the Bible is just a brochure written by men.

I fully understand that the doctrine of Sola Scriptura is based on the fact that the Bible is the faithful word of God. I simply have a different point of view. Interestingly the very nasty passages of the bible are never read in mass.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Christianity