Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Christianity
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-20-2012, 04:24 PM

9,690 posts, read 10,018,190 times

Advertisements

There are a few Bible which do contradict the Lord and His character which are ; NLV, which hold up the term `pride` which contradict the Lord ,;then there is the ` message version ` which does the same thing with the term `pride`, ;then there is old Spanish versions from 1500s to 1990s which changed and remove all fear of God ,..; then there is Chinese versions which ripped out the whole book of Revelation.... Most other versions are mostly alright and Holy Spirit will recognize the Word are from God and bless those who are believing scripture for a blessing from the Lord Jesus .....
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-20-2012, 04:24 PM

173 posts, read 345,579 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Asheville Native View Post
If this "book" (generic term) is the infallible word of this god.......... why are there so many different versions?

Does this give you even the slightest clue as to why many dismiss it as nothing more than ancient superstitions.
This is not weather or no you believe the Bible. The Book is translated, therefor different translations are easier for certain people to read.

Matthew 18:3
... and said, "Verily I say unto you, unless ye be converted and become as little children, ye shall not enter into the Kingdom of Heaven (NIV)

... and said, “Assuredly, I say to you, unless you are converted and become as little children, you will by no means enter the kingdom of heaven. (New King James Version)

He said, “For sure, I tell you, unless you have a change of heart and become like a little child, you will not get into the holy nation of heaven. (New Life Version)

Each one is a little bit different, but they all have the same meaning.

To the OP, I'd suggest the NIV version.

Old 02-20-2012, 05:06 PM

11,825 posts, read 12,493,260 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Droppin By View Post

So back to my original question, is there a "right" Bible? Does it depend on your chosen religion (as in Methodist vs Catholic, etc.)? Is there one that just covers all Christian religions under one hat? Or all they all the same, just different covers (literally & figuratively)? Just looking at a few websites, one has 3000+ listings under "King James Bible" and another has 95000+ listings for "bible". I searched King James Bible because it's the one I've heard most about...come to find it comes in 3000 forms?!

Sorry if I've offended anyone, but I don't know how to ask the above. Thanks in advance for all replies....
The Bibles that have been considered "right" has been:
The KJV 1611
The ESV... English Standard Version
The NKJV ... New King James Version
The NIV 84 ... New International Version
The AAT .... An American Translation
The HCSB .... Holman Christian Standard Bible
The NASB .... New American Standard Bible (1995 edition)

There is only one true religion and the balance are all false because they have one thing in common:
  • All false religions are works based in some way \ shape
  • The only true religion is by faith not by works \ obedience to the law
Another good way to reconize a false religion is if there is no cross in them
"We preach Christ crucified" is the message of the truth

Old 02-20-2012, 05:16 PM

59 posts, read 128,506 times
Thank you all for your opinions and input. I guess more accurately I was looking for what would be a good "translation" style for me to read. Knowing the types (NIV, NKJV, etc.) I can go forward in finding one that will allow me to learn in a setting I'm comfortable with

Old 02-20-2012, 05:24 PM

9,341 posts, read 29,685,492 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by twin.spin View Post
There is only one true religion ...
Yes. It is called Judaism.

Quote:
Originally Posted by twin.spin View Post
and the balance are all false because they have one thing in common ...
And, that thing is the idolatrous worship of Jesus of Nazareth

Old 02-20-2012, 05:36 PM
Status: "Apparently the worst poster on CD" (set 28 days ago)

27,647 posts, read 16,133,597 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Walter Greenspan View Post
Yes. It is called Judaism.

Oy vey, is it shabbat time yet?

Old 02-20-2012, 05:41 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by saltine View Post
Oy vey, is it shabbat time yet?
Nah, you're few days early.

Old 02-20-2012, 06:30 PM

9,455 posts, read 12,546,803 times
Quote:

As a Jew who has sought the Lord in this matter, I disagree. Christians worship G-d. We just happen to believe that Jesus is the messiah and G-d chose to manifest Himself in a human body. Is G-d not capable of such things?

Old 02-20-2012, 06:34 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr5150 View Post
As a Jew who has sought the Lord in this matter ...
A Jew who commits idolatry by the worship of Jesus of Nazareth is no longer a Jew.

Old 02-20-2012, 06:41 PM

9,455 posts, read 12,546,803 times
Quote:
A Jew who commits idolatry by the worship of Jesus of Nazareth is no longer a Jew.
So I've been told. But honestly, I find no salvation in the Jewish religion. How is it that we are commanded to make sacrifices in the Temple to atone for sins, yet when was the last time you did so? Is the Torah invalid? And if so by whose authority? Where is it written that Mitzvah or two makes up right with G-d?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Christianity